....wolf's in your hunting areas....

bigbuck

I have read several posts concernig wolves and how they are damaging the elk population I was wandering what states have them and how in the HECK did they get their? where they brought in like the yotes where brought in were I live or did they just expand themselves . I will appreciate all of your insite Thanks

Bigbuck

If you do a Google search I'm sure you will find tons of info on the wolf problems thru out the west and how it all started. Where I live here at the north end of the Hells Canyon Wilderness in Idaho they have not yet done a lot of damage. I saw a pair last winter down near the Snake River and in talking with fish and game was told that they were probably just passing through as there were no known packs here yet. My neighbor early this fall saw a pack of five about a mile above my place. There are lots of elk here but the deer this year were very slim. Lots of coyote's so can't really blame the wolf. I have not personally seen any sign tracks or wolves this year and I'm in the mountains every day. Hopefully a pack won't set up house keeping here.

They were re-introduced and are doing what they were intended to do. Replace humans for game management. Available tags in areas that contain wolf populations are declining at a rapid rate.

Steve

I saw two big black wolves last year with deer hunting in Michigan....our camp is in the west end of the upper pennisula, highest population of wolves in the Michigan is in the county we hunt. Last year we saw a total of 13 wolves. Use to see 20+ deer a day and now its a good season if you see 20 total, an amazing season if one of those is a buck.

The two wolves I saw, saw me first and before I could shoulder my rifle they were up the hill and over the top covering 100 yards in 1 1/2 foot of snow in no time. A couple of the guys at camp are scared of them and other things that go bump in the night, if they hear a pack in the area they are on the 4 wheelers before its dark out.....like they dont realize their rifles fire bullets.

The wolve's were introduced here in Idaho and they shouldn't have been. We already had resident populations here and now we have a problem. The fish and game have seen fit to put a 220 wolf season together and have sold 12,000 tags but half way through the season only around 110 wolves have been harvested.
At present the main problem in my hunting areas are not the wolves, but the people in 4 wheelers and motorcycles. They come into the field in the early spring and never leave the whole summer. They harrass the wildlife durring the calving season right up to the rut. Most are not necessarly hunters but clubs up to 100 or more members at a time. The number of animals is down not only because of the wolves but due to fewer young being born due to the pressure.

In Montana the reintroduction was FORCED on the locals by out of state interests with a lot more money than brains. Our opinions and vetos's meant nothing, those "hairy maggots" were shoved down our throat and up our A**!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.