Wolf video, Please take 7 min to watch

I knew that I would stir the pot!
Up here in the east Kootenays , we have about 7 packs of wolves.
Over the last 5-10 years our herds of moose and elk have come back big time,
I don't know if it is because of a stricter hunting season for a 6 point elk season, and a mature moose season.
Thru our wild life CO's , we have been informed that the black bear is harder
on the moose and elk compared to the wolves!
I know , from watching the black bear in the calving season, that they are always around , finding and taking the elk and moose calves.

I am like most of the rest of you, see, shoot it, if you have the tags.
There is so many myths about the wolves that no body knows what to believe in!!!

I knew that I would stir the pot!
Up here in the east Kootenays , we have about 7 packs of wolves.
Over the last 5-10 years our herds of moose and elk have come back big time,
I don't know if it is because of a stricter hunting season for a 6 point elk season, and a mature moose season.
Thru our wild life CO's , we have been informed that the black bear is harder
on the moose and elk compared to the wolves!
I know , from watching the black bear in the calving season, that they are always around , finding and taking the elk and moose calves.

I am like most of the rest of you, see, shoot it, if you have the tags.
There is so many myths about the wolves that no body knows what to believe in!!!

Then enlighten us with your knowledge based on good evidence.

Stirring the pots ok, but adding to it's better.
I've been trying to narrow down which wolf you have there in the Kootenays. Internet hasn't helped much, is it Canis Lupus Occidentalis otherwise known as the Yukon or Mckenzie Valley wolf, or Canis Lupus Iremotus also called the Rocky Mountain or Timberwolf? Your seven packs can you tell us their number, and over how much territory they are in? Do you have a season to hunt/trap them?
It would be great if they were the old timberwolf, a good side by side comparison could be made. If the issue ever was endangered species, the next move to push the Mckenzie Valley strain to Mexico will cause the smaller wolf species in their path to disappear.
Trying to determine which wolf you are dealing with, one thing I found interesting was there were some environmental groups in the 1990's that joined in the lawsuit trying to stop the transplantation of Canadian wolves. They said it was bad science to put species where they never existed historically-you know like before the white man.

I've been trying to use google myself to see with type of Wolf we have here in the east kootenay- Rocky mountain- Elk Valley.
Can't find nothing on the type or the numbers, I can find a few figure's for the west Kootenays.
But when I was talking to our locals Co's last Fall, He stated that the seven packs that are in the valley, there numbers are appro. 6-8 member's per pack.
Now the Elk valley is about 100 miles by 6 wide and this will include the Fording Valley, which is 20x5 miles.
These wolves do migrate between B.C. and Montana.
I guess the next time I see our local trapper I will ask him as to what tpye of wolf he traps. He takes three or four wolves a year.
I have only managed to get one shot at one wolf a few years back, but as luck would have it , I missed at 500 yds.
I have seen two packs in the last couple of years , both where in different valleys.
I have talk to a couple of ranchers and they have yet had any problems with the wolves, just the human kind!!

Thank you for checking on those numbers, and the link. I'm gone hunting for a bit, might check with your CO when I get back. 7 packs at 6-8 members gives 56 wolves. In Idaho I don't know the size reference, but unit 10 & 12 game department numbers are 75-100
wolves. This type of wolf has been observed in packs of 20 plus, with 10-12 very common.
The Lolo elk unit I'm talking about had 16000 elk pre-wolf in a few years the number is less than 2000. Those numbers are game department numbers which many feel are a bit "optimistic". The F&G is also officially noting, in that 2000 there aren't many if any calves. I can't quite laugh at the deer in the headlight look of some of the 'biologist" wear these days as Federal money dries up, and tag sales are off $3 million, and the ground is coming up fast. The Yellowstone elk herd has gone from about 20,000-4000 and cow calf ratio is also in the toilet. Shiras Moose are also gone from many units.
I'm glad your elk and moose are doing well, but this is our experience.

For those of you that haven't seen the recent 'Crying Wolf' DVD, please go to: [ame=http://vimeo.com/28858208]Crying Wolf Movie (HD) on Vimeo[/ame].

Unfortunately, it cannot be seen in it's entirety online anymore.

However, you will see several clips from it (some containing expanded interview material) to the right of the your computer screen in vertically oriented fashion. Watching these clips will start to give a sense of the issues the DVD delves into concerning wolves and wolf management in the lower 48. This is one of the best educational tools at our disposal for folks to begin to see some wolf history, how wildlife management works in this country and what wolves, too long protected by the ESA, are doing.

Follow the link: Crying Wolf to purchase. Well worth the small investment...

Review from Jim Beers:

'AN ASTONISHED OLD MAN'

"I have just finished watching the most encouraging stroke of truth and justice that this old man has seen or heard in a long time. Jeffrey D. King's recent production, "Crying Wolf" has buoyed my hope for our national future amidst the national dilemma resulting from the environmental/animal rights assault on the rights, freedom, culture, and traditions of the United States of America. No small part of my utter astonishment is the fact that this movie was made by a young man while 18 to 20 years of age as his first production. My faith in future generations to provide for the Nation, despite the discouraging half-truths and lies that bombard them daily, is not only renewed but happily confirmed.

I recommend that everyone that reads what I write, every grade and high school, every college environmental class, every dog owner, every rancher, every logger, every hunter, every fisherman, every trapper, every hiker, every birdwatcher, every animal owner/manager/user/lover, every bureaucrat, every politician, every rural American, and every urban/suburban American watches this amazing presentation made in the midst of magnificent American landscapes but of real concern to all Americans from the highest high-rise to a desert cabin in Death Valley. It is about all of us and OUR future."

28 September 2011

gunpower,

Spend some time at: Home ...

Human/wolf interactions:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en&refer=&sid=aiYa86ToVbPE

http://rliv.com/pic/Wolves Kill Man.pdf

Edit: Added: Kenton Carnegie is not the only victim of the "harmless wolf" message. So was 24-yearold Wildlife Biologist, Trisha Wyman, who was killed on April 18, 1996 by a captive wolf pack in Ontario." See below link. This is one of the articles, written by Dr. Valerie Geist, that every hunter, outdoorsman, etc., should read.

http://rliv.com/wolf/Carnegie.pdf

http://saveelk.com/wolf_053.htm

I've seen several wolves on Vargas Island over the years myself...in your province. More than once, I've woken up to find wolf tracks in the sand circling my tent at spots all along the west coast of Vancouver Island. And you know what the maddening thing is? I can't carry a handgun to protect myself!!

There have been several other wolf attacks on Vancouver Island as well. This is just one of several well documented attacks that I know of. Once you start researching this issue, you find more and more.

http://saveelk.com/wolf_052.htm

And, of course, the recent death of the female teacher at the hands of wolves in AK.

There are MANY more incidents around the world that we never hear about.

You don't have to spend hardly any time at all in MT or ID before you start hearing many stories. I don't know that many people in MT, but spend a fair amount of time there and have heard several first hand accounts of some pretty hair-raising situations with wolves.

That politically correct line that wolves don't attack or kill people is absolute bull. Spend some time reading the information put out by famed wildlife biologist Dr. Valerie Geist, who happens to live in the same province you do over on Vancouver Island.

Last edited:
Western Great Lakes wolves delisted by USFWS today!

Let's continue to support Big Game Forever and keep contacting congress regarding this issue.

Below from email sent by Big Game Forever today:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western Great Lake Wolves delisted today!

Folks,

Huge breaking news today. Wolves are now officially delisted in the Western Great Lakes. Interior Secretary Salazar made the announcement this morning. The delisting rule takes affect in 30 days. Wisconsin plans to start managing wolves on February 1, 2012. We are waiting from official announcements from Minnesota and Michigan as well.

Another very important aspect of the delisting is that USFWS has rejected arguments that two species of wolves exist in the Western Great Lakes. What this means is that all wolves can be managed without complications that could result from two different wolf species designations.

The publication of this delisting rule does not stop litigation challenges to the Western Great Lakes delisting. Watch for any legal challenges to the delisting in coming weeks that could stop management actions in Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota.

However, this is another important step forward that deserves our support. More importantly it confirms what Big Game Forever and sportsmen all over America have been saying. Wolves are not endangered. It is now time for states to be able to manage their wolf populations.

--
Ryan Benson
Big Game Forever - Protecting Big Game Abundance for Future Generations

jmden,

As I read the documents and watched the videos, as I await a phone call from my LTB Son in Law with lat/lon of wolf pack that is in the area of where I will be elk hunting next year. 13 yr old grandson and I both expect to get our first elk about then.:)

It looks like the grand kid is gonna get a carry weapon and be taught its proper and accurate use. I'll see to it.

I manage the coyote population behind my house. I suppose I can manage, or contribute to the management of a woof pack up in the high country. Two woofs have been taken out of the pack so far in 2011.

Why am I rambling on?

I think, for the first time in my life, I've become an activist!!!

Unfortunately last weekend I found three sets of tracks on my property in northern Minnesota. I know they have been in the area for quite some time but this is the first time I have seen sign.

There is a glimmer of hope as they have been just delisted in MN. The population is currently 3000. They say that is double of what they had targeted.

Attachments

• 2011-12-18_11-18-39_742.jpg
    2011-12-18_11-18-39_742.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 11
jmden,

As I read the documents and watched the videos, as I await a phone call from my LTB Son in Law with lat/lon of wolf pack that is in the area of where I will be elk hunting next year. 13 yr old grandson and I both expect to get our first elk about then.:)

It looks like the grand kid is gonna get a carry weapon and be taught its proper and accurate use. I'll see to it.

I manage the coyote population behind my house. I suppose I can manage, or contribute to the management of a woof pack up in the high country. Two woofs have been taken out of the pack so far in 2011.

Why am I rambling on?

I think, for the first time in my life, I've become an activist!!!

I hear you, Roy. The way wolves have been handled in this country by the Feds and overreaching federal judges spurned on by extreme environmentalists and extreme environmentalism philosophy...if you are a hunter that wants to have some success hunting in the future or for future generations, you feel compelled to do something to be heard.

Carefully read through the points that detail the difference in habits/actions between these two very different types of wolves in this email link below from one of the people most involved in documenting the existence of the wolves that were here before the non-native, invasive Canadian Grey wolf was introduced:

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011...ain-wolves-v-introduced-canadian-gray-wolves/

The information is this email is and should be a major sticking point in this issue in my (albeit fallible) mind.

The Feds helicopter net gunned a very different wolf from not too far over the Canadian border, brought it back south across the 49 parallel and suddenly it's 'endangered'.

Think about that. The whole thing is a complete farce.

Dr. Val Geist is quoted as saying that 50% of a given wolf population would have to be killed every year for years to have an appreciable effect on increasing elk populations in the same areas. See below link:

http://explorethebitterroot.com/rem...es-unlikely-to-help-declining-elk-populations

From above article: "Renowned wolf biologist, Dr. L. David Mech told me in a recent interview that removing wolves from the West Fork region would probably have little to no effect on restoring elk numbers. Wolves have a high birth rate and new wolves are likely to quickly claim territory opened by killing the current wolves. Dr. Mech believes we would have to remove far more wolves than the Federal Government will consider allowing to have any chance at helping the elk population."

This is a serious issue, made much more serious because of the kind of animal introduced. You have to really wonder about the mindset of the folks in the USFWS that were willing to rob 60 million+ dollars from the Pittman-Robertson fund in 1994ish--my money and your money from excise taxes on firearms ammunition etc. set up in 1936, I believe, largely to be given back the the states to manage their wildlife. Watching this interview with Jim Beers, who came out of that organization and saw for years what was going on, sheds some light on this:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/28939194"]Crying Wolf - Jim Beers: The Demise of Conservation on Vimeo[/ame]

I'd encourage all to watch this and contemplate a bit.

Carefully read through the points that detail the difference in habits/actions between these two very different types of wolves in this email link below from one of the people most involved in documenting the existence of the wolves that were here before the non-native, invasive Canadian Grey wolf was introduced:

Native Rocky Mountain Wolves v. Introduced Canadian Gray Wolves - Black Bear Blog

The information is this email is and should be a major sticking point in this issue in my (albeit fallible) mind.

The Feds helicopter net gunned a very different wolf from not too far over the Canadian border, brought it back south across the 49 parallel and suddenly it's 'endangered'.

Think about that. The whole thing is a complete farce.

Dr. Val Geist is quoted as saying that 50% of a given wolf population would have to be killed every year for years to have an appreciable effect on increasing elk populations in the same areas. See below link:

Removal of West Fork Wolves Unlikely to Help declining Elk Populations

From above article: "Renowned wolf biologist, Dr. L. David Mech told me in a recent interview that removing wolves from the West Fork region would probably have little to no effect on restoring elk numbers. Wolves have a high birth rate and new wolves are likely to quickly claim territory opened by killing the current wolves. Dr. Mech believes we would have to remove far more wolves than the Federal Government will consider allowing to have any chance at helping the elk population."

This is a serious issue, made much more serious because of the kind of animal introduced. You have to really wonder about the mindset of the folks in the USFWS that were willing to rob 60 million+ dollars from the Pittman-Robertson fund in 1994ish--my money and your money from excise taxes on firearms ammunition etc. set up in 1936, I believe, largely to be given back the the states to manage their wildlife. Watching this interview with Jim Beers, who came out of that organization and saw for years what was going on, sheds some light on this:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/28939194]Crying Wolf - Jim Beers: The Demise of Conservation on Vimeo[/ame]

I'd encourage all to watch this and contemplate a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts