Wolf scoreboard.

Montana is one less I got mine today and he is a huge black that weighed in at 210. I can not believe how big this wolf is I never expected to shoot one that weighed as much as a calf elk or more I will get pics up tomorrow

Hey Brother, Please post up the pics. I can't wait to see this hawg.

Jeff

OK guys, get your butts up to Kalispell. I hunted this morning with my dad west of town ( district101 ) We had a tough time due to weather, ( an inversion had the fog so thick you could throw a rock and never see it land, for most of the morning ) But holy crap are they in the area! We did 4 short hikes around the Hubbard **** area. Everywhere we stopped we found tracks, and most of them were fresh. I also came across two wolf killed whitetail does that were only a day or two old.

We stopped and set a up a call twice. We heard something come up several yards behind our hide, but it was down wind of us and bolted before we ever even saw it. But if you're wondering were the wolves are, West of Kalispell is where. It's not super easy country to hunt em, but if you set up and call a bit, or just cover a ton of area, you're gonna find em. We're getting over run by the little bastar.....

Come give us a hand if you've got some spare time and bullets. (I'll supply the bullets if time is all ya got)
Good luck fellas
Cody

I was out today also and got int some fresh sign, 2 cat tracks also. I crossed a pass and that is when my axle u joint took a crapper. Pulled apart tonight and get in the hunt again soon.

I was out today also and got int some fresh sign, 2 cat tracks also. I crossed a pass and that is when my axle u joint took a crapper. Pulled apart tonight and get in the hunt again soon.
Bummer on the truck breaking. We're gonna hit as much as possible over the next week or two. Shoot me a pm when you're up and running and I'll pass along anything we come a cross in the mean time.
Cody

Crap, I can't get any snow down here and tracking is not working. Couldn't get any responces but the dang things cover so much country, really need snow to keep them in a smaller area.gun)

Id be careful of using calls, Illegal you know especially posting you did

Hand blown calls are 100% legal!!!!! Electronic is a not, I've modified an elk bugle and an elk inc howler to do a decent howl, once located calf elk in distress. They respond to coyote howls as well if you can get everyone singing they join in.

The wolf is a big game animal in MT, no electronic calls, what you can do elk hunting is all you can do with wolves in MT, Idaho however it's game one!!!!

Just a note here , with the recent ruling to extend the Montana season to Feb 15 th 2012. It was also ruled that after the big game season is closed it is no longer required that a wolf hunter wears orange. So if you are not in a heavily hunted area you may feel more comfortable, you can leave the orange off. This was ruled using the fact that the MT wolf is not a big game animal but a "species of interest" Don't ask me what all that means but you no longer are require to wear orange for this season.

I talked with a lady that is at all meatings and close to FWP last night. She thinks there will be many changes for fall 2012 season. So watch for " open discussions" with FWP and put your syggestions in. One I will be hitting on is the large size of our 392 hunt area and the low quota number. It was filled pretty darn fast this year.

Jeff

I was under the impression that the "species of interest" ment that it had it's own special set of rules reguarding calling (I was given some wrong info from a guy who hunts yotes/wolves alot. He's under the impression that they fall under the same calling rules as yotes). But the regs clearly state that it is a "Big Game" species and thus no electronics at all. If you gotta have a tag for it, it's big game... I guess. So hand calls only is the rule. Hand calling seems to be the hot ticket anyway. (again, according to the guy that would have lost me a wolf and gained me a big fine. I'll admit that it would have been my own **** fault for not doing my homework... )

I think I might stop into FWP today and pick their brains a little on the matter. I'd like to get there take on wolf impacts on bear and yote numbers as well. Several backcountry outfitters around here think the wolves are killing off cubs/pups at an alarming rate. I'm not quite sure what to think about that yet, but I bet FWP has got an... let's call it "interesting" take on the matter.

Thanx again for the clarification guys, you may have saved my butt.
Cody

sorry for no pics yet I'm having problems get the pics from my camera my friend is coming over to help me so I should get the story and pics up soon and when I took it to the fish and game they fell out off there seats but we did find out why he weighed so much he had stuffed him self before I shout him his bally was plum full but they still think he would have been in the 170 to 185 range. I will get pics up soon sorry for the for the all anticipation

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.