wolf primers

TnShooter,

Got a sister that lives in Nashville, and I do get out there from time to time. No need on the primer offer, but thanks. Just from a statisical standpoint, I think there's another explanation here. Storage issues, shipping damage, something. If you've ever seen primers made, it's a fascinating process, and very painstaking. The QC testing that goes into them is phenomenal, and that's why I say that it's statisically impossible for it to be a straight-up primer problem. It'd be caught and sorted out. Give the Russian's their due, they do have a great record on primers. If you ever get a chance, check out "Ammunition Making" By George "Jack" Frost, from NRA publications. He talks a lot abouit priming operations and QC testing, and you'll see what I mean here. Great read, anyway, as there's a ton of fascinating information in there and he has a very enjoyable writing style.

As I said, I just purchased 30K from Graf's last week. Soon as the snow here thins out a bit, I'll start popping them. If I have any issues, I'll let you know. Where are you in TN, anyway? Spent several years at Ft. Campbell and know the N/W area of the state fairly well. Loved it there, and I miss the groundhogs! Don't have nearly so many of them up here in MO.

Tnshooter, Federal primers have a reputation of having thinner cups and Wolf primers are said to have thicker cups. I think you may possibly be experiencing light primer strikes, and that may be causing FTF and hang fires. Have you looked at the primers from your FTF cartridges to see how much of a firing pin dent is showing? If the dent looks insufficient to ignite the primer the fix might be a new firing pin spring in your rifle. I don't believe in voodoo or charms, and when several people are using the Wolf primers without problems there has to be a valid reason they aren't firing in your gun.

I too believe they have harder or thicker cups,never had a problem in my rifles but did get a box of small pistol that actually had all the 100 packs inside marked small rifle.

I didn't even notice it until i loaded some rounds for my Glock22, acouple would fire then I would have to recock then it would fire. Factory ammo was fine though thats when I seen the boxes were packed in the wrong case. I loaded and used some CCI small rifle in my Glock while trying to find the pistol primers, all the CCI's fired fine even though being small rifle,but the Wolf small rifle wouldn't always fire without being hit twice leading me to think that they are thicker and the striker didn't have quite enough spring to fire them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.