wolf primers

birddog1

new member but have been reading a long time, lots of great info

i have bought ALOT of wolf primers 223small rifle large rifle and large rifle mag.
I am getting mixed reviews locally. Did I make a bad purchase, or are some people closed minded

I was tempted during the primer drought to buy some Wolf primers but had enough to hold me over until others became more available, so I have no personal experience with them. I have heard, however, from some who did start using them that they burn a little cool. "They" also suggested using a magnum primer in place of where you would normally use a standard primer. All you can do is give them a chance and see what your own personal results are. Or just send them to me and I will use them and write you a review. HEE HEE

I've read where a lot of guys are having good results with them. However, I personally have no experience with them.

A year ago when CCI's were hard to get, I bought 4K Wolf small magnum primers for competition guns. I have shot them only in the .223 and 6mmBR, and I like them. No misfires, and my ES seems a bit better. They are about .0005" larger in diameter than other primers and a tad more effort is required to seat them.

I picked up 1000 Wolf small rifle primers several months ago and tried them for the first time today in a 204. Well so far i'm not to impressed. One of the first 5 rounds failed to fire.

Last edited:
They're good. One thing the Russian's have always done very well, is primers. They produce some of the most accurate 22 rimfire ammo in the world, bar none, and a lot of their success comes from the priming mix they use. When Federal created their Gold Medal Match stuff some years back, they tried very hard to duplicate the Russian priming compound and production methods, including the dimple on the case head. They got close, but the original russian ammo was incredibly tough stuff to match, much less beat. Same sort of expertise carried over into their centerfire primer production.

If it makes you feel any better, I just picked up 30K of them from Grafs yesterday, to be used in my Service Rifles for NM competition.

I read somewhere that right after they hit the market that David G Tubbs went out and bought like 50,000 of them, If David is using them they can't be that bad.

well I am now 40 primers in and giving up. 4 didn't fire at all and 10 to 15 were hang-fires.

Wow, must be a seating problems, they ARE somewhat larger in OD and harder to seat to full depth. I've used about 11,000 of 'em so far and no problems. very uniform and lowered es on .223 and 22-250.

It's definitely 100% the primers. federal primers work just fine with the same everything, only difference is the primer. These primers are stored in the same place as all my other primers, in the exact same conditions.

It's definitely 100% the primers. federal primers work just fine with the same everything, only difference is the primer. These primers are stored in the same place as all my other primers, in the exact same conditions.

I'd be interested to know what the seating depth is on the Wolf and your others.

TnShooter,

You've got something else going on there, that's not the primers

Kevin I would be glad to give you a box of 100 to try if you are close to tennessee so you can see first hand.
The primers were both seated on a rcbs press. They where seated till you can feel the primers touch snugly. This it the first problem I have experienced with bad primers. I emailed wolf and they said they no longer guaranteed there primers due to the large amounts of complaints they had form people. The said they felt these were complaints people trying to take advantage of them.

Anyone that doesn't believe me and lives close to tennessee I would be glad to give you a box of 100 of these primers to try.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.