Wolf Primers

When CCI BR4's became impossible to find, I switched to the Wolf SRM primers for my 6BR's and the .223 competition rifles. They seem to be equal to the CCI's. My loads and accuracy did not change. They are slightly larger, and thus seat a little harder.

Did not measure the depth, but seem no different than others. I do recommend seating them with the Sinclair or K&M tools; the Lee seater is junk and could not withstand the pressure.

Powder Valley has them for $25.50. I ordered 5 bricks and paid the hazmat. Spreads it out to about what the CCI's had been. Find a buddy and share the cost.

If you want to load anything larger than a 222 with the small primers get the Wolf Mag primers. They have a thicker cup but have the same primer mix as the standard. The thicker cup will handle more pressure. I have used some of the SR Mag primers in 223 loads for my AR and they have really worked well. I used some of the LR and the only problems I had was in one rifle and it was due to me not knowing about how to seat these primes. The anvil seems to stick up just a bit more than primers like CCI. When you seat them you really have to pay attention to getting them bottomed out in the cup. With my Lee priming tool I felt the anvil hit bottom but you have to give it a bit more pressure to feel the cup compress the anvil and hit bottom of the primer cup. I had a couple of misfires until I found out the proper way to seat them. A friend that is a bench rest shooter turned me on to the Wolf primers when they first came out. He says that he will shoot nothing else becasue he gets the best groups using them. The numbers on velocity are better than anything he has ever used.

Good to hear folks seem to like them. I just bought a case or large rifle magnums. but won't get to try them out until after deer and goose season is over.

If you want to load anything larger than a 222 with the small primers get the Wolf Mag primers. They have a thicker cup but have the same primer mix as the standard. The thicker cup will handle more pressure. I have used some of the SR Mag primers in 223 loads for my AR and they have really worked well. I used some of the LR and the only problems I had was in one rifle and it was due to me not knowing about how to seat these primes. The anvil seems to stick up just a bit more than primers like CCI. When you seat them you really have to pay attention to getting them bottomed out in the cup. With my Lee priming tool I felt the anvil hit bottom but you have to give it a bit more pressure to feel the cup compress the anvil and hit bottom of the primer cup. I had a couple of misfires until I found out the proper way to seat them. A friend that is a bench rest shooter turned me on to the Wolf primers when they first came out. He says that he will shoot nothing else becasue he gets the best groups using them. The numbers on velocity are better than anything he has ever used.

What about Wolf 556 primers? Have any of y'all looked at those rather than the magnum?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.