Wolf killed in CO

lazylabs

With a confirmed wolf killed in Kremling it is probable there are more coming. If you like to hunt in CO or protect the largest elk herd in the U.S. We need to establish wolf hunting in CO. I have been asking for years with no real response. Please email your concerns to

[email protected]

Thanks

What I have heard, wolves have no protection here in Colorado .I have heard of sighting and was asked to sit on a carcass that was supposedly being visited by a wolf,with no luck. But it's kill it when you can as far as I know.

Kill it and get arrested! They are federally and state listed as endangered... If we don't get a season they are off limits!

I did not hear how the wolf you mentioned was killed? I don't believe Colorado was included in the introduction of the wolves way back when,and of course the that is why the state has no regs. I understand the federal thing, but,when you ask per.mission to do the right thing you have the chance of doing nothing and having the same problems as other states,so just do it and shut up, if you need your picture in print with it your not going to do the state any good. Not trying to test you just trying to help the herds we sportsmen have built. My opinion . If the state does not recognize a Prblem they don't have to deal with it. Again what I have heard at ground level is kill it. We have people around here, closes , raising the things ,and you know they think that the wolves should run free, so I guess get into the war when you see fit. Enough said.

I am with tokatee on this one. Do what you have to and keep it at a low profile. It seems these days common sense in our government is a rare trait for the politicians.

I firmly believe we can not depend on the so called leaders of conservation to represent the interest of the hunters and/or landowners. They align more with the 'squeaky wheel' (antis) since they boost the politicians already inflated egos and pad their pockets.

Summary; the western states elk, deer, sheep and etc. resources are slowly being decimated by the wolves, however nothing is being done about it. Very sad.

Do our self and deer/elk herds a favor and shoot any wolves you see!
Deer and Elk herds here in Montana are getting hammered by these overgrown parasites, they kill off an area and move on.
I had a game warden stop in a road that I snow biked on hunting wolves, he saw my rifle and asked what I was hunting, told him I'm hunting dogs his reply was "good shoot all of them you see, I'm getting tired of these things killing off the game animals"

The wolf was killed by a coyote hunter and reported to the fish and game. They are deciding about fines/charges.

Gray wolves were not introduced in CO.... Long story about original range and the specific breeds. The wolves that were introduced in MT were not of the original breed for that range either, so I am told.

If you don't want to pursue a legal season thats your decision, not at least trying seems silly. There are folks at the DOW that are on our side we just need to speak up and let their bosses and legislators know it's important to a lot of folks not just one or two nut jobs(me).

It's not about pleading ignorance.... That won't get your hunting rights back your gun returned or fines waived. It will just reinforce the argument that hunters will shoot anything that moves regardless of the law. The law already states it is illegal to kill wolves in all states without an approved season.

090.jpg gun)

So the overwhelming response is break a federal law and hope you don't get caught... Logic brought to bear in Baltimore and Ferguson. It's not a surprise that hunters and gun owners get less and less respect all the time.

I think a core part of this problem is that it appears that a hunter mistook a wolf for a coyote and then did the ethical thing to report his mistake to the CPW, but could still face fines/punishment for doing the right thing.

This is by all means a very honest mistake especially because the common knowledge is that wolves do not exist in this state. He had no reason to be on the lookout for a wolf. So then the rest of the hunting population sees this and are torn by how to handle the problem moving forward... we are all fundamentally driven by the desire to protect our elk herds (and other animals), but we all feel somewhat helpless in how to drive change at a government level.

The shoot, shovel and shutup theory is by far the easiest way to delay wolves from repopulating... but that is a very short term solution, and it certainly is not forward thinking. I want my kids and my grandkids to be able to enjoy the same kind of elk hunting I do today, and I do believe that wolves will make their way back to CO in increasing numbers eventually.

I think the right answer is to work together to have the laws changed so that if and when wolves become a factor in Colorado we have the laws in place to hunt and control wolves just like any other game animal. In the end it is us hunters who have been responsible for bringing the elk herd populations to what they are today. So let's continue to do that.

So then how do we all work together to get this wolf problem handled in front of wolf packs growing in numbers rather than after the fact when the elk herds are already getting decimated ??

Thinking out loud here, but how about we take this a step further with more details on how we can all get involved in the effort to control wolf populations when they do in fact start to grow in numbers? At least for me this is the hard part. I may be wrong but sending an e-mail to an unknown e-mail address seems like it's going to go unread on the other end...

I have a contact within the CPW that I will call and talk to. I'll report with any helpful information they provide. If just the people on this thread do the same, I know we'll be able to figure something out. Come up with a detailed recipe that we can advertise out to the rest of the hunting community to follow.

It is definitely a daunting task to try and drive change... but I think we would surprise ourselves at how few people it really takes to get the ball rolling.

Who's in?

Not looking for a debate, but voicing my opinion.

I respect the folks who think change can occur by approaching your representative and voicing opinions. I believe this was effective in the early years of our government, however I am not so convinced these days.

It appears the groups who are willing to line the pockets of the politicians are more likely to receive consideration for their cause than the 'average Joe' who may not be so 'resourceful'.

In addition, how long does it take to change a law? Well, the elk herds may no longer be by the time it occurs. Common sense and Washington as they say is an oxymoron.

I am not openly encouraging breaking laws, but action may be necessary at times to protect, gain attention and expedite change.

People don't realize that the Grey Wolf was INTRODUCED to Yellowstone National Park for a study, after which they were to be destroyed upon its conclusion. The Timberwolves were the indigenous species of the lower Rockies (anything south of Canada) before settlers eradicated them. Grey Wolves are NOT the same as Timberwolves.

Basically the laws are protecting an invasive species that was introduced for a study.

How is this NOT like when the Asian Boar was introduced into the wild in the south which creates havoc everywhere it goes and is listed as s nuisance specie where some states don't even require a season or even permit to hunt them?

Who's in??? Have you paid any attention to what has been going on in Montana, Idaho,Wyoming, Wisconsin?????
If you think there is a comparison to Baltimore and Ferguson ,watch the true story movie about Ben Carson, sometimes it's screw the rules and do what's right ,while the rest struggle in stupidity.

Well I'm not going to get caught up in a forum argument. I'm going to put my effort into actually doing something about this rather than watching real life stories on TV.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts