Wolf Hunting... which state is BEST???

Just remember, the best way to bag a wolf, is with an MB-750. When WI had a wolf season, 80% were trapped.

A 22 mag in the ear, lights out.

Attachments

• E6D64101-E838-4C74-B654-FB5474F95A36.jpeg
    E6D64101-E838-4C74-B654-FB5474F95A36.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 64
Just remember, the best way to bag a wolf, is with an MB-750. When WI had a wolf season, 80% were trapped.

Yes Wis. did a good job slimming down the wolf population.... I Thank Them for it......
While on a successful moose hunt in Ontario Can. I talked with the outfitter alot...
lots a wolves up there and he trapped a lot of them off a snowmobile....He said they were very hard to trap..... he wouldn't even get off his snow machine as wolves use snow trails as highways when snow gets deep....just lean back set the trap.... making it as scent free and blended in with snow tracks... some would still walk around the trap... We saw a few while hunting...and plenty sign...

Last edited:

I trapped full time in the UP using leg holds and snares January-February for coyotes and fox .....as far as catching wolfs I caught 1-3 every year in leg holds but caught 4-10 in snares and that was not even trying to catch any....
Can say one thing catch and release a wolf they pretty much never come back to that area....only problem a different pack would move into the area....

The wolf doesn't live with you...you live with the wolf....

I did a study in the early 70's and did a report....myself wouldn't trust a wolf any percentage....
EXACTLY, a wolf IS NOT a dog... My cousin had a hybrid back in the 70's, it jumped out of her pickup and attacked a little neighbor girl... All UNPROVOKED, obviously it was put down... Been an English Mastiff owner for 38 years so I know large DOGS.... Wolf's aren't pets---PERIOD!!!

I have been around "Wolf Dogs" as you can see in #114.

States have different rules on owning a "Wolf Dog" has to be a minimum % of Dog DNA.

Dogs came from Cannabis Lupus "Grey Wolf" about 130,000 years ago.

My thoughts are Wolf should never be "Cross Bred" They do NOT make pets and nothing but trouble. If they get loose they can breed with other dogs and don't need that. Almost all Wolf/Dog owners like them as puppies, but once they mature, owners can't handle them and either put them down or give to a Wolf Sanctuary.

Same with CoyDogs. Coyote/Dog only trouble and get a wild breed that does not have the natural fear of man.

Back to Wolves

Nature has (HAD) a way to balance life between wolves, bear, deer, elk. Man introduced livestock into the equitation and wolves/bears then had another food source. Man did not like that and tried to eradicate wolfs. It has been two hundred years between the battle of man & wolves.

Man with all their faults are now trying to be Nature and control it. Man that has no idea about life in the wild is making laws and decisions on how many wolves there should be and where they can live. Bringing wolves back from almost extinction is good in the natural habitat, but INTRODUCTION of wolves into areas where they never where is not a good idea for the other animals in that area.

Too bad these environmental & conservation groups are just looking for taxpayer dollars to fund their projects and salaries.
When we had millions of buffalo the wolves had something to eat. When the bison were shot out the wolves turned to everything else...

A sad follow-up: I did not get a Wolf. I did not get a Mountain Lion. I did not get a Black Bear. I stumbled on a Mountain Lion den. Elsewhere, I saw signs of Mountain Lion and Black Bear. And a bull Elk seemed upset with me.

Despite not bringing an animal home I brought back experience and memories. This was my first backpack hunting trip like this. I had no expectations since I didn't know what I was doing. Nobody to teach me. No guide. Just a lot of Internet reading and a desire to go.
how long did you hunt wolves? what rifle did you use? thanks. ron

I've got a drainage I've elk hunted up in the NE Bighorns and for the last few years we've been calling it "Wolf Alley". Used to be a great place to bugle. Now the elk are stone quiet and if you bugle, wolves will answer from both ends of the canyon. I've got fleeting glimpses a couple times, a buddy got one shot off there.

A couple years earlier I was hunting the west side of the Bighorns, up near Cloud Peak. Drove up in the early evening, set up to sleep in the back of the pickup. Coyotes serenading all around for an hour or so once it got dark. Then there was one long wolf howl. Not a peep out of the coyotes the rest of the night. Another buddy saw a big black wolf the next day. Again, no shot.

I've been seeing and hearing wolves in the Bighorns since around 2011. I got off one shot about 4 years ago. All I can confirm about that is that not all wolves are 150# monsters. I thought it was huge and 300 yards, More likely close to 70-80# and only 150 yards. I shot over it. Like coyotes, they don't stick around for a second chance.

@WYO300RUM: I'm more a competitive benchrest guy and custom rifle builder than a LRH. The day job is writing software so I get enough screen time that I'm just not a good active forum member. But wolves (and coyotes) annoy me!

Thank you for the great info. You don't hear, I don't hear anything about wolves in the Bighorn's. Same with grizzlies. I they aren't there will be soon but I think G&F would remove or kill them . They won't bother with wolves. Grizzlies here are way too overpopulated and no fear of humans. It takes some of the fun out of hunting here.
Good to meet you neighbor. Been 2 years since I've been to your fine town 👍🏼

They are there. It's more of a "local knowledge" thing that G&F doesn't acknowledge because it's not a "problem" yet.

Summer before last and last summer elk herds were pushed down into the Bighorn Canyon National Rec area and upstream along the river. During that period there was several conversations about wolves roaming up high around Porcupine and the Medicine Wheel.

The Grizz aren't far off either. Last I knew there had been a sow(s) and cub(s) spotted in the Pryors.

We're to the point where we'll look back on the current condition of that mountain range as the good old days.

Please come and remove as many as you like. The wolves have ruin my elk hunting.
Used to be able to go bow hunting in north idaho for elk and pretty much count on at least hearing some elk and if you did your part see them as well. Well now you don't hear them or see them unless you flat out get lucky.

I along with 3 buddies have hunted Idaho 4 years in a row now strictly for wolves. First year we struck out, next year a buddy got one. The third year I was able to get one and this last winter 3 of us snuck in on 5 sleeping and got 4 of them, I shot 2. It's the hardest hunt physically and mentally I have ever done! But it is not impossible, do your research, gear up really well and go find wolf tracks!

Tell a more detailed account please of the 5 sleeping ones sounds very interesting and a heck of a blast.
Long long long story. Cut their super fresh tracks and followed them (jumped them off their elk kill, not knowing this at the time). Fast forward a few hours and I was following their tracks across the mountain in my binos when I spotted one standing then instantly lay down. Turns out there were 4 there and a 5th a little ways away. One guy stayed at the spotter and the other 3 of us took off on sleds, went as far as the trail allowed then snowshoed in on them. Peeked over the point we got to and there they were at 388yds. I let the other two shoot first. I howled and they lifted their heads and my buddies shot two at the same time. The other 3 scattered and I started howling and two came back and I was able to get both of them! Epic trip! Took us 6hrs to get back to the pickup! That's the short version lol!👍🏻