Wolf Hunting... which state is BEST???

The wolf doesn't live with you...you live with the wolf....

I did a study in the early 70's and did a report....myself wouldn't trust a wolf any percentage....
My Sister backed off after the breeder said in a week or two the wolf would kill all the dogs in town. The one in pic. is the alpha male.
Another story he told was one of the wolves took off and was gone a few weeks. We said aren't you worried about him, he winked and said he can take care of himself.

My Sister backed off after the breeder said in a week or two the wolf would kill all the dogs in town. The one in pic. is the alpha male.
Another story he told was one of the wolves took off and was gone a few weeks. We said aren't you worried about him, he winked and said he can take care of himself.
You wouldn't want a wolf hybrid for a pet in Michigan's UP. They'd get shot in a minute if seen even in a backyard.

I started a write up on wolves, but too many liberal organizations that I would have go against!
...True story.... libs will never admit.....
Wolves kill for fun....
Wolves kill to train.... over and over....
To train pups..... then leave 90% of the meat....
They are expert pack hunters.... running down game....... alternating who's leading point..... rip their throats open....
And run some more....
They'll decimete deer herds,elk herds,moose,beef,sheep then move to small game....
They eat what we eat,that's why they were lowered in numbers....

I have been around "Wolf Dogs" as you can see in #114.

States have different rules on owning a "Wolf Dog" has to be a minimum % of Dog DNA.

Dogs came from Cannabis Lupus "Grey Wolf" about 130,000 years ago.

My thoughts are Wolf should never be "Cross Bred" They do NOT make pets and nothing but trouble. If they get loose they can breed with other dogs and don't need that. Almost all Wolf/Dog owners like them as puppies, but once they mature, owners can't handle them and either put them down or give to a Wolf Sanctuary.

Same with CoyDogs. Coyote/Dog only trouble and get a wild breed that does not have the natural fear of man.

Back to Wolves

Nature has (HAD) a way to balance life between wolves, bear, deer, elk. Man introduced livestock into the equitation and wolves/bears then had another food source. Man did not like that and tried to eradicate wolfs. It has been two hundred years between the battle of man & wolves.

Man with all their faults are now trying to be Nature and control it. Man that has no idea about life in the wild is making laws and decisions on how many wolves there should be and where they can live. Bringing wolves back from almost extinction is good in the natural habitat, but INTRODUCTION of wolves into areas where they never where is not a good idea for the other animals in that area.

Too bad these environmental & conservation groups are just looking for taxpayer dollars to fund their projects and salaries.

...True story.... libs will never admit.....
Wolves kill for fun....
Wolves kill to train.... over and over....
To train pups..... then leave 90% of the meat....
They are expert pack hunters.... running down game....... alternating who's leading point..... rip their throats open....
And run some more....
They'll decimete deer herds,elk herds,moose,beef,sheep then move to small game....
They eat what we eat,that's why they were lowered in numbers....
True story for sure. Loggers I know watched wolves kill half a dozen deer in one herd, eat on one and leave the rest. Never return. True story. That's in Michigan. Imagine in real wolf states.

Lots of sport killing stories up here from guides and outfitters I personally know and have worked closely with, especially in northern Idaho around the panhandle and the Selway country. In my neighborhood in Idaho it can be tough to get away from them during archery season and I have lots of friends who tagged a few and one with a bow even. Crazy story. Wolves in every drainage in some of the places we hunt. They are lucky I haven't had a better opportunity yet. I came across a breeding pair at under 5 yds this year bedded and silly me had my rifle still strapped to my pack🤦‍♂️Lucky dogs. My arms are open btw…Idaho is open season for wolf hunters. Come one, come all:) fish and game needs help with management… and it turns out your all invited:)

Lots of sport killing stories up here from guides and outfitters I personally know and have worked closely with, especially in northern Idaho around the panhandle and the Selway country. In my neighborhood in Idaho it can be tough to get away from them during archery season and I have lots of friends who tagged a few and one with a bow even. Crazy story. Wolves in every drainage in some of the places we hunt. They are lucky I haven't had a better opportunity yet. I came across a breeding pair at under 5 yds this year bedded and silly me had my rifle still strapped to my pack🤦‍♂️Lucky dogs. My arms are open btw…Idaho is open season for wolf hunters. Come one, come all:) fish and game needs help with management… and it turns out your all invited:)
You and I should get together. If you have that much activity I'll make the trip.

I've got a drainage I've elk hunted up in the NE Bighorns and for the last few years we've been calling it "Wolf Alley". Used to be a great place to bugle. Now the elk are stone quiet and if you bugle, wolves will answer from both ends of the canyon. I've got fleeting glimpses a couple times, a buddy got one shot off there.

A couple years earlier I was hunting the west side of the Bighorns, up near Cloud Peak. Drove up in the early evening, set up to sleep in the back of the pickup. Coyotes serenading all around for an hour or so once it got dark. Then there was one long wolf howl. Not a peep out of the coyotes the rest of the night. Another buddy saw a big black wolf the next day. Again, no shot.

I've been seeing and hearing wolves in the Bighorns since around 2011. I got off one shot about 4 years ago. All I can confirm about that is that not all wolves are 150# monsters. I thought it was huge and 300 yards, More likely close to 70-80# and only 150 yards. I shot over it. Like coyotes, they don't stick around for a second chance.

@WYO300RUM: I'm more a competitive benchrest guy and custom rifle builder than a LRH. The day job is writing software so I get enough screen time that I'm just not a good active forum member. But wolves (and coyotes) annoy me!

I've got a drainage I've elk hunted up in the NE Bighorns and for the last few years we've been calling it "Wolf Alley". Used to be a great place to bugle. Now the elk are stone quiet and if you bugle, wolves will answer from both ends of the canyon. I've got fleeting glimpses a couple times, a buddy got one shot off there.

A couple years earlier I was hunting the west side of the Bighorns, up near Cloud Peak. Drove up in the early evening, set up to sleep in the back of the pickup. Coyotes serenading all around for an hour or so once it got dark. Then there was one long wolf howl. Not a peep out of the coyotes the rest of the night. Another buddy saw a big black wolf the next day. Again, no shot.

I've been seeing and hearing wolves in the Bighorns since around 2011. I got off one shot about 4 years ago. All I can confirm about that is that not all wolves are 150# monsters. I thought it was huge and 300 yards, More likely close to 70-80# and only 150 yards. I shot over it. Like coyotes, they don't stick around for a second chance.

@WYO300RUM: I'm more a competitive benchrest guy and custom rifle builder than a LRH. The day job is writing software so I get enough screen time that I'm just not a good active forum member. But wolves (and coyotes) annoy me!
Thank you for the great info. You don't hear, I don't hear anything about wolves in the Bighorn's. Same with grizzlies. I they aren't there will be soon but I think G&F would remove or kill them . They won't bother with wolves. Grizzlies here are way too overpopulated and no fear of humans. It takes some of the fun out of hunting here.
Good to meet you neighbor. Been 2 years since I've been to your fine town 👍🏼

I'll be a little west of Salmon, ID in a few weeks. Wolf tag in hand.

A sad follow-up: I did not get a Wolf. I did not get a Mountain Lion. I did not get a Black Bear. I stumbled on a Mountain Lion den. Elsewhere, I saw signs of Mountain Lion and Black Bear. And a bull Elk seemed upset with me.

Despite not bringing an animal home I brought back experience and memories. This was my first backpack hunting trip like this. I had no expectations since I didn't know what I was doing. Nobody to teach me. No guide. Just a lot of Internet reading and a desire to go.

A sad follow-up: I did not get a Wolf. I did not get a Mountain Lion. I did not get a Black Bear. I stumbled on a Mountain Lion den. Elsewhere, I saw signs of Mountain Lion and Black Bear. And a bull Elk seemed upset with me.

Despite not bringing an animal home I brought back experience and memories. This was my first backpack hunting trip like this. I had no expectations since I didn't know what I was doing. Nobody to teach me. No guide. Just a lot of Internet reading and a desire to go.
not SAD
Look what you accomplished!
It is preparing for the trip, (months years of research and purchasing equipment) going on the trip, (planning routes and travel arrangements) coming home from the trip (with all your stories) that MAKES IT AN ADVENTURE!!!!!
Congrats on your ADVENTURE, What a learning experience! Wish that you have many more,

Badass memories tho.