Wolf Hunting... which state is BEST???

Congrats! 17 is amazing! I've had zero luck hunting them. I've caught 5 trapping though.
The only guy I know that has had consistent luck with wolves is about 25 years old, in great shape with knees that still work! He has shot 5-6 of them at least. Most of his shots have been long, one was at 970 yards! He hit that one twice! What he does, it glass the ridge tops with a good spotting scope mid day. If he can find them bedded down, he tries to stalk as close as possible. This is steep mountain country though and getting close ain't easy. I don't think he has had a lot of luck calling either.
Yep. Idaho is not known for easy terrain. Snowshoeing up the mountain etc is pure hell at times. I like late spring and fall the most when snow levels aren't bad but you can track still. I basically glass and track and locate howl. Calls have and do work but I don't have a lot of confidence in it. I've called in about 30% of the kills. Ambush via spot stalk has been the best method so far for me, which I'm sure isn't a great method if you know what you're doing. Here the wolves don't stick to one area long. A few days at most and they roam. It's super annoying

Before the Canadian wolf introduction we would occasionally see one swing down into SW MT, I grew up on a huge sheep and cattle ranch right in the prime on the Idaho MT boarder, you knew one when you saw it, it's always been known wolves will pack up and travel huge roaming distances but there was no reason for them to stay down here, there was resident wolf population, lots of coyotes, rox and human predation activities to compete with. A density of smaller predator will create a boundary till they are some how effected, we saw that with the fox and coyotes in the low farm land here. The bird hunters introduced a parvo strain and it WIPED out the fox, now we hunt coyotes in the willows something you never saw when the fox density was good, we also have serious crop damage from gophers.
There was a natural boundary keeping the Canadian wolf from migrating down this far, there was an equilibrium just not the one the Gov, Tribes and environmentalist wanted!!

Hah! I've lived here all of my life of 76 years and I have yet to find any Idaho County that pays more than 50 cents per mole tail! I haven't tried selling a tale like that one, however.
There's a process but you have to join federation of wildlife management to be in the program. I've been paid 2k per wolf but most have been 500-750.

To the OP! Idaho is best! PLEASE come to Idaho and go wolf hunting. Bring all your buddies and lots of ammo and extremely accurate long range capable rifles. Spend as much time and money as you can justify and help support these local communities. I assure you will be welcomed with open arms in most if not all of these smaller towns. Oh and make sure to include lots of social media sharing if you get one so everyone will know right where to go to get one! (Or 15) Look for snowmobile access roads in elk wintering areas and bring snowshoes or backcountry style skis with skins. Call to echo locate works well and give it time because they are known to come in silent if they are a smaller pack or solo. Frequent wintering herd areas and surrounding ridges early in the morning, late in the day, and glass from high points midday. Talk to the biologists, some are helpful. What else can we all include to help these guys be more successful? Fish and game should put out a book on how and where to hunt wolves in Idaho to make these tags fill more productively! Keep the pics of wolves rolling please…Im so proud of you guys!

To the OP! Idaho is best! PLEASE come to Idaho and go wolf hunting. Bring all your buddies and lots of ammo and extremely accurate long range capable rifles. Spend as much time and money as you can justify and help support these local communities. I assure you will be welcomed with open arms in most if not all of these smaller towns. Oh and make sure to include lots of social media sharing if you get one so everyone will know right where to go to get one! (Or 15) Look for snowmobile access roads in elk wintering areas and bring snowshoes or backcountry style skis with skins. Call to echo locate works well and give it time because they are known to come in silent if they are a smaller pack or solo. Frequent wintering herd areas and surrounding ridges early in the morning, late in the day, and glass from high points midday. Talk to the biologists, some are helpful. What else can we all include to help these guys be more successful? Fish and game should put out a book on how and where to hunt wolves in Idaho to make these tags fill more productively! Keep the pics of wolves rolling please…Im so proud of you guys!
That idea is very appealing and one I'll definitely be considering and probably executing. I'll also have the expectation of probably not even seeing a wolf let alone harvesting one. For me, it's not the harvest that makes the hunt, it's being where they live knowing I have as good a chance at one as anywhere else. Wolves are a very tough animal to get eyes on while hunting them. Kudos to those that have harvested wolves while hunting for them. You are truly predators hunting the ultimate prey. I would be ecstatic to accomplish that goal. If I can find a buddy willing to make the trip and the hunt, I'll be out there.

That idea is very appealing and one I'll definitely be considering and probably executing. I'll also have the expectation of probably not even seeing a wolf let alone harvesting one. For me, it's not the harvest that makes the hunt, it's being where they live knowing I have as good a chance at one as anywhere else. Wolves are a very tough animal to get eyes on while hunting them. Kudos to those that have harvested wolves while hunting for them. You are truly predators hunting the ultimate prey. I would be ecstatic to accomplish that goal. If I can find a buddy willing to make the trip and the hunt, I'll be out there.
Haven't been hunting hard but I've been out and yesterday was the first set of tracks I've cut in a month. Very strange to see such lack of activity for me.

AND your a resident. Imagine the difficulty of me being a non-resident coming out to hunt them. Needle in a haystack.
Well there is a bit of luck and good timing. Knew of a dude that drove down the road and a wolf crossed in front of him. He missed it. Next day same deal, same spot, and this time he killed it. Unbelievable. I want that luck. Now I have spotted them from the road. The. I had to hike a mile to get close for a shot. I don't mind that

I'm the last of a dying breed, an Idaho lifetime resident who, with the exception of a war in Vietnam over a year and a job that also had me located in Montana for another year, have lived around Idaho all of my 76 years. I've also taken 5 wolves. My first one I watched with it's pack for almost 2 years close to my house and I was waiting for it the first minute of the first opening season. The next three were over killed calves and a cow herferd. The last one was at 623 yards, traveling rogue trying to kill a cow and calf elk, trying to catch his breath in the snowy field, after the cow had stomped on him to free her calf from his grip on it.
Anyone who thinks that they are going to come out here and shoot a wolf on their own is dreaming and just plain lucky if you pay a guide to take you and you get one. Most are just plain lucky kills unless you learn how, when and where to go do it. Yes, there are those who are very successful at doing it but, not with you and they are really unfriendly when you bust out the pack of wolves that they have been hunting. I don't seem to find many local hunters friendly to other hunters from different cities in Idaho hunting in "their area", or however they have declared it. So, I wouldn't come here expecting you'll get an open arms treatment. But, anymore, I guess it's just part of hunting, trying to win over the locals for next trip, perhaps? Personally, I'd love to see hunters flock into Idaho and kill every wolf we have but, I know that won't happen. They're just too darn cagey to be killed!

My Sister lives in Adirondacks and visiting Ohio almost bought this Timber Wolf from a breeder . Suppose to be 98%, max. allowed in Ohio.

Attachments

• wolf.JPG
    wolf.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 114
My Sister lives in Adirondacks and visiting Ohio almost bought this Timber Wolf from a breeder . Suppose to be 98%, max. allowed in Ohio.
The wolf doesn't live with you...you live with the wolf....

I did a study in the early 70's and did a report....myself wouldn't trust a wolf any percentage....

The wolf doesn't live with you...you live with the wolf....

I did a study in the early 70's and did a report....myself wouldn't trust a wolf any percentage....
Nope! My grandpa had a buddy who lived in the sticks and had a crossbreed. No idea how much it was, but it was the creepiest "dog" anyone was around. Wouldn't trust it EVER. I think it was more wolf then dog as far as % goes. Tall and slender. If I recall, it wasn't around long.....