Wolf Hunting... which state is BEST???

How about Minnesota?
We have thousands! We had three seasons a while back before they shut it down again. Very divided up here. There is a push to open a season again so my fingers are crossed. Fed DNR trapped out 37 within a mile of my house over two years and we still don't have a season. When we had seasons, they allotted roughly 400 wolves. Upon harvest you were to report it and when 400 was hit, season was over that day.

My cross-hairs have been focused on Idaho as the main target for wolves, and probably MT as the next one... but I'm sure there is enough territory in Idaho to keep a guy busy enough without the need to venture to another one.... but it's good to have another option. Hopefully a tough winter will bring them down lower as they follow the game animals. It's going to be interesting... a real learning curve for sure.
Any body hunting wolf in Idaho is Welcome I wish you all the luck in the World

Michigan isn't in any way in the running but just want to comment on wolves and the wolf hunting here. They had one wolf season a few years ago here. The dates were in December and the hunting was tough. I think they sold over 100 tags but they had a much lower target number for harvest. Whoever killed up to that target number used their tags. Once that number was taken, the hunt was over. I think they killed single digit wolf numbers in that 2-4 week period. If they would have opened the wolf season during the firearm deer season, they would have probably made the number they wanted to harvest. Many more hunters in the woods and more wolves around with bait piles out for deer to feed on. Wolves hunt those bait piles like firearm deer hunters do. I see wolves every year when I'm deer hunting. Doubt I'd see any during December. I guess my point is, season dates really make a difference in hunting wolves here in my state.
Michigan's only wolf season started on November 15 opening day of deer rifle season ....none of the units filled all of the tags....if I remember correctly 43 wolves were harvested .....
The only areas open were units were it was determined that there was a wolf problem by the DNR....also one thing to remember is deer migrate in the UP wolf's follow that migration.....
I have watched the wolves expand there range in the UP the first set of of tracks I saw was in 1977 in northern Iron County it was chasing a deer....it wasn't until the 90's that seeing wolfs was lot more common....its completely out of hand because of the Tree Huggers that live in the Southern part of the State.....
Went and just sold my property in the Eastern UP and moved the Southern Michigan all wildlife was getting very low in there populations because of the wolves....with the bad winter of 21-22 we had at the end deer numbers will be very low.....

Michigan's only wolf season started on November 15 opening day of deer rifle season ....none of the units filled all of the tags....if I remember correctly 43 wolves were harvested .....
The only areas open were units were it was determined that there was a wolf problem by the DNR....also one thing to remember is deer migrate in the UP wolf's follow that migration.....
I have watched the wolves expand there range in the UP the first set of of tracks I saw was in 1977 in northern Iron County it was chasing a deer....it wasn't until the 90's that seeing wolfs was lot more common....its completely out of hand because of the Tree Huggers that live in the Southern part of the State.....
Went and just sold my property in the Eastern UP and moved the Southern Michigan all wildlife was getting very low in there populations because of the wolves....with the bad winter of 21-22 we had at the end deer numbers will be very low.....
All areas vary up there with winter kill. Definitely the season needs to be during the breeding season.

I have two thoughts about wolves. One, I am glad the Feds prevented their extinction in the lower 48. Two, now that the wolves are back I am glad there is controlled hunting.
They wiped the wolf packs that were native here in favor for an introduced wolf, the wolf we have now has zero business being here!! It's not controlled, that is a front, they are so far out of control you can't even see controlled from where we are at. They are gunning them hard from airplanes, shoot on sight hunting and trapping and the population is still over whelming their ability to keep it checked!!

The FEDS assured the extinction of the native wolves in Idaho with their introduction of the Canadian Wolves.
Yes sir they did, I was working for a biologist in Idaho when decided to do it and he as livid, he predicted what has happened right on the nose. Every local biologist recommendation was round filed!

How many wolves do they let you shoot in Idaho?

Is there a good way to double team wolf and bear there? Been contemplating something like this, I'm a caller, hand calls too, no electronic, but it means I'd like to stay out of Griz country as the legal hassle of a defense of life shoot would bankrupt me.

Hoping they open wolves back up here in MN, DNR has us way over their targeted population goals, it would make sense.
You can purchase as many tags as you want in Idaho. The success rate is fairly low, but that is because there are not a lot of hunters who expressly spend the time and money to find wolves to shoot.

Idaho F & G, NEVER, ever, wanted, the Canadian Tundra Wolves, in the First Place, THEY weren't,.. the "Dumb ones" !
Do some Research on, WHO is,. to Blame ! ( Yes, I,.. KNOW )
The Dept of F & G, WAS smart enough, to KNOW,.. WHAT would, "Happen" !!!
Anyone with, an IQ of over 50 -55, KNOWS what's gonna, "Happen",.. Duh !!!
Notice how Colorado's, Total IQ, has,.. Dropped !
You think Hunting was Tough there,.. It's gonna get, a lot WORSE

Last edited: