Wolf hunt

if your fast twisted in your 6mm, throw a high BC match bullet at them if not a 87 grain V/MAX , bc 400, in your 300 UM, load up some Sierra match king Tipped 195's , or their Tipped 155 ,bullet , hunt along streams , rivers, ambush points, make your own shooting sticks , both them Rifles you have will dump them. think like your Quarry, ps Great Luck, and have a pistol on your Hip !!!

Most of the wolves killed in Wyoming have happened in the spring when the snow is good enough for snowmobile's to go most places. Sometimes a traveler is spotted and chased down.
I have been riding over by Yellowstone on snowmobile and we have seen them out by elk and that is what I thought if I could use snowmobile to find area with a lot of tracks or even find a recent kill I could stake out I might get lucky and get a shot

Wolves carry echinococcus granulosis, although we don't know how far south that parasite can survive. So use gloves and a mask if you handle one. Predator control guys in our area, southwest Idaho, use disposable gloves, I think the addition of a mask is a good safety measure.
What is this disease?

If you find a fresh kill backoff downwind and sit on it.

This is solid advice. Last year we found a kill and there was hardly anything left. We posted up, got bored, moved farther away, fell asleep in the sun. I spotted 2 wolves returning to that kill which was no longer in sight. I ran the ridge to get in position to shoot down at them and they weren't there anymore. I think they just marked it and kept going. If we had been patient we probably would have got one or two, but we figured the kill was so picked clean that they wouldn't come back.

This is solid advice. Last year we found a kill and there was hardly anything left. We posted up, got bored, moved farther away, fell asleep in the sun. I spotted 2 wolves returning to that kill which was no longer in sight. I ran the ridge to get in position to shoot down at them and they weren't there anymore. I think they just marked it and kept going. If we had been patient we probably would have got one or two, but we figured the kill was so picked clean that they wouldn't come back.
Yeah I've done the same thing on coyotes, thought it was to far gone only to find out they still visit it.

I have been riding over by Yellowstone on snowmobile and we have seen them out by elk and that is what I thought if I could use snowmobile to find area with a lot of tracks or even find a recent kill I could stake out I might get lucky and get a shot
Try the northern Wyoming range, Greys river and Gros Ventre.

In the 6mm the Sierra smk 107 and 110 work, DTAC 115 work nicely also.
I prefer a gun without a ton of recoil. They rarely stop moving and often multiple shots may be taken for various reasons.
like a coyote a gut shot will get you a runner, solid shots and they die real easy.
My 6mm-06 has a 1-9 twist so I'm probably gonna have to stay closer to the 100-107 grain range. But this was the idea on this post was to get ideas and I do appreciate the input from everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.