Wolf hunt

Yotehitman

So I've decided to go to Idaho this fall to try my luck on getting a wolf. My question was about what caliber might be best, I have many to choose from from 6mm-06 up to 300 RUM but looking for opinions. I want to put it down but not wanting to blow it up as I would like to have it mounted. Thanks for your help

I think either of those, and most in between would work with the right bullet.
I think I'd use the .300 RUM, and one of the Hammer's 166-181bullets with the goal of good mid range trajectory, and hold hair as far as possible.
I've got a 6.5-284 in the works, but I'm looking at bait set heated blind situation. Bullet will be 99 grain Hammer, again going for mid range over long range.

So I've decided to go to Idaho this fall to try my luck on getting a wolf. My question was about what caliber might be best, I have many to choose from from 6mm-06 up to 300 RUM but looking for opinions. I want to put it down but not wanting to blow it up as I would like to have it mounted. Thanks for your help
Good luck
I live in Idaho and hike nearly everyday.
I see tracks all the time and still have never seen a wolf.
Trapping is the best way to get one, unless you're really lucky

I think the ideal wolf gun depends heavily on what type of country your hunting. In open areas where you can set up and see a long ways I would think something like a 25-06, 257 or 270 would be ideal. I don't think there's any reason to go bigger. In the dense woods of panhandle where I live I think you start with .223 and go up from there if want but you don't need to. I think a light, fast .223 or .243 autoloader would be ideal. I have only seen momentary patches of wolves up here - never one standing broadside un-obstructed.

As Westernhuntr mentioned the vast majority of wolves killed are trapped. A few are shot incidentely by deer and elk hunters but there a few guys out there that are successful in killing them with a gun. The few guys I know that have killed more than one with a gun work really hard and call them. They put a lot of miles on their snowmobile looking for deer, elk and wolf tracks. If you can find an area where a bunch of deer and/or elk are wintering you will probably find wolf sign. Don't expect to stumble in on them. Wolves move a lot but if you find an area holding deer and elk setup on it for several days and they will probably be back. If you find a fresh kill backoff downwind and sit on it. Wolf calls and fawn and calf distress calls are popular. I know one guys that trys to mimmic pet dogs. Be careful - you may well bring in a lion! For calling in thick cover bring the shotgun and buckshot.

I tell most young hunters I meet to focus on hunting and not the weapon. Depending on your setup your coyote weapon(s) may be just fine. Good luck!

My thoughts are which one are you comfortable shooting the best and easy to pack . I have hunted my butt off for a Wolf and still empty handed here in Montana. I had one in my scope last fall on my Special Mule Deer tag but he was 1932 yrds away . I only had my dope chart up to 1500 yrds that day well that's changed .
My best advice is carry a rifle that can shoot as far as your ability is .
Wish you the best of luck on your trip ! Plenty of tags to fill in Idaho and Montana for Wolves !!
Ps. My favorite call cost me .88 cents ! A two Liter pop jug ! Drink the pop and cut the bottom off and call away ! Last trip out with my Son we were about 50 yrds apart and when I let out a long howl on my custom call the timber exploded with howls my son was almost on my lap with in seconds ! It was last light and they never showed us a hair but it was one of our most exciting trips out yet !

Rum Man

Last edited:
I think the cartridge selection is of less importance here than the bullet. From your avatar I would say use your coyote rig. I would ask what bullet is less likely to damage pelt. I have limited experience with eastern coyotes having shot a dozen or so. I shot one head on in chest with a 55 grain ballistic tip. I found no entrance or exit hole. He was DRT. Not sure how this would work on a broadside shot but I imaging on a wolf unless you graze him you should be good with a fast varmint bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.