Wolf down

Presently looking at putting a longer range rifle together. Looking at a 6mm of some type, that puts out about 3200 fps in a 115 gr. bullet with a 26' barrel in 7.5 twist or there about. I haven't settled yet.
I would say there been some good work done out there.
SSS
6mm is good and many will run those speeds. I ran a 243 at those speeds. I think the 2 I'm most interested in for higher speed is the 6-284 and 6 prc. I know a few guys who run the 6 prc and it's wicked and on my radar. Thinking a 20" barrel with my can would be good, 110ish at 3300-3400. We'll see, I have a creed and prc that are used for hunting now and both are a pleasure to shoot.

I was driving down a road about 3 hears ago if I would have had a shotgun probably could have shot one if I was ready it ran right out in front of me

That really doesn't seem all that plausible. The pattern of a shotgun at that distance with what maybe 15 pallets seems like a Hail Mary attempt. And since you're not going to get expansion or a lot of shock out of that pallet on impact I have to question the terminal performance capabilities. I guess what I'm getting at is for those who actually do Use shotguns for those types of ranges and type of ammo it be an interesting education for the rest of us.

We can't hunt them in WY until September. And by then some judge will block it again. I have to admit I'm jealous. I also know it's a lot of work and I'm getting old and a little lazy.

Not true! You can hunt them year 'round - as many as you want - no tags required. Considered vermin just like coyotes - as long as you aren't in the Yellowstone protected zone - resident or non-res. We have them here in Laramie County. I've seen 5 now in the past 2 years less than 5 miles from town while antelope hunting in 38 and 34.

Brent, do you like your 6.5PRC better than the 284? Why? I'm still shooting your old 6.5x284 although It has a new stock, trigger and barrel now. Lol

That really doesn't seem all that plausible. The pattern of a shotgun at that distance with what maybe 15 pallets seems like a Hail Mary attempt. And since you're not going to get expansion or a lot of shock out of that pallet on impact I have to question the terminal performance capabilities. I guess what I'm getting at is for those who actually do Use shotguns for those types of ranges and type of ammo it be an interesting education for the rest of us.
TSS is 18 g/cc while lead is ~10.6 g/cc, and steel shot is 7.8 g/cc. TSS is HARD and does not deform like lead giving much better patterns and carries more energy further. This guy has lethal patterns at 100 yards with BB's.... guys are smacking turkeys at 70 yards with #9's. A popular load is 3/8oz #9's at ~1,550 fps for canadian geese, yes. A member here in AK load #4 buck for brown bear, they will easily penetrate the skull. A #9 TSS will penetrate the same gel as a #4 lead at 40 yards for comparison.
Expensive ? Yes, no doubt, but how many turkeys or wolves do you shoot compared to the other expenses ? I don't shoot too many geese but compared to gas, travel, time off, etc. spending $20-$30 on ammo is nothing. You don't need a shot shell press, just use a roll crimper in a cordless drill; (video on link) https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ExactaRoll-Double-Pin-Roll-Crimper-12ga/productinfo/ROLL12EX/
About 6 minutes in the T shot video;

100 yards TSS BB's;

Tons more info if you search or youtube "TSS Shot"
Just how hard it tungsten ?

Last edited: