Wolf down

No it wasn't during that time period, but now is a different thing. The wolves are killing everything. The Moose are almost gone in Montana. They are trying to states it is other things. That doesn't fly in my books. I really feel that the moose in Montana need to be put on the protected list now. An area that I hunted back 25 years ago in Montana you couldn't go anywhere without running into Moose. Now if you are lucky if you see a moose. Last year there was 4 hunter attacked by grizzly in that area, and when I started to hunt there, there wasn't many grizzly and or wolves. The following year wolves showed up, one or two years afterward a grizzly was placed their. You couldn't go anywhere without running into wolves tracks. The elk started to disappear, and the moose did too. Under direction of this government of Montana, they have almost killed off the elk and moose in this state. Their is a state next door that allows hunting of wolves 24 hours a day and 366 days year without a licenses required. They aren't keeping up with the wolves either. I almost didn't purchase a licenses in Montana this year and have stop getting hunting licenses in several other states due to their management practice. They can have the wolves in the national parks, but that's it. That the way is was going to be. but the courts involved with it and they don't anything. Dumb and Dumber.
SSS

Last edited:
25 feet to 980 yards. I called in a pack that got a little out of control once. I shot 3 at point blank looking down the side of the barrel. I've shot 2 with my bow as well, 20 and 40 yards. 300-500 seems more normal and why I got into long range. I always assume it's going to be a quick and medium to longer shot, but you never know. Man they can move so dang fast you just don't know.
What area do you hunt them?

Hmmmm I call it brutal. But I'm old and stuff so maybe it's just tough
Lol - I was trying to act tough. I am 38 and it is a lot harder to hunt than when I was in my 20's. That country will push a man to his limits and bring both man and horse to his knees - that is if you get lucky and don't shoot anything. If you have to haul something out...my horse and I almost slid off a 30 ft cliff 6 yrs ago on a spring bear hunt. Hit some shale rock and down we went. Luckily I got out of my stirrups and grabbed a little tree - no idea how the horse got back on his feet and made it. It was nuts.

Presently looking at putting a longer range rifle together. Looking at a 6mm of some type, that puts out about 3200 fps in a 115 gr. bullet with a 26' barrel in 7.5 twist or there about. I haven't settled yet.
I would say there been some good work done out there.
SSS

Presently looking at putting a longer range rifle together. Looking at a 6mm of some type, that puts out about 3200 fps in a 115 gr. bullet with a 26' barrel in 7.5 twist or there about. I haven't settled yet.
I would say there been some good work done out there.
SSS
SSS is a thing of the past - they are handing out tags like candy now and Idaho has extended the season.

Lol - I was trying to act tough. I am 38 and it is a lot harder to hunt than when I was in my 20's. That country will push a man to his limits and bring both man and horse to his knees - that is if you get lucky and don't shoot anything. If you have to haul something out...my horse and I almost slid off a 30 ft cliff 6 yrs ago on a spring bear hunt. Hit some shale rock and down we went. Luckily I got out of my stirrups and grabbed a little tree - no idea how the horse got back on his feet and made it. It was nuts.
Agreed. I've guided in that country and back pack hunted it. I have killed several bulls in the Frank solo archery hunting and without horses I don't think I'll ever do it again. I wind up videoing more often then thinking about killing as it is just brutal packing. A wolf pelt and skull is about 20 lbs so the suck level is pretty low when you do tag one or a couple.