Wolf caliber and round?

Like I said me personally, I got one and only one with a 270 and the consensus was to use varmint rounds BT's with a okay BC in case you have a longer shot.

I hate if for you BrentM that you came close to having a 2000 dollar shot... WOW... not many can say that. Getting a wolf shot and getting that kind of money seems like a WONDERFUL LIFE....LOL.
Well, I put in a lot of time and expense into this so it's not a money maker for dang sure. I have paid for my rifle in a way. I killed a wolf last November that paid 2000 but most have been 500-1000. I sold the rest of the pelts for a little bit too. Sold 12.

No quota for either hunting or trapping in most of the state now. Not that it makes much difference, they had it up to 30 combo hunting and trapping, plus you could use hunting tags on trapped wolves or vice versa as long as you had both licenses and the season for the tag you had was open, before they did away with the quota. I think 2 people actually tagged out in the entire state when the quota was 30, so doing away with it is nice, but really doesn't accomplish much.

I looked up wolfs taken by year in Idaho and this 2022 is not in yet, but 320 were taken last year.

I looked up wolfs taken by year in Idaho and this 2022 is not in yet, but 320 were taken last year.
Where did you see that? Fish and game hasn't collected or produced data for 2022 or 2021. Last data published was 2020. 408 in 2020. Not sure why they aren't showing data for 2021. Google shows 389 via an article with fish and game director Ed Schriever.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
Where did you see that? Fish and game hasn't collected or produced data for 2022 or 2021. Last data published was 2020. 408 in 2020. Not sure why they aren't showing data for 2021. Google shows 389 via an article with fish and game director Ed Schriever.

In spite of the new laws, the number of wolves taken by hunters and trappers in both states through the end of January is close to the mean number of wolves taken up to this point in the season in prior years. In Idaho, 320 wolves had been killed as of January 31, 2022, slightly more than 2018 and 2019, but below the total in 2021. In Montana, 190 wolves had been taken as of January 31, 2022, compared with an average of 251 up to that point during 2018–2021 seasons. However, a significant change in where wolves have been killed in Montana has elevated public debate.

To answer the question any thing used to take predators works. A wolf is 2x the size of a yote but they are still thin skinned and small boned. Due to the longer distances I encounter with wolves I prefer a higher bc bullet in 6 and 6.5 to fight wind etc. I just happened to kill 10 with a 6.5 147 gr eld, 1 with a 135 a tip, 1 with a 150 308, 1 with a 180 308. 2 with a 460 grain arrow. To me the 6mm seems to have about everything a person needs tho. Good bullet selection, light recoil, decent speed for flat shooting, and fur friendly. If you hunt in thick country with closer shots a 20-22 cal would be good. I'd bet very happy using my 204 on a wolf
All day long i plan to use mine in Montana near Pole Bridge, shots will be 100 yards max in my area, see them every time i go there ,Hornady 45 grain sp no doubt if I see one,can hit one i'll have a nice rug. They howl all night out there.

All day long i plan to use mine in Montana near Pole Bridge, shots will be 100 yards max in my area, see them every time i go there ,Hornady 45 grain sp no doubt if I see one,can hit one i'll have a nice rug. They howl all night out there.
Good luck. Would love to find a spot like that again here.

Any wolf hunting updates for this season?
Drew tag nada and don't feel much like hunting for the otc tag critters, so this winters gonna be dedicated to chasing wolves to breakup my grouse/Ptarmigan obsession. Hearing good numbers of animals being sighted between kennicott and McCarthy, probably spend some time put there when the snow flies.

Had a pretty heavy debate on 6 mm prc/25 saum or even a hot 6.5 of sorts, got so far as donor rifles bought and some stocks/scopes. Never did settle on a round, keep hoping something catches my fancy enough to roll with. Probably should commit as either is probably fine. Only have a 7 rum mountain rifle tuned up, maybe my heavy 270 wsm if we're sled based. Other long range boomers got left down south after squeak shooting, or they are in pieces/parts getting switched up.

7 rum might be a bit stout on pelts, but gotta run what ya got.