Wolf caliber and round?

Do you think that there is any kind of scent/smell that would over power the human scent strong enough that they would jump into your lap for shotgun kills?

I guess if there was such a powerful scent, then all the trappers would be using it.
Not a chance. You could try a carbon suit and scent cover combined. I've killed 6 at 40 yards and less. The rest are 300-980 so far. Getting close on multiple wolves is not normal tho. Thick country more so, but I hunt open stuff, and feel like my chances are slim. I could have killed several more if I had an AR or shotgun but no chance on the long dogs. So I pick my poison and play according to their rules the best I can. I never plan on calling them into my lap, EVER. I plan on locating, getting within my range abilities, and sending lead.

Keep this in mind.... all but one of my kills is solo. If you have a caller and hunter combo things are much different. A shotgun and rifle combo makes a lot of sense. Often wolves will hang up at 200 yards. Too far for a shotgun and hard with a rifle to get multiple shots. You have to have your sh$t together and luck on your side.

Shooting them in more open and longer ranges seems like the best way to get'em... and would be my preferred way.... but having them in your lap with a caribou suit on would be a thrill of a lifetime...LOL.

Having a guy keeping them vocal by calling from a distance, while another guy quietly slipped in on them seems like a killing combo trick.

Shooting them in more open and longer ranges seems like the best way to get'em... and would be my preferred way.... but having them in your lap with a caribou suit on would be a thrill of a lifetime...LOL.

Having a guy keeping them vocal by calling from a distance, while another guy quietly slipped in on them seems like a killing combo trick.
So I made an elk suit........ wife said I was I efn nuts. I eventually agreed and don't use it any more. I have a ghillie, I have elk decoys, I have a elk decoy that attaches to my bow. I am not wearing the suit any more. I had a really close in the dark encounter that scared the hell out of me. ha ha geesh.

Yes, if you can get a reliable partner who is willing to put in the same effort, winning. I am testing 2 friends out now, neither are quite there but we'll see. Everyone seems to want a guide and have me help me them kill wolves. No one seems to want to help me kill wolves.

Come on Brent. Don't leave us in suspense. We gotta hear that story!

BTW I too am fascinated by wolfs and have enjoyed your posts.

Thanks!
LOL. I'll give the short version. I was bow hunting elk in the same area I killed a bow with my before. So basically a known wolf habitat. They were there and responded to my elk bugle. I started howling the whole pack worked their way to me. One was super aggressive and growl howling. It was a wicked sound. My buddy was on another ridge and called me on the radio and freaking out. I was not able to connect a bow shot and the wolves headed off toward my buddy. He was losing his mind, scared, and wanted to leave. I said go for it, I am heading over the top to another spot to chase the big bull I had seen earlier. The wolves remained actively vocal all day but out about 1 mile in the bottom of the drainage. I couldn't locate the big bull again so just before dark I started my 4 mile trek back to the trail head. For giggles I wanted to see where the wolves were in case I had another chance, so I howled. They responded, still in the bottom and opposite of my hike out. I knew it would be dark before I got to my 4 wheeler so I was just plodding along and that **** wolf started closing the distance. At .5 miles out my buddy pops on the radio and said that wolf sounds like he is right above you, a few minutes later he was within 30 feet and growl-howling like a horror movie. It was so dark in the section of woods I could see anything but the sounds was piercing. I could feel it. I wasn't sure where the rest of the pack was, and felt surrounded. For a few minutes I knew this was it, I was going to die, but I was going to fight to the end. I resolved to death and dug my feet in waiting for the impact and fight..... nothing, that bastard just stayed there and screamed at me. I backed out and made it my 4 wheeler. My friend was white, he was shaking, he went home. I went after the wolf the next day. That turd torn the ground up in a 10 foot circle like someone used a spade in a garden. 3 days later I shot 3. A$$holes.

Great story.. WOW... would things turned out different that night if you had a headlamp on your head, facing the direction of shooting an arrow at the beast?

I don't have wolves here... but when I come out at night, I always have my headlamp on pointed in the direction of shooting a boar hog if he gets serious with me.... it's going to get shot no matter what.

PS... that same light will be on my head at night when i get out there... they better not show up at 10 yds if they know what's good for them.

Great story.. WOW... would things turned out different that night if you had a headlamp on your head, facing the direction of shooting an arrow at the beast?

I don't have wolves here... but when I come out at night, I always have my headlamp on pointed in the direction of shooting a boar hog if he gets serious with me.... it's going to get shot no matter what.
Yeah, I have a different lamp now, always carry my pistol, and if its going to be dark, I put the lamp on or have it in a very accessible spot. Shooting the bow in the dark is harder than the pistol so I think my reaction would be pistol first, plus its multiple shots. The bow might allow for more potential kills due to sound. I've trained on night shooting defensive pistol tactics so I feel a lot more comfortable going that route.

Wow! Neat story!

I have had run in's with wolves in northern Quebec. I am fascinated by them.

Many years ago we were camped at an old Cree camp site on a lake just east of James Bay. We had wolf tracks in the sand all around the campsite. One day returning by boat to the campsite the wolf was on the shore where we beached the boat. He realized we were coming in and just waked away. I was surprised by his casual response to our presence considering he was about 100 yards away when he saw us.

A day or two later I woke up at first light. I guess it was 4AM. The tent was light canvas and the wolf was standing right outside the tent. His shadow was highlighted by the rising sun against the tent wall. It was a unique experience and that particular critter seemed more mystical than real. He seemed to accept our presence and had no fear of us.

Wow! Neat story!

I have had run in's with wolves in northern Quebec. I am fascinated by them.

Many years ago we were camped at an old Cree camp site on a lake just east of James Bay. We had wolf tracks in the sand all around the campsite. One day returning by boat to the campsite the wolf was on the shore where we beached the boat. He realized we were coming in and just waked away. I was surprised by his casual response to our presence considering he was about 100 yards away when he saw us.

A day or two later I woke up at first light. I guess it was 4AM. The tent was light canvas and the wolf was standing right outside the tent. His shadow was highlighted by the rising sun against the tent wall. It was a unique experience and that particular critter seemed more mystical than real. He seemed to accept our presence and had no fear of us.
They are amazing critters. I actually feel a bit blessed to have had so much interaction with them. I suspect eventually I'll have less desire to shoot them with a rifle and more with a camera. That is how I am with deer and elk. I usually just take pictures and vid any more. Could care less if I tag one generally. I shot a 180 class mule deer with my bow a few weeks ago. Hunted 9 days to find a large mature buck and he was it. Saw thousands of deer and hundreds of decent bucks, just didn't care to kill most of them. I'm slowly getting there with wolves unless there is an issue with depredation and pack sizes. I semi gave up hunting my old area because the feds and state guys used helicopters to reduce the packs. They are very hard to locate in the area now. In the 9 days I hunted deer I didn't cut a single wolf track.

Depends on the terrain open ness and hunt method. Way up here in north Idaho in the thick black timber I like some quick pointing like a .243 AR carbine.k You're likely to just get quick shots at pieces of them. I have even carried a shotgun with buckshot if you don't care about pelts. Calling in more open country I would use a medium bore, flat shooting accurate deer rifle. They are not hard to kill and if you hunt in the snow it's easy to blood track.

Good luck! A wild wolf is one of the greatest trophies in north America.