Wolf caliber and round?

Nothing wrong with 6.8SPC with 90gn GDHPs or 120 SSTs for varmints. But as mentioned, you usually see them when your carrying your hunting rig. Anything appropriate for deer will smoke a Wolf just as dead. For straight up varmint hunting, I like the ability to shoot multiple times quickly and accurately, at distance and close up, since most often there is more than one, - most varmints are pack animals. I run 2-10X Razor on my homebuilt light weight 6.8 with a can (where legal). If you are hunting deer or elk then you are likely carrying more than enough gun.

this is a timely subject for me right now because I am thinking hard and planning on coming out there to hunt those killers. I was planning on using my tikka 7 win mag... and my 22-243AI with 80 gr amaxes.... which now sounds like more than enough caliber... and it's my most accurate rifle, since it was made for long range coyotes.... and it makes deer DRT.

If you are looking for good hunting for Wolves you may want to try Northern Alberta and BC. One county alone in Northern Alberta they took 618 in the past 12 months. 9hey kput, lots more are shot and never reported.) MacKenzie County in northwest Alberta. Approximately 30,900 square miles of sparsely populated Boreal forest bordering British Columbia to the west and the Northwest Territories to the north.
To put it in perspective, it's about 1/3 the size of Minnesota, with a population of 11,171 in 2016. There's plenty of room for critters outside the cultivated areas.

I live in the bc peace region. Coyotes and wolves galore. If you are a wolf hunter up here almost all cattle ranchers Will welcome you to come hunt wolves on their property Providing you have half a brain in your head And don't accidentally shoot one of their cows of course. Few year ago it was $500 per wolf if shot in ranch land.

One of the guys PMed me for info on hunting in Alberta so thought I would post it in case there are some others interested.

You would need to line up an Outfitter or find an Alberta Resident who would be willing to take you out as a Hunter Host. To make it worthwhile you need someone with a lot of experience hunting wolves or you are going for a nice drive in the country and a sit in real cold weather without much chance of getting one.

http://www.smokyriveroutfitting.com/

http://alpineoutfitters.com/

http://www.birchcreekhunts.com/

I know Smokey River and Alpine. Both are very good outfitters.

A Link to some more guys you can check out..

.Wolf outfitter? - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum
Wolf outfitter? Hunting Discussion
www.outdoorsmenforum.ca

WOW... WOW... Just gotta get me one of those.... SOON.

Man O Man... you sure do have to have your ducks in a row to shoot a coyote that far. Shooting that far at a bench is nothing compared to shooting a live target at those distances...while being prepared for all unknown and odd ranges. I just wonder how many people truly understand all that goes into putting together a setup that will enable a hunter to pull off those kind of shots. There ought to be a thread on all those A-Z steps.

My longest coyote kill so far, on the first shot, was only 631 yds... and your shot Brent was nearly twice that... WOW again...LOL.

Last edited:
WOW... WOW... Just gotta get me one of those.... SOON.

Man O Man... you sure do have to have your ducks in a row to shoot a coyote that far. Shooting that far at a bench is nothing compared to shooting a live target at those distances...while being prepared for all unknown and odd ranges. I just wonder how many people truly understand all that goes into putting together a setup that will enable a hunter to pull off those kind of shots. There ought to be a thread on all those A-Z steps.

My longest coyote kill so far, on the first shot, was only 631 yds... and your shot Brent was nearly twice that... WOW again...LOL.
It's a long way. I hit one at 1475 and killed one at 1300. My best long range shot was a pair of wolves tho. Killed the male at 980 and the femal at 606. I shot 3 wolves at 400 in a meadow. It was a crazy deal. Literally shooting prs style and speed. I've killed a pile of yotes 400-600. They are hard to hit past that. I've missed a few at 750 plus, **** small target.