Wolf caliber and round?

BKMF

My new wolf hunting set up is a Browning BAR III Hell’s Canyon cerecoted- fluted barrel, synthetic furniture, good trigger, 4.5x14 Leupold..... caliber .243. Haven’t decided which bipod-Spartan or Harris, probably tall Harris... shooting 80 Hornady GMX....
GIves fast follow up shots, and feels more like bolt action then my AR, not as heavy either!

Scott E Ames

LRH Team Member
In my series of one. I used a 243 WSSM with a 95 grain Nosler partition @ 3200 FPS. Worked perfectly DRT!

Black Hat

I can only talk for wild dogs, no wolves where I'm from, but they are a close species as wild dogs are half breed canis lupus.

I use a .243w with 95g VLD with great success, most people whinge its a target projectile, but it's never let me down.

Hugnot

I can only talk for wild dogs, no wolves where I'm from, but they are a close species as wild dogs are half breed canis lupus.

I use a .243w with 95g VLD with great success, most people whinge its a target projectile, but it's never let me down.
The 95 VLD is my favorite 6mm bullet - .243W, 6mm Rem & 6mm-06, 8 twist. Good for anything under 300 pounds. Form factor well under 1.

Ohlongarm

.204 story on a wolf.......local rancher along the mountain front had his .204 in the pickup and saw a female wolf, put a bead on her with the 32 grain hornady bullet and dropped her on the [email protected] yards..WOW. I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked, hit her right through the ribs, heart area. Most females here are 55-80 #'s largest one I have heard of was 94# caught by local trapper, she was an Amazon! :oops: I would rather have the 39 grain SBK in...;)
Not unusual, Matt Vaughn a dear friend in Alaska well off the beaten path has used only a 22 hornet on the big wolves up there, granted usually over bait but he drops them in their tracks. Results vary dependent on shooter, I was once and I say once invited to shoot antlerless whitetail on nuisance permits issued by the state. Elevated stands , the park boys showed up with 243's 270's and bigger, at the end of an 8 hour shoot I had dropped about a dozen with no run away, the 3 park rangers all had some run off wounded. All meat processed and donated to homeless institutions. I was never asked again. About 2 dozen antlerless taken and recovered that evening. Anyway I'm planning a wolf hunt and more than likely will take the 204, we'll see.But rest assured I would have practiced and will know the limits of the rifle and my own capabilities.

BrentM

Not unusual, Matt Vaughn a dear friend in Alaska well off the beaten path has used only a 22 hornet on the big wolves up there, granted usually over bait but he drops them in their tracks. Results vary dependent on shooter, I was once and I say once invited to shoot antlerless whitetail on nuisance permits issued by the state. Elevated stands , the park boys showed up with 243's 270's and bigger, at the end of an 8 hour shoot I had dropped about a dozen with no run away, the 3 park rangers all had some run off wounded. All meat processed and donated to homeless institutions. I was never asked again. About 2 dozen antlerless taken and recovered that evening. Anyway I'm planning a wolf hunt and more than likely will take the 204, we'll see.But rest assured I would have practiced and will know the limits of the rifle and my own capabilities.
I run 39 SBK and 40 v max in my 204. It's a bad little yote killer. I would have zero issue shooting a wolf to 500 with it. The only reason I don't grab it is due to the wind issues in the winter in the mountains and often the wolves are past 500. If I could hunt off bait or had closer encounters it would be a 204/223 likely. Heck I'd used my 204 pistol. Been shooting a 223 with 88 eld bullets for my trainer and it's wicked accurate and does a decent job in the wind.

Recent Posts