Wolf Article in F-F-G, Worth a Look.....

Fact is I didn't single you out. Didn't even mention you. I agree with what you said. Another fact, it's not just shoulder seasons that are in question. mtmuley
You didnt mention me, but quoted me.
Then why quote me?

You obviously misunderstood. Intentions are hard to read on the net. My point was I agree Montana F&G has many issues. Nothing more than that. mtmuley

What about my opening post? Do you understand what the Montana shoulder seasons are? mtmuley
At first I thought it was shoulder as in rifle. But now I get it.
So Montana is targeting elk that are moving out into far/ranch lands because of canine pressures.
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/hunting/nr_2784.html
We have a season like that here in Wyoming in several areas. I hunt one of them, for bulls and cows. Archery and rifle.

I wouldn't say the shoulder seasons are because of "canine pressures" alone. There is plenty of human pressure involved. mtmuley

In the last 10 years there has been alot more elk on private land showing up. Ask a Rancher why, human pressure is one reason.

It's interesting that Montana guys like to complain about wolves and how many elk they kill, but don't see a problem with F&G conducting elk hunts from August through February. mtmuley

I don't agree with the shoulder seasons because if there really is an overpopulation of elk (which I doubt) I think there are other ways to manage them. The problem, as I see it, is that the elk are migrating more than they traditionally have.
Why is that? I am certainly no expert, so maybe someone who is can chime in.

The thing is, the 'Shoulder Season' bears too much of a resemblance to what Minnesota did years ago with what it called "Intensive Harvest".
This may get long and drawn out, so bear with me.

From what I remember, the Northern Mn deer herd was decimated from multiple severe winters. Everyone in the state knew that there were no deer up there.
So the Mn DNR (their FWP) came up with a plan, in my opinion, to still sell licenses and promote this idea that there were areas that had just way too many deer.
"So, your normal hunt area has no deer? Come on over here and help us with a problem!"
Many of these areas had been, just a year or two before, been areas where you had to apply for a doe tag. In other words- they felt the need to protect the does to keep the herd viable.
They went from managing the doe kill to allowing up to 3 or 5 deer PER PERSON!
Some friends and I took snowmobiles to one of those areas a year later. It was late in the deer season, but we were rabbit hunting.
We ran into a group of deer hunters who had been hunting that same area for many years.
They were absolutely SHOCKED that there weren't any deer this year!
"We each shot X number of deer last year, this year we can't even find any SIGN!"
To me, the whole "Intensive Harvest" was just a ploy to sell licenses and over inflate to everyone how well the herd was doing, just like "Shoulder Seasons".

Getting back to the wolf situation here in Montana, after reading the FFG article I am even more upset that our FWP has put such a low quota on 313 wolves.

Mtmuley, what are your thoughts on how the wolf should be managed? Not just in 313, but throughout the state?

Mtmuley- I got your user name confused with MtPockets before coffee. It all doesn't matter, sorry for the confusion.

MtPockets, how do I want wolves managed? I want them managed according to the federal guidelines so we can keep killing them. I'm good with 5 tags a year. As far as the quota areas, I would imagine those are set to keep a balance between hunters an non-hunters. I honestly don't know much about the quota areas, but I'm going to dig around some now. mtmuley

Up next to me in 110 it is 2, which is where most of these wolfs derived from.It borders GP still open,they are smart and hard to kill here in the mountain area.Monday a wolf was killed near Glascow Mt,300 miles from the rocky mtn front.Confirmed by F&G

MtMuley, I want them managed to a point where they are not decimating the elk herds.
I dont really know that its FWPs fault that more are not being killed in the non-quota areas, but I think the quota in 313 is beyond ridiculous.
6x6, I saw that too. I found it very interesting.

I took his wolf education/trapping class in October and learned a bunch. and yes, there's always been wolves in Idaho, they were never an extinct species here. In 1984 I saw my first two while elk hunting on the Montana/Idaho state line. We had only seen a couple more in the next 10 years or so. Last year, I saw 4 but in a pretty populated area. Yep, it's getting out of control and I hope to do my part and remove a few. Season's open!
Bingo! They have been here alllll along. One day I'll get my shot at one ....or 5!

They were in N.W Montana when I moved here in 92. Whe Lost Trail ranch was in pleasant valley I used to be out there alot a ranch hand took me and showed me there dens in 93. Bob Monk from my understanding shot the first one out there for getting in his cattle about 91 and finally F@G admitted they new they were there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.