Witt Machine Clamp on Muzzle Brake

My experience with them is throwing them in a garbage can and threading the barrel correctly and moving on!! The amounts of these that get blown down range is simply ridiculous BUT they are DIY so they must be great!!!

There will always be different opinions on barrel wall thickness and the minimum I recommend is .150 thickness for each barrel wall. the easy way to find out is to add bore diameter to barrel diameter and if the barrel diameter is less than .300 thousandths larger than the bore diameter then it would be a candidate for a clamp on brake.

I have gone as low as .125 but only on low intensity cartridges and small calibers. I personally don't like the looks of the clamp on brakes, but on very thin/small barrels they are a good alternative and are much safer than threading a small barrel and creating other problems.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

FWIW: I have 2 Witt's brakes on my AR's and they work great BUT personally, I wouldn't put one on a slim sportier-type barrel for aesthetic reasons....they are pretty bulky and unsightly.

Spend the extra money to have your barrel threaded and choose a screw in brake.
I actually had a gunsmith look at my barrel and recommend that we not thread the barrel because of how thin it is at the muzzle. And how it looks, I couldn't care less.

I have a Witt break on one of my 300 RUMS, over 100 rounds and not a single issue. Did i question it at first? Yes. Is it effective absoluty. I put it on the rifle due to the idea of rebarling it eventually into a new build. I didnt want to spend the money on a threaded break for something i didnt intend to shoot for a long time. It works great even had a 12 year old girl kill an elk with it this year. Just measure it as exact as you can, and use loc tight. You will not have an issue, if you set it up correctly. Good luck and happy shooting.

Following alone.ive been looking at them for two of my rifles
I hate to say negative things but do not recommend! I measured and had one made 4 years ago and it lasted about 20 rounds. I have never seen one at a rifle competition the last 4 seasons we have been competing. Get the muzzle threaded and buy a self timing brake from APA, Area 419, Patriot valley or others. Or have a quality Threaded brake timed and installed by your smith.

I put a witt on my cva paramount and I can't believe the difference it makes. I can shoot it now without getting a concussion lol 😂. But it did make it harder to clean.
Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.