witch one?

I agree with what most have said. In the right hands and assuming your 06' is a shooter then I'd be more than comfortable with the 06'. I personally use an 06' cause of the 2 choices that's what I got:) and don't have a 7mm.

never shot a 270. wsm and depending on the rifle it might. My 7mm rem mag kicks less then my dads 270. win and less then my 30-06 as well. My 7mm rem mag is a beautiful rifle and can shoot it all day no problem. Just fits right i guess. All though my hunting buddy sold his 7mm rem mag because his kicked to much, and he would flinch every once in a while. Not often but he decided he didn't want to flinch when it counted the most.

I have to agree. I have a .257 Weatherby Mag, 7 Rem Mag & 7mm STW for deer hunting. And of those, my .257 is my 0 to 300 yard gun, My 7mm Rem Mag, is my 250-500 yard gun. The 7mm STW is my 500-1000+ yard gun.

I only take them according to where I plan on sitting in the woods that day.

The .257 Wby is a very capable gun out to 500 yards with a 110 grain AccuBond.

The 7mm Rem Mag is one of my favorite calibers of all time. It's flat and fast. It is very capable to 750 yards with factory loads (if you know what to buy :D). They don't make my ammo anymore, but I have a little stock-pile of it at home. :rolleyes:

The 7mm STW is the 1000 yard massacre gun. It is just plain ole' dirty shooting 160 AccuBonds out of it. 1 ragged hole at 100 yards. Only thing holding it back currently is lack of funds for a long-range NightForce scope. gun)

Of the 2 mentioned calibers I would have to recommend the 7mm Rem Mag if you don't feel comfortable with the .30-06 out to 500 yards. I have seen people shooting .30-06 hunting rifles with plain scopes and killing deer at over 500 yards. The caliber can do it, if the load, gun, and gunny are proficient.

And I think next on my line-up of long-range guns is gonna be a Weatherby TRR in .30-378 Weatherby Mag. They're hard to find, but bad to the bone!

also do yall the 7mm rem mag kicks about the same as a 270 wsm?

I have both the 7mm RM and the 270 WSM. Both cartridges hold about the same amount of powder. (70 to 71 grains.) If you're loading 150gr bullets in both, they should kick the same. However the 270 WSM often is found in a short action, and works well in a 24 inch barrel. This makes for a lighter rifle. (kicks more) My 7mm RM is in a Remmy 26 inch SPS Varmint heavy rifle. (kicks less)

So these two are very similar in the same weight rifles. They kick similar to a 30-06. The 270 WSM is more fun to walk with all day. The 7mm RM shoots heavier, high BC bullets.

Seems like you pays your money and you takes your choice.

One more thing if I may... Seems like the guys around here love either the 7mm Mag or the 30-06, but not both.
Just an observation not a judgment.

JM .02

By4camper, you could be right when you say "Seems like the guys around here love either the 7mm Mag or the 30-06, but not both"

Maybe it's an age thing...I have no data to back it up. I wonder the average age of those that prefer 06' and those that prefer 7mm. Maybe that could be Len's next poll.

The 7RM has a flatter trajectory out to 500 yds and a little better wind resistance. The .06 will make a bigger hole, but the 7 will make a big enough hole.

The 300 WSM has the same trajectory as a 7 RM with a bigger bullet and not a lot of difference in recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.