Wish me luck bedding new scope

I think the gist of the whole bedding process is about the areas that you cannot see with the naked eye. The edges my be making perfect contact, but there could still be some surface area that is not making that same contact.
Operating under this mindset would require a bedding job for the scope/rings every time, regardless of any visible need.
I get it and it makes sense. Since I got semi serious about my equipment and my shooting, I've always used Nightforce rings and those rigs consistently shoot .5moa or less, usually less, out to distances that are Max for me.
But you never know, maybe my .280ai that is a .4moa shooter on average (with anything iwould yield better groups if I had bedded the scope to the rings????
I may go this route with my next scope mounting job, but I'm leaving well enough alone with my existing rifles.
I take a lot of time and am very meticulous when mounting a scope.....to the point where I am reluctant to take it off once it's on and rifle is driving tacks. I have two set ups right now that I'd like to swap scopes, but I just can't bring myself to do it. But that's just me being neurotic.
Great topic and some excellent info being shared.
I am the same way. All this is new. So I figured I might give it a go. Try to learn something new. I have never lapped and if I had I probably would not have tried this.

I will say this. Last night I put the Swaro on my wife's rifle. No bed job. I have only bedded the Meopta. It just felt so much better laying the scope in that smooth bed and then setting it up with a plumb line and flashlight.( first time trying that too)

What I mean by better is that every time I turned the Swaro it felt gritty in the rings. Never left a mark on it but it wasn't butter smooth like the bedded Meopta either.

Have been bedding bases and rings (top and bottom) for a long time. I used to hone the scope rings and never found a set of mounted rings perfectly aligned. Too many variables involved to predict rings will be perfectly aligned with the scope and bore. I don't bother honing any longer; setting everything, lightly tightened, in a good epoxy allows me to align everything while introducing no unnecessary stress on the scope when later torquing the screws to specs. Many of the problems I was attributing to scope malfunction disappeared when I started bedding my scopes. Takes some practice, good non-sag epoxy and a reliable releasing agent to get it right so the congratulations to the OP on a great looking bedding.

So do guys think I should ditch the aluminum rings and just get steel rings?Haven't used steel rings in so many years that I can't even remember when.
Not necessarily. I try and use steel rings on heavy recoil rigs. Magnums, etc…. That being said though I have some magnum rigs with very high quality rings that are aluminum.

I just checked the box and it was not Leupold PRW rings I used but Vortex Precision 30mm rings, around 100 bucks with shipping but was highly recommended by the folks that sold me the Vortex scope.I have the PRW rings but did not use them as they too were binding at the same place.
It without a doubt has to be the receiver that is not right as when off the rail the rings fit perfectly but after torqued on the rail it was binding at the sides.Yes I did bed the Talley Rail as the rear did not touch the receiver.Looks ok now that I lapped the rings a bit.
I would love to have a custom rifle as they most likely don't have this problem.

Any you gentlemen familiar with the Buhelur Micro Dial one piece adj base that moves up and down for the elevation adj the ? The scope is mounted too the base very rigedly, the Baush and Lomb balvar scopes had no internal adj , too get elevation the rear of the base moved up and down on a screw and locked in place with a knurled dial the base flexed at the front by the receiver . Im not saying everything should not be lined up but give that some thought it's contradive too what we do now mounting scopes of course that's old school
I have 7 of those Buehler micro dies and Balvar 8's, they are a great setup and I have killed many animals with them over the years as have my dad and grand father. I actually used to be a dealer for Buehler Products, I knew Maynard, Old man Buehler, he was a great guy, he lived about 17miles from me in Orinda, Ca. I met him when I was about 16 and drove over to his place and bought a set of rings and a Micro dial base for my new Mod. 70 300WM I had saved for. My dad gave me a Balvar 8 2.5-8 and its still on that gun today, 38 years later, and it still shoots great. I used to go see him once a month or so and got to be friends with him. I came close to buying his business back in the late 80's early 90's.
His rings and bases where state of the art back in the days and were a thing of beauty, any high end rifle had his rings and bases especially your high end african and dangerous game guns especially if they were engraved. He had the patented seamless split rings and they had paper thin shims you would us a razorblades to shave them of and there bluing was impeccable. I still have some nw old stock Im holding onto along with a bunch of screw kits for them.