Wish me luck bedding new scope

Looks great!- I would opt for Burris Signature rings with the eccentric plastic insert thingies or lap the rings but epoxy bed the base(s).

T
I concur. To me, it's a solution in search of a problem.
As you said, with two-piece ring mounts, bed the mounts to align them to the receiver .
I've never had an issue with a scope binding or slipping in the rings (including a .338 LM w/ Leupold MK IV steel rings).
Quality rings, on a quality one-piece rail don't need bedding IMO.

Theoretically, if you apply enough pressure to the scope tube when bedding you would squeeze ALL the epoxy out assuming the rings are precisely machined. There will be no voids. Leaving epoxy in place, simply raises the scope in the rings to sit on a thin layer of epoxy. Could the epoxy have a greater friction coefficient than the aluminum? Perhaps, but again- I don't have problems so I don't need a "solution".

Makes zero sense to me why anyone would bed the scope to the bottom rings, and not the top as well? If your rationale is that the rings are not precisely machined to obtain maximum surface area contact- wouldn't this apply to the top half of the rings as well?
The top of your rings are capable of flexing a little where the bottoms won't so it's not quite as critical if you lap both the chance of taking off to much is easily possible then you will be bedding them or pitching them bedding will come out with a little heat so you can't goof that up. David

Never bedded a scope.
The Last short action Rem 700 I set up, With 1 piece mount. With front screws snugged down, I could put . 030 of feeler gauge between the base and back receiver ring. JB metal epoxy filled the gap and every thing fits perfect.
If I had put the scope on with out aligning the base, My scope may be junk now.

Never bedded a scope.
The Last short action Rem 700 I set up, With 1 piece mount. With front screws snugged down, I could put . 030 of feeler gauge between the base and back receiver ring. JB metal epoxy filled the gap and every thing fits perfect.
If I had put the scope on with out aligning the base, My scope may be junk now.
Why couldn't you do the same thing with . 030 shim stock

What will this gun do? Don't really know yet. Sub MOA with factory Winchester cheapies. I have fired about 12 hand loads.
six with one powder and six with another.
I had four consecutive shots in 3/8" and two fliers. 6 shots in 15/16"

Bedding the rings does the same as lapping and probably better. Since the scope came out I am not stuck(pun intended) This is a set of $42 rings. Now I know that the front bed is 100% in-line with the back bed in the rings. 100% stress free on the scope tube.

May not make one bit of difference. Where I see it could is extreme weather changes. Expansion and contraction of a flexed rail and torqued rings would change torque on scope.

Remember there's usually more than one way too solve a problem the J B I'm sure works well never done it that way might do that some day I allways use my scope allignment bars and go from there if the points line up I know there's no stress on the scope and I'm good yoo go .

Remember there's usually more than one way too solve a problem the J B I'm sure works well never done it that way might do that some day I allways use my scope allignment bars and go from there if the points line up I know there's no stress on the scope and I'm good yoo go .
One added benefit is the bedding leaves no visible marks on your scope tube and I can't say that about any of the scopes I had mounted from 1977 until I started bedding. David

As the say "There's more than one way to skin a cat".
Any you gentlemen familiar with the Buhelur Micro Dial one piece adj base that moves up and down for the elevation adj the ? The scope is mounted too the base very rigedly, the Baush and Lomb balvar scopes had no internal adj , too get elevation the rear of the base moved up and down on a screw and locked in place with a knurled dial the base flexed at the front by the receiver . Im not saying everything should not be lined up but give that some thought it's contradive too what we do now mounting scopes of course that's old school

Looks like you did a really good job , would have been curious how much difference it made before and after by the way you did good on your scope choice hope it shoots as good as it looks
Thanks on the scope compliment. I am
Loving it!!!!!!!!! I knew that at times my eyes would get stressed and I would have to start to refocus with regular cross hairs. The red dot is awesome. Something about all the cross hairs can fuzz plumb out while I am squeezing but this dot stays right where I want it. My old eyes are super happy with it. Zero complaints!!!!