Wisconsin Tragedy

Yeah, a damned shame; and just what we needed, for our image.

But, I heard the guy was a hmong(sp) from Viet Nam. In California, them and Cambodians have been responsible for a lot of game enforcement problems. Basically, they don't understand or respect game laws.

I don't feel this is a representative case, at all. Therefore, I expect the media to milk it for all it's worth.

Good hunting. LB

[ 11-21-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

Five Dead, Three Hurt in Wisconsin Hunting Dispute

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. (Nov. 22) - A deer hunter shot and killed five people and injured three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt's opening weekend, authorities said.

a peek at what we will be dealing with, aol message board:

Message 1 of 44 Subject 4 of 50
Subject: Gee, too bad
Date: 11/22/2004 2:13 AM Pacific Standard Time
MsgId: 548285:120

Gee, that's really too bad, ya know. But, that's five less dummies with tiny penises and big guns running around, exercising their "second amendment" rights to kill unarmed, defenseless deer. Woooo, macho macho men! Here's hoping this becomes an epidemic.

The report I read said that...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Zeigle said the suspect was ''chasing after them and killing them,'' with a SKS 7.62 caliber semiautomatic, a common hunting weapon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you gotta be kidding me.. hunting with an AK.. common.... how do these people make it through the hunter saftey courses? Or athey just a boring Saturday afternoon and no one really cares or the state make them to easy to get through??

CNN is already eating this up. Supposedly an SKS is an extremely high powered assault rifle equipped with a "deer-scope." SKS hunters are the exception, not the rule, definately not common. Prayers and condolences to the families of the hunters.

Philip

I was just out in WI on September. It's a cryin' shame about the people who were killed by this nut, but absolutely the majority of the media will surely milk it for all it's worth.

A good point about the AKS. Most definitely not "a common hunting weapon", as they said in the article.

I believe I'll wait this out a bit more before labeling anyone.

Couple of things seem amiss or don't add well and I believe more info will come.

What sufficient motive to kill these folks???

He didn't want to come out of a tree stand so he killed them??

He didn't want to leave private property so he killed them??

Could he have thought he'd not get caught and just killed them??

Could he have been threatened??

Could he have feared for his life and acted in self defense??

The stories are confused and sketchy as I read them. Some say he left and came back wearing camo. Why camo??? Where did he keep it and why, it's Blaze Orange in that area (maybe it was under his blaze orange??).

Maybe he had an SKS because they're inexpensive (frugal folks).

I'm a little leery because I've personally been confronted "Up North", on public land by neighboring land owners. My last trip up there a neighborly fella demanded I give him a deer I had shot (smallish doe). He stated he had seen it first over on his land and it then crossed the road onto public where I had shot it. This fella was "right ****ed" and was very agitated so we (myself and two hunting partners) let him have the deer. We still fondly referr to him a "Grumpy". I've also seen and heard the manner is which some folks describe and confront the Hmong people, less than friendly in many cases.

I imagine there is fault on both sides but to what degree I don't know, one would find it hard to believe he's justified in what is being portrayed currently but I'll not hang him just yet...

As you wish, Dave.

The gun hating liberals will spin it for public consumption. Who cares which gun nut stated it; get rid of the guns and the problem is solved.

I see no justification, anyway you slice it.

Good hunting. LB

LB

You're correct, no matter how this plays out the gun community can't reap any benefit from this. It's certainly a shame and a great loss and in the end we'll hopefully know what transpired but it'll mean very little at that point as the damaged on all fronts will have been done.

I hope the truth comes out and I feel for the loss of all concerned.

[ 11-22-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.