Wisconsin Army Reservist refused...

britz

I was reading the paper this morning and my blood almost began to boil. Wisconson "man" refused to go with his unit to Iraq because he was disillusioned with the war in Iraq.

I have no problem with someone who disagrees with the government. I have no problem with a solder who doesn't agree with what he/she is supposed to be fighting for. I wonder why this guy didn't go through the proper channels BEFORE he was supposed to be deployed. Makes me sick to see people milking the system until they are asked to do what they volonteered and are paid to do. What, did he think he was going to get sent to the Cancoon for his next deployment??

I hope this guy gets prosecuted!

had to vent. feel free to disagree. Here is a link to the paper Wis. soldier, who served with Minn. unit, refuses to return to Iraq

Not to much new news with the looser Spc. Kristoffer Walker yet. I honestly thought this would stirr up more here. The guy joined the army in 2002, served in Iraq in 2004 and now says the war is immoral and unjust. He never tried to be a consiencious objector because he feels that would be futile. He is probably right. Signed up in 02??? how long of a contract did he sign???

If he didn't like the war than he had opportunity to quit. NO, he signed on for some weekend duty thinking it was going to be over before he had to go again. In my not very huble opinion, he is an embarrisment to his unit!

I agree that he should have let someone know before hand. BUT, I've never been in combat and I won't judge him. He is a patriot for joining in the first place, and there is always more to the story that we don't know.

AJ

Thanks AJ, you bring up a good point! Sometimes I need someone to "take me down a notch". I have never been in combat either, so that is a humbling fact...

However, I have a major problem with some of the people who are in the guards because they think it will be an easy buck. I have a few friends who did this and I lost total respect for them. On the other hand, I have a very good friend of mine is in the guards, searved in Iraq in 2002, and isn't able to deploy with the second deployment of her unit because the Nat guard won't let her for health reasons (fighting cancer). I would have very different feelings for this guy if he would have simply quit after his contract was up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "boy if I was over there..." It would scare the crap out of me. The point is that he had his opportunity to get out and didn't take it.

However, i guess there is usually two sides to every story...enough said.

Last edited:
I agree that he should have let someone know before hand. BUT, I've never been in combat and I won't judge him. He is a patriot for joining in the first place, and there is always more to the story that we don't know.

AJ

I'll second that. He served one tour of duty there. I've not.

some good comments here and i agree with a few. hats off for one tour but----
when you swear in and train in bootcamp regardless of service we all take the same oath--to protect the country from all enemys forieghn and domestic----
and the last time i checked the army still trains to fight and i live by fort jackson and hear the traing.
sad as it is we have those in each conflict. some that emlist for the money thinking they can play gi joe and it never really settles in they may have to earn a check.
the others that are just pure chicken %^&*
i served two tours in combat and we had a guy in formation ready to get on the trucks and he left to get a drink and never came back. we locked him in the brig 10 months later.
I had two guys on ship just a week before landing that all of a sudden became muslam and couldnt fight there brothers. we left them on board to do cooking and laundry untill we could deal with the court martial but my platoon sargeant sent me to get them since we were running two patrols a day. i convinced !! them to come with me and took them out that day on a patrol that we knew we would run into some crap. about 5 minutes into the firefight i yelled at one as he reloaded "so what you think of your brothers now"
oh yea they stayed muslim but stated that the lost followers were the ones we had problems with.
funny how a bullet and all hell rainng down on you can make you change.
as for the gaurdsman that refused to go with his unit------------------------
he will probably get a BCD busted and discharged with brig time and a BCD is the same as a felony

to all my brothers and sisters in arms --semper fi

How does signing up for the military make you a patriot ?

Everybody i've ever known who went in -went in for themselves either because they lived out in the middle of nowhere and there was nothong else to do -or went in for the g.i. bill -college .

Certainly some go in to serve but very few in my opinion.

Everybody i've ever known who went in -went in for themselves either because they lived out in the middle of nowhere and there was nothong else to do -or went in for the g.i. bill -college .

That comment was stupid enough to belong up in the Nightforce Clarity thread.

About this time of year some 38 years ago Special Forces 1Lt Dennis A Calton of Baraboo, Wisconsin died up on the DMZ trying to save a friend.

Dennis was scheduled to go home in 8 days. It was not even his turn to run the mission but he volunteered. Dennis had a degree in Geology/Mining from Arizona State University and around his neck on his dog tag chain was the engagement ring and wedding band for his fiance.

calton3a-1-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.