Winter Prairie Dogs

ranjan1

Does anyone pd hunt in the late fall and winter months ? I was wondering if it is active when cooler weather is around. Someone told me once that if the sun was out the dogs also resurface. Let's hear from someone who knows

Does anyone pd hunt in the late fall and winter months ? I was wondering if it is active when cooler weather is around. Someone told me once that if the sun was out the dogs also resurface. Let's hear from someone who knows

This guy was taken 1/20/12 near Beyers Colorado. Their out, just not in force and we only shoot a few... Want them to produce more for next year.

6mm-06 @ 500 yards, 85gr Speer BTSP @ 3750

Jon
IMAG0005.jpg

Oh ya they come out on nice sunny days in the winter. My buddy and I shot PDs a couple years ago on a very cold day. The sun was shining, no wind but 0 degrees. They must have been hungry or in need of sunshine because we shot the heck out of the town. So yes winter PD hunting is great. Just add sunshine! In our are we don't have the problem that "strombeckj" has with limited pds.

Enjoy the hunting...

Shot this one November 20, 2011, in Utah. Chilly day, but good shooting. I've shot them in the snow before. When it gets sunny and the mud freezes or dries enough I head down and shoot.

Attachments

• 683 yd. pd 11.26.2011 resize.jpg
    683 yd. pd 11.26.2011 resize.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 278
I live in prairie dog country. During the winter when its sunney and the wind is not blowning I go out shooting. The old p dogs are muzzle blast smart so I start off with a little 17 caliber rifle but end up using a 22-250 Rem and 220 Swift. One day I used a 243 Win w/6.5-20 X AO scope and shot a few close ones and saw p dogs 400 yards away head into their holes. Winter time is good for long range shooting.

It's a Cooper Custom Classic model 22 in 22-250. That particular 'dog is my longest ever at 683 yards. I have been using JLK 52 gr low drag bullets in it for quite a while, and 52 gr A-Max's when I run out. It consistently shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups. Scope is a 6-24 IOR.

I'm getting ready to start working up some loads for my Tikka 22-250 and also and my Ruger tang saftey swift. Just couldn't help commenting on that beautiful rifle. Thanks for responding.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.