Wingbone calls..

Personally I think they are more show than anything. It is very hard to call softly with one. Dad made a few using real turkey wing bones, but they didn't sound all that great. Someone told him to get the wing bones from a goose. So I shot him a couple and he made one out of goose bones. To tell you truth is really does sound better...not as loud, but you still only have one volume...loud.

He carries it in his vest for VERY windy days. I havenever heard him get an answer, but he said he has.

That is pretty interesting. So it is more of a locator call than a call to work a bird into range. I got one coming to me so I am going to give it a try. I just figured since I got one of every other kind of call might as well learn how to use a wingbone. The one I bought is made out of a hen wingbone so maybe it will sound better.

DoubleG

Yeah, I bet the turkey smaller bones will work better. I never thought about using hen bones.

Yes, they are good as a locater type call.

Once you use it a bit I think you'll see they would be very hard to us on a calm still morning for working in close. I use a box call as a wind day locater. My dad uses both the box and wing bone.

You ever tried a boatpaddle type box call... That sucker screams! It actually hurts my ears when I run it. It works wonders for windy days and for locating birds. It is very high pitched. It actually sounds pretty crappy but it will make em gobble. I don't use mine much but it is pretty neat.

Yeah I have read where the hen wing bones are suppose to be better. They are hard to come by tho since only certain states allow you to hunt hens. I am ready to try it out..

DoubleG

I have used them and they do work. Like most calls you have to find the bird that likes the sound. I've had birds hang up with slates and diaphrams come running to the wing bones and vice versa. You just gotta practice and give them a chance in the field. Most people use them once or twice and give up. The hens do sound better but the gobbler wings work too. I've heard that goose wings work and I scored a couple of crane wings this past season so hopefully they will work out.

Here are a few that I made as gifts. I haven't made any in a couple of years but I'd like to. Maybe I'll get a few sets of wings this spring...

Copyofwingbone2.jpg

yelper1.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.