Winds in the mountains

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by WWB, Sep 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Maybe sell people by what the software brings to them and where it excels, I took the time once to get into it and read all the manuals and it was so full of holes for the long range hunter it was not even usable, it's not super secret operator only stuff either, anyone who has ran Cold Bore/Patagonia ballistics for 10 plus years or see how similar Hornadys 4DOF program is for FREE and very usable to the long range hunter will struggle to see any value in X-Ring, nobody is shooting elk from a helicopter or calculating movers or loopholes.
    Not to sound like a jerk but cold bore at 1200 meters does not blow any ones skirt up, that's just going hunting for a lot on this forum though it's less than it used to be there are MANY guys that would not be even a remote issue.

PredatorSlayer likes this.
  2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I honestly love shooting in the wind, really at long range anymore the wind is the real challenge that stimulates the brain so to speak, nothing better than a wind blowing snowing day to get into the mountains and learn and shoot my hunting areas. Get out when you can see the compression though saddles, down drafts behind long ridges, where the dead air pockets lay that you can drive a bullet up through. I can't imagine a long range shooter that would not understand the bullet and it's path not getting into different air, here we have a very, very pronounced prevailing wind from the south and if you clue into the sounds of that moving though the mountains your money but then the way our terrain lays we have thermals coming up the basins into and under the prevailing winds so it's rare we won't shoot rim to rim without having a warm wind coming up and under a bullet then it's going up into an opposite cool wind at about double value then coming back down into on the opposing face, love that kind of shooting!!!

Doug Herold and jasent like this.
  3. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Bigngreen, do we know eachother?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. Blancoalex

Blancoalex Member

This is the type of post I would like to see more of shared by those that have this extra experience. My son and I are on this journey ourselves to learn more about making cold bore hits in our hills. It is amazing to have a certain wind at your location and have the bullet travel through it first. Then encounter a higher wind in its arch and then end up in calm protected hillside. Look forward to seeing more of these.

WWB likes this.
  5. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Would love to work with you two.

Don A Parsons likes this.
  6. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Dude, you can disagree, but you cant be an *Rule 4 Violation*. Dont like the post? Dont participate.

7. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Well, when your body isn't what it once was, this works best for me

8. Blancoalex

Blancoalex Member

Here is website and phone app that are available to see real time wind all over the world or zoomed in to right were you at. We use it to look days ahead and it's pretty accurate in it's forecast. It is amazing as to how the wind varies some much even within your home state. You see it change at the oceanfront meeting land or going around hills and mountains.

it is Windy.com

Hand Skills and Salmonchaser like this.
  9. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Very Nice Check out this post https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/winds-in-the-mountains-ll.226336/

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  10. Salmonchaser

Salmonchaser Well-Known Member

I never thought about using WINDY as a shooting solution, I use it everyday to plan where or if we go in the float planes. It is very accurate in my experience, even days ahead. Always fun to see a monster storm brewing in the Bearing Sea, and at the last minute watch it slide off to the west.

Barrelnut likes this.
  11. Blancoalex

Blancoalex Member

Windy is not a final shooting solution but it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. We even use the ribbon we have hung up in the tree that we see as we go out the door to do some shooting.

12. Salmonchaser

Salmonchaser Well-Known Member

I could have written my response more clearly. No offense intended.

13. Blancoalex

Blancoalex Member

Salmonchaser no offense taken or even ever entered my mind. I like how you use Windy to plan your flights. I was introduce to it by fellow worker that plans his offshore fishing trips with it. Even the cloud feature it offers is pretty handy.

Don A Parsons likes this.
  14. WWB

WWB OFFICIAL LRH SPONSOR

Windy shows how the cooler air / winds are drawn towards the heated areas. Great study tool