Wind Meter

rifletuner

Guys

I am looking at electronic wind meters at present for use in competition and varminting. Has anyone got any comments, experience or recommendations on the models available out there? I really need some knowledgable input.

Thanks

Fergus

Fergus,
I have the Kestrel 300 and the Minox Windwatcher (from Leica). I have compared them many times and have never seen any significant difference in the readings. The Minox is also sold under another brand name I believe, probably cheaper if it doesn't come from Leica. They are both nicely made, most guys prefer the Kestrel when they compare the two. Here are some thoughts on them for what it is worth:
..the Minox is significantly smaller in overall size, has a shiny aluminum colored plastic (?) case, has a smaller impeller that is not replaceable by the user, at least there is no mention of doing so. It has a carry string attached, does about the same functions as the Kestrel. Impeller (fan) housing turns so that the blades are shielded when not in use
..the Kestrel 3000 has a separate protective carrying case that the unit slides in and out of, uses repaceable fan blade assembly (impeller? which can be bought from Kestrel) and an oversize lanyard that is the only thing that I do not like. I store both units in an RCBS die box that has the little baffles removed, and the big boot-lace sized lanyard takes up a lot of room. On the other hand it securely holds the unit and case, and I could easily take it off and put on another.

Both units have two buttons to activate the unit and its programs, that is at least one too many for me. They are very nice for determining what the wind at your site is doing, tell you how strong the gusts are and what an average is. Also tell the temp but I don't know how accurately relative to a good thermometer, does it matter as they give you a pretty good idea. As I mentioned the two units are usually within one or two mph and one degree.
ian

I have the Kestral and have not been able to see anything else to compare it to. Seems pretty foolproof to me. I put the lanyard around my neck and tuck the unit itself into a shirt pocket when out in the field. Easy to pull out for a quick check. I usually take frequent, quick velocity samples as I walk along, sort of like pre-ranging to get an idea of prevailing conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.