Wind holds and second focal plane

You've lost me. There is nothing more to do then to calculate the solution and dial the scope. Literally and exactly the same as a FFP. If you are dialing a scope you don't have to be concerned about anything whether on 3x or 24x, dialing is dialing.
Yes, I confuse myself sometimes. LOL My buddy and I were shooting steel one day out to 1200 yds. We started at 300 and went out in range. We were holding off for wind and dialing for elevation. We started missing to one side at 1000yds and thought the wind must be much stronger at 1000 than at 300-800. Finally realized we forgot to calculate spin drift and Coriolis into the equation. LOL Calculations, calculations get you every time.

Right, my point is you still have to calculate a different wind offset for each zoom power. Dialing wind offset will change as the range changes. Just one more thing to go wrong shooting long range with a SFP especially in a hunting situation when things are rapidly changing and you forget to calculate the change. I'm more comfortable shooting long distances with a FFP because of fewer calculations.
You don't have to calculate a different wind offset for different zoom power if you dial the windage...
Holding wind offset with a FFP scope also changes when the range changes...
Doesn't matter if you have a FFP or SFP scope, you still have to recalculate the wind when the range changes.

It's really not that hard, I've been using a Leupold VariXIII Long Range Tactical for 30 years. Mildot reticle, moa dials, sfp lol. You just dial your comeups and windage and fire. If the hit is off and you see the amount in the reticle just holdoff the amount you need. Even on SFP it won't matter what power the followup holdoff correction will be. If you see a half a mil off at 10X on a 14X you'll still correct a half a mil.

Boom. This guy just discovered why many of the SFP people in the other FFP/SFP thread just don't get it. It's all about first round hits, and wind holds aren't constant in a SFP optic. ;)

-----------

Well i would argue that it isnt all about first round hits, although they are always peferable.
What its about is being very familiar with whatever your using, and not be asking questions about what to do when the time comes.

Yes, I confuse myself sometimes. LOL My buddy and I were shooting steel one day out to 1200 yds. We started at 300 and went out in range. We were holding off for wind and dialing for elevation. We started missing to one side at 1000yds and thought the wind must be much stronger at 1000 than at 300-800. Finally realized we forgot to calculate spin drift and Coriolis into the equation. LOL Calculations, calculations get you every time.
That is true. I like to zero .25-.5 left of center and rule that crap out for anything inside 1k. Cori is a different beast but its usually .5 at 750-1000 and you don't mess with under 750. Anything inside of 1k there are things you can do to really help yourself out. Past 1k, your data has to be more precise and the little things make huge impact. Generally LRH is done inside 1k, which is still pretty far, but it's fairly manageble in good conditions. When I shoot 1500-2000 I am a lot more focused on things are literally of no concern at 500.

I prefer a SFP scope for hunting. I dial my elevation and hold off for wind, using inches. If I need x amount of MOA for a hold, I know what that is in inches and hold that many inches on the animal. I have been very successful doing that but I frequently shoot in the wind to stay sharp. This wouldn't win a competition at distance but I have taken animals out to 934 yards and never have fired a follow up shot.
Shoot the wind 'til its your friend. Wind separates the trigger pullers from the shooters.

I like to zero .25-.5 left of center and rule that crap out for anything inside 1k.
Dang it why didn't I think of that lol. I'm stealing it and claiming it was my idea!
Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

That is true. I like to zero .25-.5 left of center and rule that crap out for anything inside 1k. Cori is a different beast but its usually .5 at 750-1000 and you don't mess with under 750. Anything inside of 1k there are things you can do to really help yourself out. Past 1k, your data has to be more precise and the little things make huge impact. Generally LRH is done inside 1k, which is still pretty far, but it's fairly manageble in good conditions. When I shoot 1500-2000 I am a lot more focused on things are literally of no concern at 500.
Is that .5 mil or MOA?

Dang it why didn't I think of that lol. I'm stealing it and claiming it was my idea!
Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF
You to have a different level of laziness to figure this stuff out. I was a math wizard in school and decided that stuff was hurting my brain. I do as little as possible now. My thing now is how fast can I get on a target. I am passionate about wolf hunting and they often don't lend the time for gadgetry. By the time my leica ranges the target and sends me the dial to I have a wind solution in process. By the time I'm on target and dialed up that wind hold is being conducted. Its very simple math. For example .2 moa per 5mph wind. So a 500 yard target in a 5 mph wind is .2x5= 1 moa. 800 is .2x8=1.6. half value is super easy at .1. 10 mph is .4 so 5x.4 = 2. I do use my app or kestrel but only for confirming and playing scenario's out. Now the remaining issue is vertical wind component. I know AJ in my head is .25 for 10 or .15 for 5. I am way more concerned with drafts and know that typically if am holding 2 moa for wind I am likely going to adjust .5 for vertical. Vertical is the hardest thing to figure out in my opinion.

Naw. 575 in a 10mph is around .5 per 100 or roughly 6x.5 or 3 moa. Roughly 18". A speed goat 575 yards you would see me acquire it, spin the mag up, and hold 2.75 and send it. Literally in the time it took you to read that is how long it takes to figure out wind once you know direction and speed. The only issue I have with FFP is how small the reticle is on low mag and people tend to lose the lines. They wind up spinning the scope anyway. For comp I use FFP because I hold over and under and wind for multiple target changes in one stage. Only time I see that hunting is with yotes but they are not usually 150, 500, 750, and back to 400.
FFP all the way now for me as well and all Mil. As for the yoodles when you learn to keep the wind to your back and can fart like a rabbit...then he'll trot back to 400!

You to have a different level of laziness to figure this stuff out. I was a math wizard in school and decided that stuff was hurting my brain. I do as little as possible now. My thing now is how fast can I get on a target. I am passionate about wolf hunting and they often don't lend the time for gadgetry. By the time my leica ranges the target and sends me the dial to I have a wind solution in process. By the time I'm on target and dialed up that wind hold is being conducted. Its very simple math. For example .2 moa per 5mph wind. So a 500 yard target in a 5 mph wind is .2x5= 1 moa. 800 is .2x8=1.6. half value is super easy at .1. 10 mph is .4 so 5x.4 = 2. I do use my app or kestrel but only for confirming and playing scenario's out. Now the remaining issue is vertical wind component. I know AJ in my head is .25 for 10 or .15 for 5. I am way more concerned with drafts and know that typically if am holding 2 moa for wind I am likely going to adjust .5 for vertical. Vertical is the hardest thing to figure out in my opinion.
I'm trying to simplify shooting for two reasons. I don't have the time to train like I once did. And I cannot afford to shoot as much as I once did. I may purchase a cheap LPVO for one of my AR's. I ran one for years with just a duplex reticle on rats out to 300 yards. But I'd like one of the new ones with a BDC reticle.

I'm trying to simplify shooting for two reasons. I don't have the time to train like I once did. And I cannot afford to shoot as much as I once did. I may purchase a cheap LPVO for one of my AR's. I ran one for years with just a duplex reticle on rats out to 300 yards. But I'd like one of the new ones with a BDC reticle.
KISS is legit. I think once a person gets to a certain point the white noise is no longer an issue and you just get it done. Training is difficult these day unless sponsored. I have a switch barrel set up now and swap to a 223 fast twist and run 88's out to 1000 with it. Such an excellent training cartridge and cheap. I only put 2000 down range this year but it was quality shooing imho. Lots of positional training and working on fundamentals.

That makes it easy...hmmmm...I'm looking at a nervous SpeedGoat...he's ranged at 575...now all I have to do is....oh yeah...math..scope is set at 14...so divide by x multiple by Y....dang...paper and pen...got it now....
Where'd the Goat go? Lol

Fair enough point, but I've always been able to turn to the calibrated magnification in plenty of time if I didn't know the math off the top of my head.