Wind holds and second focal plane

Snyderite

It's my first year shooting past 300 yards and I'm loving it!!
My buddy lent me a Zeiss V4 6-24. I really like the scope! But it's SFP.

Any tips for doing wind holds when I'm not at 24x? Do I just use the inch holds that Strelok says vs the moa hold?

I got excited shooting at a speed goat and forgot the whole second focal plane. I used the right wind hold on my scope but I'd backed off to about 16x. Clean miss and a good learning experience.

Thanks

If you are dialing it makes no difference which you have FFP or SFP.
If you are holding the wind in the reticle then you would have to be on the power that you scope uses for a one to one ratio. Most scopes are that is the highest power but not all.

I don't know if Strelok has your scope and reticule in its library. If it does you can change power settings in the program and it will give you the value changes on your hold overs. Find a magnification that you can live with. Confirm Strelok's values. And stay there.

**Sorry, I attempted to quote ShtrRdy and failed. Apparently I'm still figuring this forum out.

I have that model Zeiss and that's exactly what I do. Also, you can just take 24 (the max power where the reticle is calibrated to 1MOA per hash) and divide it by whatever power you're using and that will give you your minutes per hash at that power. So at the 16 you listed, it would be 1.5 MOA per.

Also, here's the link to the Zeiss website where they list some of this out.

I prefer a SFP scope for hunting. I dial my elevation and hold off for wind, using inches. If I need x amount of MOA for a hold, I know what that is in inches and hold that many inches on the animal. I have been very successful doing that but I frequently shoot in the wind to stay sharp. This wouldn't win a competition at distance but I have taken animals out to 934 yards and never have fired a follow up shot.

SFP is not that complicated but people do tend to have a dilemma with correct holds. The issue is if you wish to half the value of the scope and double the hold or go to correct sub tension. OR, you can simply understand the hold and translate that into distance. For example, if you have a 10 mph wind and need 1 moa for a 400 yard target, you have a 4" hold off. IF shooting 800 and same 1 moa, you have a 8" hold off. That is not that difficult to hold. It is very difficult to try and hold 5 moa on a 800.

The thing about using SFP for hunting is whether or not to choose a high magnification scope. I see a lot of people running 30x level scopes and that's just way too much scope imho. I used to be there too. A good quality scope with lower power 3-18, for example, is generally more than enough scope to reach a long long ways. The clarity of the glass makes a massive difference in what you can see. I hunt predators and have zero issue aiming small at 18x on yotes at 1k for example. So, if you are not at max mag for closer in shots, holding with a SFP is really about understanding the relationship of distance. IF you are shooting further 500-1000 then the likelihood of being on the lower end of the mag range is low and your hold should be correct.

For you, I'd do 2 things. I'd look at 12x for half mag value holds and put a note in your phone with the holds. That way when in the field and practicing you can reference back to it until it becomes intuitive. If you don't already know the relationship with MOA and inches I'd study that a bit. It'll help you feel more confident in the hold distance.

One of the reasons why NF F2 reticles make a lot of sense to me. Numbered so it follows the KISS method. Built for me!!!!

Lots of practice is the key!
I have both sfp and ffp scopes
My nxs on the 6mm creed I dial for wind

It's my first year shooting past 300 yards and I'm loving it!!
My buddy lent me a Zeiss V4 6-24. I really like the scope! But it's SFP.

Any tips for doing wind holds when I'm not at 24x? Do I just use the inch holds that Strelok says vs the moa hold?

I got excited shooting at a speed goat and forgot the whole second focal plane. I used the right wind hold on my scope but I'd backed off to about 16x. Clean miss and a good learning experience.

Thanks
Thanks for sharing because I could never figure out why a FFP scope for hunting, makes wind calls easier no matter the power. I just never had that issue. I just started hunting with a Leupold VX6HD SFP 3-18 so it is easier to stay on full power. Also in the Strelok App I go to the Reticle button then the target button, the second from right, it is represented as circles and a bulls eye, you can pull up the Pronghorn Antelope target and you can se where to hold on the animal for wind.

The above responses missed your question. You are well aware of the SFP zooming scale problem for "holdovers" which everyone was discussing.

Your question was "does the Strelok sliding scale also correctly adjust for windage at various magnifications" like it scales the reticle for various holdover calculations for a SFP scope when zooming.

I'd suggest you ask Igor this windage scaling question, the Strelok developer and not this Forum who would only be guessing. He is very good at responding to emails. His contact info is in your Strelok program.

My pure guess opinion like the other forum members is: Yes, the Strelok target it puts on its reticle also scales properly for wind like it does for holdover. You have to remember to type in the wind velocity and range into Strelok for your elk/sheep/gopher so the target symbol properly displays on Strelok's reticle display.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-105732_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-105732_Strelok Pro.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
The above responses missed your question. You are well aware of the SFP zooming scale problem for "holdovers" which everyone was discussing.

Your question was "does the Strelok sliding scale also correctly adjust for windage at various magnifications" like it scales the reticle for various holdover calculations for a SFP scope when zooming.

I'd suggest you ask Igor, the Strelok developer this question and not this Forum. He is very good at responding to emails. His contact info is in your Strelok program.
Where is that question asked?