Winchester's .270 WSM Is My Next Rifle Caliber

Does anyone handload 150 grain bergers for the 270WSM, just wondering what the COAL is. Would like to start a build on this caliber with a rem. short action just want to make sure they will fit.

When those young brainwashed guys with muzzlebraked short magnums and ultramagnums quit threatening my hearing and can actually print a group at range that beats my modern fast twist 7x57mm Mauser, I will concede the new short magnums and ultramagnums are something more that a gun rag solution waiting for a real world problem to solve. Speed (from a slow twist rifle) soon fades, but BC (and accuracy) are forever.

When those young guys see the results the "puny" 7x57mm creates, they ask what kind of rifle it is. I reply, "It's a caliber of rifle that had killed more elephants in Africa by the end of the 1920's than your ultramagnum ever will no matter how long it stays around....which might not be all that long after the gun rag writers start pushing the next new thing on you".

Admittedly, the rounds I shoot are not commercially available as I shoot exclusively handloads on game, and they would probably blow up an old Mauser 98 or Mauser 95 in short order. It just shows you what is available in the "old" cartridges with modern powder and bullets. If you want something more powerful, the 7x57mm AI is available, and is a more reasonable upgrade that unfortunately for commercial gun rags does not sell new advertising.

Interesting it is.

What is your loads for the 7x57 Mauser.

When those young brainwashed guys with muzzlebraked short magnums and ultramagnums quit threatening my hearing and can actually print a group at range that beats my modern fast twist 7x57mm Mauser, I will concede the new short magnums and ultramagnums are something more that a gun rag solution waiting for a real world problem to solve. Speed (from a slow twist rifle) soon fades, but BC (and accuracy) are forever.

When those young guys see the results the "puny" 7x57mm creates, they ask what kind of rifle it is. I reply, "It's a caliber of rifle that had killed more elephants in Africa by the end of the 1920's than your ultramagnum ever will no matter how long it stays around....which might not be all that long after the gun rag writers start pushing the next new thing on you".

Admittedly, the rounds I shoot are not commercially available as I shoot exclusively handloads on game, and they would probably blow up an old Mauser 98 or Mauser 95 in short order. It just shows you what is available in the "old" cartridges with modern powder and bullets. If you want something more powerful, the 7x57mm AI is available, and is a more reasonable upgrade that unfortunately for commercial gun rags does not sell new advertising.

Interesting it is.

What is your loads for the 7x57 Mauser?.

I've got a sporterized 6.5x55 that I would love to handload for. Of course I don't have anything set up right now. We are almost ready to move into our new house. I really like the rifle. It really needs a new trigger.

Great article, i havent read all of the posts so please forgive me if this has been previously stated.

I am an original Jack O'Conner fan. I bought my 270 win m70 on my 18th birthday with my own money. I have been an advocate for 30 years. Then on a fluke, while having my third barrel installed on the same rifle 2 years ago i had it rechambered for 270 Ackley Improved.

Best move i could have made. I have better then the wsm performance. I can always shoot regular 270 ammo.and i put a 130gr bullet out at 3300 fps. The new Nosler 150 Long Range Accubond out at 3200 fps and the 140 somewhere in between. I do suggest a 26" barrel, and Lee Collet Dies to keep expenses down.

When PO Ackley made his infamous statement that the 270 wasnt worth improving, he did not have access to today's powders and bullets. It will give you 8-10% more of everything. That means 200-300 more fps, and isnt that why we are here?

I am want to meet a serious man!

Hi all
I'm Marina, 26 years old :)
I am looking for good man. If he exists...
I'm loving sport and... Hope you understand

photo_3642531332_1.jpg

It is an interesting forum for me, so I think we have the same hobbies
So lets chat.
My e-mail is [email protected], Skype Sandramuh
Please, send me your fotos!

__
Added later:

This photography is corrupted, sorry!

By the way, all my photos here:
http://datingonhome.net/Sandramuh/personal_fotos/

P.S. And about that topic "Chatting and General Stuff" have some questions...

Re: I am want to meet a serious man!

Hi all

photo_3642531332_1.jpg

So lets chat.

__
Added later:

Seriously! :rolleyes:

Re: I am want to meet a serious man!

Hi all

photo_3642531332_1.jpg

So lets chat.

__
Added later:

Mercy:D:D:D

Lady you ain't gonna have to look that hard, I can see the Que from my house

See there is a God, I knew it

John

i own a Tikka t3 in .270wsm. at 100 yrds with Hordnany Superformance 140gr, it shoot 1/2 min. i hand load 140gr nos ballistic tips in Win brass,fed 215 mag primers, and 61gr of RL19. With that load, I get .434 at 100 and 4" at 400. this is a factory gun, thin barrel. speed is 3080fps. Recoil is no worse than my Savage 110 in .270win.. I am getting it re-barreled with a heavier fluted barrel, and will be getting some Matrix 165gr .277 bullets. will work up a load for them and with their BC of over .7**, should be a shooter at 1000, just to see if I can. One of the very few things about living here in Pa. We have a few 1000 yrd ranges..gun)

FYI, I love the .270wsm. have taken deer and whistle pigs at over 300 and all have dropped where they stood.

Last edited:
I own a 300WM, a 270,and 270 WSM.I bought the 300 in 1963 when I was still in the Marines.It has been my go to rifle since it's purchase.When I shoot it I have to prepare myself for the recoil.I shoot it with 180gr Partitions.It rocks pretty good.Recoil has never bothered me too much until recently.Shot it a couple years ago and didn't mount it correctly and man did it do the job on my upper arm, black and blue almost to my elbow.When I bought it there was no recoil pad on it.Bought a new Boyd's walnut stock and Decelerator pad and now it is a dream to shoot.
My 270WSM is a Rem model 7 with a laminated stock,goes about 7.25 lbs with a Leupold 4-12 on it.Seems like it doesn't recoil at all, about like one of my 257 Roberts.
My 270 is a Remington 721 with a Bausch& Lomb 2.5-8 power.Weighs right at 7.5lbs.Recoil about the same as 270WSM.
They all shoot sub moa at150 yds.ME LIKE IT:)

Randy

Randy,
Thanks for the info on the 300WM recoil upgrade. My 55-65'ish friend loves his (recoil not a problem before), but does mention there's bruising involved now when shooting 25-30 rds. or more. Thinking we might appreciate that advice... I'm looking to help him out with something. He just fixed the AC on my truck and said "$100" for the work, plus parts when I asked him how much. BTW, it wasn't even that kind of conversation. It just evolved into that. The job was a concerto. It was a PITA. The man deserves more. Looking to help out his Christmas stocking with somethin'. Budget $50-100. Gun is a Savage. Thanks for any tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts