Winchester xpr renegade long range

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all like the post says I've been looking into this newer winchester xpr model rifle has any one bought or used one of these yet if so can I get some input on it thanks

I have the 300wsm model as soon as it hit the streets (Nov last year) ---

My thoughts/ opnion

I was hoping for more. It's heavy, the renegade stock is stout, no flexing, but heavy. It's accuracy is meh to me. Will ot do under moa? Yes. Is it "inherently accurate"? Not so much.

I've only tried it with factory norma bondstrike ammo ( as I'm a handloader and was wanting the Brass but hoping for accurate factory ammo) -- it shoots just under moa with this ammo but has fliers, this is most likely due to the large es of this ammo so can't blame the gun.

As far as reloading, I've tried the 215 burgers with rl23 and 26 and I'm getting around 3/4 moa, have yet to fine tune the load but I doubt I could tighten it up a whole lot more. Working with some 166hh and 178 ah bullets to see how it does-- but haven't gotten into groups yet as I'm still testing for pressure.

I won't totally discount its accuracy yet as I've only tried a few combos, but I'm guessing the best I'll get will be between 1/2to 3/4 moa-- not too shabby but doesn't hit the .35 moa that my bone stock xbolt lr will do (and it's lighter)

I tried to put a lighter trigger spring in the xpr as the description says it has the m.o.a. trigger-- but it's different than prior moa triggers and you can't get to the spring. Lowest I can get the pull weight is 4.3 pounds ( info says it will go down to 3.5)

The bolt action isn't near as smooth as my Xbolt, I thought it would be with the Teflon coated fluted bolt but it's not.

The det. mag is shorter than I'd like, but I notched it to allow loading 2 rounds longer .

All in all, it's a decent rifle for the price, but I had better luck with my xbolt lr rifle

Last edited:
Okay thanks for the info.thats the same model I'm looking at getting. I found a couple available and I like them from what I've read and videos I've seen of them and the ones I've looked at.also I've never had the opportunity to own a winchester rifle before and wasn't sure how the xpr models were I know the model 70s least the ones I've shot were very nice rifles.

I have the 300wsm model as soon as it hit the streets (Nov last year) ---

My thoughts/ opnion

I was hoping for more. It's heavy, the renegade stock is stout, no flexing, but heavy. It's accuracy is meh to me. Will ot do under moa? Yes. Is it "inherently accurate"? Not so much.

I've only tried it with factory norma bondstrike ammo ( as I'm a handloader and was wanting the Brass but hoping for accurate factory ammo) -- it shoots just under moa with this ammo but has fliers, this is most likely due to the large es of this ammo so can't blame the gun.

As far as reloading, I've tried the 215 burgers with rl23 and 26 and I'm getting around 3/4 moa, have yet to fine tune the load but I doubt I could tighten it up a whole lot more. Working with some 166hh and 178 ah bullets to see how it does-- but haven't gotten into groups yet as I'm still testing for pressure.

I won't totally discount its accuracy yet as I've only tried a few combos, but I'm guessing the best I'll get will be between 1/2to 3/4 moa-- not too shabby but doesn't hit the .35 moa that my bone stock xbolt lr will do (and it's lighter)

I tried to put a lighter trigger spring in the xpr as the description says it has the m.o.a. trigger-- but it's different than prior moa triggers and you can't get to the spring. Lowest I can get the pull weight is 4.3 pounds ( info says it will go down to 3.5)

The bolt action isn't near as smooth as my Xbolt, I thought it would be with the Teflon coated fluted bolt but it's not.

The det. mag is shorter than I'd like, but I notched it to allow loading 2 rounds longer .

All in all, it's a decent rifle for the price, but I had better luck with my xbolt lr rifle
In your opinion would it be better to just save alittle more and buy a different rifle than spend the money on this one? I've looked at the browning x bolts and savage long range and high country models as well in same caliber. Not sure who all else besides tikka chambers 300 wsm in factory rifle?

It's probably going to be hit or miss on factory rifles. The Xbolt feels more refined/smooth than the xpr to me--- people say Tikka's are really smooth too, but the 1:11 twist on a Tikka has always put me off (though I saw they were slowly comming out with some in 1:10)

Pretty sure most new factory rifles will get you 1moa or better if you find the right ammo combo. I'm just not overly impressed with how the xpr feels . I know some people say they had issues with some of the xbolts too though... sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't.

I'm not done with my xpr, it might end up being a good rifle-- it just hasn't hit me yet that it's any better than any other factory rifle in its category --- my ultimate plan is to shorten it to 20", since they don't sell the SR model in 300wsm yet, and I feel the stealth is too short at 16.5" for a wsm. I'm not willing to spend the $ to shorten/thread it yet until I get more time with it and rounds down the tube.
I feel it's not a "fast" barrel either, as it seems to be on the lower end of speed for the barrel length-- the bore did look pretty smooth for a factory barrel through the scope

Last edited:
The renegade is a standard XPR with a greyboe stock. So you're definitely getting what you pay for. If it were me id save for the X-Bolt Max. Will outshoot the XPR every time. Feels nicer. Looks nicer. Better trigger. Overall better.