Winchester vs. Remington Brass

Moman, don't wast your time with Remington or Winchester brass. Spend the money on Norma Brass. Norma brass will;

1. Allow you to shoot higher pressure loads for higher velocity and better performance.

2. Allow for less time prepping brass.

3. Last longer, you get about 9 to 10 firings with Norma 270 WSM. You will only get about 3 to 4 firings with Winchester or Remington brass before it turns to junk.

4. Allow your rifle to shoot more accurately.

5. Much better consistancy

I am not saying Remington or Winchester wont work, it will, just not as good as Norma Brass. If you use Remington or Winchester brass, you will have to spend a bunch of time, cleaning necks, uniforming flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, trimming, ect.

Remington and Winchester have been falling down on the QC (Quality Control). I would highly recommend Norma Brass, and I bet you will get much better results. Sure, it's going to cost more up front but it will be cheaper and worth it in the long run.

You can get Norma 270 WSM Brass, at MidwayUSA, for $94.00 for a box of 100. I know it's $40.00 more than the Winchester or Remington brass, but it's worth it.

W.

I brought 200 norma cases when i brought my .308 and found that i couldn't get much velocity out of them and after 4-5 loadings with pretty light loads (40.5gr AR2206 - 155gr Lapua scenar) they were scrap. Consistancy was great but considering i payed almost $1 each for the norma compared to 70 cents each for lapua which is just as consistant and In My Experiance lasts a lot longer, I couldn't recommend norma.

Wildcat
Moman, don't wast your time with Remington or Winchester brass. Spend the money on Norma Brass. Norma brass will;

1. Allow you to shoot higher pressure loads for higher velocity and better performance.

3. Last longer, you get about 9 to 10 firings with Norma 270 WSM. You will only get about 3 to 4 firings with Winchester or Remington brass before it turns to junk.

Maybe it was just the lots used but when working with 270WSM brass for a 6.5WSM project I found the Norma brass to be a LOT softer and a LOT less forgiving with top preasure loads than Winchester brass.
I'll grant you Norma may work better in a crush fit chamber and is more uniform but to say it will last longer is a real stretch of reality!

I am not saying Remington or Winchester wont work, it will, just not as good as Norma Brass. If you use Remington or Winchester brass, you will have to spend a bunch of time, cleaning necks, uniforming flash holes, uniforming primer pockets, trimming, ect.

Remington and Winchester have been falling down on the QC (Quality Control). I would highly recommend Norma Brass, and I bet you will get much better results. Sure, it's going to cost more up front but it will be cheaper and worth it in the long run.

You can get Norma 270 WSM Brass, at MidwayUSA, for $94.00 for a box of 100. I know it's $40.00 more than the Winchester or Remington brass, but it's worth it.

W.

+1 what he said. I recently purchased a used 300wsm rifle that the seller included 120 norma brass. Before the rifle arrived I bought a few hundred winchester brass. (I went a little over board) I sorted it by weight and then trimed it to all the same length and unformed the primer pockets and deburred the flash holes. I found 3 cases that the necks had creases and one had a crack, those went in the trash. Upon receiving the norma brass I did all the same prep work, but one thing that I noticed right off was the weight range was much more uniform (these were new unfired brass) as was the case length and neck thickness. In neck thickness alone winchester was double that of the norma.

Upon shooting I noticed that the norma brass gave me tighter/more consistent groups, and the loaded rounds had much better concentricity (less run out measured on the bullet) with the norma brass. I the future, I will only buy norma brass for this wsm.

Winchester/Remington?

It's the luck of the draw. Norma is usually good quality, but soft. The .300WM Lapua is excellent. The RWS is apparently even better.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.