Winchester Pre 64

C-Crist276

Are winchester Pre 64's still sought after for custom builds. Once upon a time this was the action above all others actions. All the "custom builders" these days seem to use a clone of the 700. I have a handful of pre 64's that I have just been sitting on that I picked up in Tulsa a few years ago. I'm wondering if they still have a following among shooters and builders. Thoughts?

They certainly still have a following. With so Many flavors of custom actions they dont get used as much as they use to but a lot of us still love and appreciate them. I've been looking for a clean short action pre 64 action actually.

Last edited:
I'd say it depends on the nature of the build as well. For something setup to be a classic hunting rifle, it is an excellent choice.

They certainly still have a following. With so Many flavors of custom actions they dint get used as much as they use to but a lot of us still love and appreciate them. I've been looking for a clean short action pre 64 action actually.
I have a .308, (2) 270's, and a 30-06 pre-64 in the safe, was waiting on classic builds, but I'm a lefty and my daughter too young...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.