winchester or savage

adamgable

This is my first post here, i live in northern wyoming and hunt for elk and most other animals on down. Generally horseback. Have always shot a 30-06. Wanting to branch out some and try to learn some longer range shooting. Looking at two different rifles and wondering your guys thoughts. Looking at the savage predator hunter 10 max in 260 rem. Or the winchester model 70 extreme weather in 264 win mag. I have a few savages and a pre 64 70. This will be a mountain hunting gun. I am pretty hard on things. I would like to do the least possible to it for accuracy. I am trying to decide between the vortex viper or sightron s3. I am leaning towards the vortex as I do break things. I will handload. Just wanting some pros and cons. Thank you.

longer range shooting usually includes a heavier not lighter rifle. i suggest going to a heavier rifle for long range; like a remington sendero or long range ; and lighter rifle like an original rem 700 ti for mtn.

I have 5 Savages and have always been a Remington fan. I have had such incredible success with my Savages that is what I look for and build from now. I have had several Winchesters over the years too but have no love or hate for them. Just prefer my Savages. Nice rifles, easy to tune, shoot great out of the box, etc.

The 260 10 Predator is a nice heavy rifle for LR shooting. The 260 will not keep pace the 264 WM though. An option would be to get a 6.5-284. It is in between the two for performance. I have 2 6.5-284 rifles in Savage 116 with the 24" varmint contour barrels. 1 is getting a 27 Snyder in March. I expect to be throwing 140's at 3000 fps with ease.

I think you will want something like the Sendero or the Predator, creed, 260, 264, or 6.5-284 all work well for med to LR. I use my 6.5 for LR wolf hunting.

Optics and Scabbards. You will want a good scabbard. I got one for our wilderness hunts and taking clients with LR rifles. LR optics don't fit standard scabbards well. I run a scopecoat made of 6mm neoprene and stuff it in. It is tight, but man, I don't want to mess up a 2000.00 piece of glass.

OK, on to glass. I have a NF, Leupold, and Sightron. My buddy has the Vortex. I like the vortex well enough I would highly consider it. The only complaint I have is eye relief is marginal, and the parallax and power adj are stiff. My sightron parallax is stiff too, but eye relief is better and the glass is just as good. Between the 2 I like Sightron a tad better but the Vortex is a nice piece and the warranty is hard to beat. So in my opinion the Vortex is a great choice.

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly the info I was looking for. It's funny I just ordered the 116 today weather warrior in 6.5x284. I finally just said screw it and split the two calibers. I am topping it with an siii and will build a scabbard this winter to fit it. Thanks again very much for the great reply, I. Have been shooting my 30-06 for 15 years now and am very excited for this rifle.

I think you'll be pleased with your rifle choice, my buddy ordered the same rifle this weekend with basically the same intent. I have used both the SIII and Vortex on several rifles and I would consider a Vortex HS LR specifically in your case since you'll be in and out of a scabbard, it has a covered windage turret and a zero stop top turret and both will save your butt many times if you moving your rifle into and out of a scabbard. I really like the SIII but you really have to baby sit the turrets or manufacture zero stops.

How far are you planning to shoot? You may want to go with a 20 moa rail. The Siii has 100 moa and it will get you to about 1500 on standard base. You will need about 70 to get to 1 mile. If you plan 1000 or less 20 moa base is not needed. I do recommend a pica tiny tho regardless. They look good and make mounting rings for a LR optic very easy and solid.

Btw you can buy a nice scabbard if you want.

You can get a scopecoat cover and vortex scope level from midway.

I have not ordered the siii yet, I noticed some of them in the 6-24 had covered turrets, but not in the reticle I want. So I may consider the vortex you mention. I am going to call sightron to see if I can get the configuration I want. I will build a scabbard, it's what I do in my spare time. I will line it with sheepskin like a saddle skirt, should be a good project. Thanks again.

If decide to get the scope cover like I mention you will not need covered turrets. Build that scabbard for the rifle and a cover...... You will be set.

This is my first post here, i live in northern wyoming and hunt for elk and most other animals on down. Generally horseback. Have always shot a 30-06. Wanting to branch out some and try to learn some longer range shooting. Looking at two different rifles and wondering your guys thoughts. Looking at the savage predator hunter 10 max in 260 rem. Or the winchester model 70 extreme weather in 264 win mag. I have a few savages and a pre 64 70. This will be a mountain hunting gun. I am pretty hard on things. I would like to do the least possible to it for accuracy. I am trying to decide between the vortex viper or sightron s3. I am leaning towards the vortex as I do break things. I will handload. Just wanting some pros and cons. Thank you.
Find yourself a used Model 70 300wm "all weather" stainless and laminate and you'll have in all likelihood all the gun you'll ever want. If all you can find is one of the older Stainless/Synthetic classics scoop it up and put it in a stock that you like.

I bought an "extreme weather" 300wm and to be honest was a bit disappointed in the wimpy little buggy whip barrel but it was certainly a decent shooter after I bedded it.

I have not ordered the siii yet, I noticed some of them in the 6-24 had covered turrets, but not in the reticle I want. So I may consider the vortex you mention. I am going to call sightron to see if I can get the configuration I want. I will build a scabbard, it's what I do in my spare time. I will line it with sheepskin like a saddle skirt, should be a good project. Thanks again.
Sheepskin is actually a bad choice. It will rub the bluing off of a rifle faster than you can imagine. Better to line it with either deer or elk skin.

Thanks wildrose, I have one lined and have not had that problem, but will consider on this one with the bigger scope and all. I do have some elk hide I could use.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.