winchester model 70

mphstigerfan

I just ran across a wincheste model 70 with a stainless hvy barrel and a laminated stock its new on the shelf but I'm not sure how long its been there its chambered in 300wsm and they only want 400 for it any thoughts??? I have always been a remington guy but cant afford what I want. I hunt over bean fields and while I may not be shooting at 1000 yds like some of you I would like to be able to make shots at 400 and 500 yds. is this rifle worthwhile for me or should I go in another direction??

Last edited:
The Winchester are usually pretty nice rifles. And the price sounds pretty good. He's probaly got it marked way down, not to many people by the WSM's anymore. Nothing wrong with them except high priced ammo. But if you handload your good to go. I wouldn't shy away from it.

the shop where i found it is in memphis and several shops have popped up east of town(where most hunters would likely live) i havent been in there in a couple yrs until the other day I was shocked to see about 1/4 the bolt gun inventory they used to have anf half of those were remington mil spec type guns place is now full of handguns and ARs and AKs seems like hes trying to get rid of most of the hunting guns btw anybody know anything about a cz??? he has a couple nice looking guns for 350

its probably a coyote model. The wsm coyotes I've seen have been good shooters. Snatch it up, and have it bedded before you even do any shooting. You can pick up a timney trigger or have a trigger job on it; the pull will probably be excessive to start with...

Win. Mod. 70/ 30-06. Looking for advice on a antelope load off the shelf. I'm thinking of the Remington 125grn Core-Lok. Any thoughts?

the rifle is a coyote and though the money wasnt in the bank to pay the full amt + scope, rings, bases, bipod, ammo, etc... I did put $150 on it and put it in layaway (will be picking it up middle of next wk along with accessories)

In response to the second part of your question, CZ-USA, makes exelent shotguns! I own a CZ 712auto, and a CZ Canvasback o/u. Both are reliable shotguns that seem to''point''well and the fit/length of pull is suited for my style of shotgunning. I would highly recomend thier shotguns.
Ive hered good stuff from African game hunters on thier ''big bores'' but have no personal experience. A while back I was looking at a CZ bolt gun,I forget wich model, in a 223 or maybe in a 223wssm. Anyhow it had a set trigger etc and was tempting, then I hered they didnt chrome line thier bbl's. that turned me away from the purchase. I was patient tho, and wound up with another M-70 (chrome lined) in a 223wssm. Factory ammo and a pencil thin bbl actualy shot under a minute! Fun for a while, but fouled horribly so traded it for another M-70 in 300 wby! So long story shorter, Love thier shotguns, turned away from fast varmint guns, and hered good things about thier big bore stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.