Winchester Model 70 super shadow

omt223

Just picked up a used one of these is 7mm WSM for 320.00; didnt need it, seemed like a good price. Factory stock has to go for sure. Is there anything in particular I need to know before buying a stock? Is it just any post 64 SA stock? (obviously know I have to find bottom metal)

Post 64 SA stock should work. The barrel channel is what will vary on the stocks. Take a good look down your barrel and see what it looks like. The 70 7mm wsm that I had was in really bad shape mid length of the bore. Visibly bad with the naked eye.

Super shadow, black shadow, etc had different options on the mag-- mine is blind mag. I did some woodworking and put it on a diet, as the Boyd's was heavier than the plastic original-- when done I had the Boyd's down to right around the same weight as the oem.

I bought a Boyd's laminate stock for mine-- had to trim down the internal mag box to fit in the wood stock so it now only holds 2 in the mag (2+1) rather than the 3 it held with the Tupperware stock (3+1)

20200215_125322.jpg20200520_053609.jpg

Super shadow, black shadow, etc had different options on the mag-- mine is blind mag. I did some woodworking and put it on a diet, as the Boyd's was heavier than the plastic original-- when done I had the Boyd's down to right around the same weight as the oem.

I bought a Boyd's laminate stock for mine-- had to trim down the internal mag box to fit in the wood stock so it now only holds 2 in the mag (2+1) rather than the 3 it held with the Tupperware stock (3+1)

View attachment 316368View attachment 316369
whats your experience been with it? Dont really know what to expect out of it

I just picked up one of those in Stainless steel in 270WSM
The #7775's are what come on the Winchester Extreme Weather guns in WSM
I have 3 of those stocks on my Model 70's and will be ordering 1 more for the new gun
T.P.

whats your experience been with it? Dont really know what to expect out of it
It shoots about 3/4 moa with 168 berger, can't get the accuracy I want with other bullets -- still trying to tweak the loads to see if I can get them under moa
Right now I'm "meh" on it

It shoots about 3/4 moa with 168 berger, can't get the accuracy I want with other bullets -- still trying to tweak the loads to see if I can get them under moa
Right now I'm "meh" on it
But for the money, you feel its worth it?

But for the money, you feel its worth it?
Iirc I paid $325, plus $80 for the stock.
It's an OK rifle but I'd grab my x-bolt 7mag, or rem700 270 or 30-06 first.

Like I said, I'm "meh" on it, unless I can get a few other bullets to shoot accurately from it.

That's a slick idea. did you bed that stock?
I have a sherman in a boyd's that's bedded, and it'll shoot .3's for me on a good day

What's the twist on the 7mm wsm 10 or 9 1/2 I just bought a 270 wsm and 7wsm in model 70 super shadow from a guy they were his dads he said both have less than a box shot from them he wanted 400 apiece but let me get them both for 700

I

Love that what stock is it