Winchester Model 70 .280 Remington upgrade to AI

dan1953

LRH Team Member
What would it take to upgrade a .280 Remington to an Ackley Improved and what would I gain. I have never reloaded .280 as I don't use the gun much but I would if it became an AI and enabled me to hunt at distance a bit more. It is a featherweight model. Any suggestions for a gunsmith in central Florida, I live on the east coast?

D

Deleted member 115654

With a 22" bbl you won't gain much and you'll greatly reduce the resale value of your rifle.

The bbl will need to be set back, rechambered, a new extractor cut and reconed.

You would be ahead, if you wish to shoot farther, to sell your 280 and find a high condition 7mm Rem mag which you can load to duplicate anything from a 7mm08 to a full house 7mm remmag.

good shooting.

xsn10s

I think Winchester 280 barrels are 1-9.5" twist too. I'd check because that could take 180 gr bullets out of the equation. I'd first start loading for it to see how the thing shoots.

xsn10s

What would you be hunting and at what range? Looks like I'd look at what a 160 gr class bullet would do at a possible 2800 fps. Might be all you need and would make for a comfortable rifle to shoot in a Featherweight.

dan1953

LRH Team Member
It shoots about 1.25 moa right now with factory ammo. Federal Premium 140 gr Trophy Bonded tip.

john k

I hunted and shot the .280 most of my adult life. I still love it and there are enough cartridges that perform very closely to where it becomes an emotional or sentimental choice. 4 years ago I changed to the .280 Ackley Improved. I love it and it’s a great cartridge. Truthfully you will not achieve much more in ballistics than 280.
The 7 mag is a more logic choice. But I still would choose 280 AI because it’s a sentimental choice. The difference is out at 500+ yards. To get max out of that cartridge hand loading is essential. If you can’t find a reputable gunsmith, think about ordering a barrel. You would get a lot of feedback on this site in regards to barrels. Good luck!

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.