Winchester model 70, 270.

dustinfew

I have a Winchester model 70, 270. I'm struggling to find ammunition that will group well. I've tried several different grains and brands, all the way from Hornady to CoreLock. Does anybody have any recommendations or ideas on what that model likes?

Killed a few deer with Winchester 130 grn Power Point. I have loaded some 130 Nosler BT and 130 Branes TSX, with RL22 but have not tested them yet. Since the PowerPoint were working good enough for the purpose, I was in no rush

How big of groups are you getting?

My family has around 8 model 70 270s.

The best ones shoot around 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards consistently.

The worst ones around 1-1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards.

For factory ammo Federal 130 power shok or fusion is usually pretty decent.

Hornady ammo is usually the worst.

If you reload at all, hammer hunter 116 with h4350 has cut every single one of these rifles groups in half.

Most are under a half inch at 100 yards.

Here's my model 70 stainless featherweight with 116 grain hammers at 100 yards

Screenshot_20230125_180704_Gallery.jpg

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I kinda think that's the baseline for corlok.
I have no problems at all with it but that seems about what it does in sporting rifles.

Of all my Win M70, I only had one that was not shooting better than 1" at 100 yards with factory ammo. It was a M& 300 WM with tubberware stock. The problem with the recoil lug lost its "buffer" for a luck better word, that came from the factory. Once that was fixed, it shoots well. With handloads I am under 3/4" and closer to 1/2"
I would check for pressure points on the barrel and the make sure the recoild lug is either bedded or makes good contact with the stock when set in it.