Winchester m70

I've got 3 new production model 70's. A FWT 308, FWT 30-06, and an EW 30-06. The 308 is a South Carolina gun, the FWT 06 I believe is made in SC and assembled in Portugal, and the EW is Portugal. The fit and finish is great on all 3, with the 06 FWT being the nicest. All three adjusted down to 3 lbs or 3.5 lbs with no creep or overtravel. I have shot the EW the most by far since it's in a mcmillan now and is the most comfortable to shoot. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. The first pic is the 308 obviously with nosler ammo off a rickety table, the second is from the EW with a 180 Sierra prohunter over hunter shot prone , and the 3rd is the same load through the 06 FWT off a bench.
This post just re-affirms why I am so bummed out about my Supergrade.... your results are similar to the accuracy I had with my old New Haven featherweight, and clearly they can still make good ones based on your results and I just got a dud. Factory ammo (multiple different flavors of Norma PH was in the 2.5-4" range for 5 shot groups for me).

This post just re-affirms why I am so bummed out about my Supergrade.... your results are similar to the accuracy I had with my old New Haven featherweight, and clearly they can still make good ones based on your results and I just got a dud. Factory ammo (multiple different flavors of Norma PH was in the 2.5-4" range for 5 shot groups for me).

Barnes vortex 168 TTSX also shot well from my 308. Factory Winchester ballistic silver tip 180's shoot like a shotgun from my EW. Hornady 165 BTSP shoot sub MOA from both 06's. Some guns just hate certain ammo and love others.

I have the very rifle you speak of. M70 sporter in 25-06. Bought it less than a year ago. Right out of the box, it was misfiring about half the time. Thought I had bad primers in my handloads, so tried a box of hornady factory ammo. Same thing. Took it to my gunsmith, and a hundred and some bucks later, it was fixed. Bad firing pin and spring. Seriously? From a brand new rifle? Wow. So I got it back. Pillar bedded the stock. Glass bedded the action, and replaced the trigger spring. Should be good. Or not. Accuracy absolutely sucked. Used half a dozen different bullets. About the same with powder. Used 100 grain, 115 grain, 117 grain, and 120 grain. Accuracy hovered around 1 1/4". Sometimes a little better, often times worse. Tried solid copper hammers as well. Every now and then, it would throw a 3/4" group, and I was all excited, and the next day, with the same ammo, it'd be double, or even triple that. Finally, I just stuck it in a corner until this last weekend. Decided I was going to clean the holy bejesus out of it with some really potent copper solvent. So i used montana extreme copper killer, and scrubbed the bore and let it sit. Ran a bronze brush down it maybe a dozen times, followed by about 20 patches. Then I did the same process over again a 2nd time, then a 3rd time. Spent a good 4-5 hours cleaning it. After that, I loaded up 3 rounds of 120 grain speer hot-cors up, ahead of 50 grains of Norma MRP. 1 1/2" group. Loaded up 3 more with 51 grains. 1" group. 3 more at 52 grains. 1/2" group. 3 more at 52 resulted in 1/4" group. Shot @ 200 yards yesterday with 51.2 grains of MRP. 1st group @ 1 1/4" and next group @ 1 7/8". Avg velocity was 3017 with ES of 6 and change and SD of 2 and change. I can't explain any of what happened with any certitude, but I'm guessing that between getting a couple hundred rounds down the barrel, and that 4 hour cleaning job, that the barrel finally settled in. I could be wrong, but that's all I have is a guess.

Last edited:
For what it's worth: I had two Featherweights in .243. Bought the first in 1985. It was attractive but would not shoot. I sent it back to Winchester and they replaced it. The 'new' rifle was no better, shooting 3-4" at 100 yards, before and after two Gunsmiths I've trusted went though it. I'm a fair shot. All my other rifles are sub-moa. Replaced it with a Savage Light-weight all weather hunter. Shoots ragged one-hole groups with the same ammo and scopes. Maybe it was "just my luck". I like their look and feel but am scared of trying again...

I own several pre and post 64 Model 70's. They have all performed well with excellent accuracy and total reliability.
My most cherished rifle for decades. A pre64 Supergrade(1957) in 30-06. Still shoots sub MOA.
D16F3D5E-CB53-4E77-BB41-47624D3C1A2E.jpeg

I own a M 70 Target rifle from 1937 and still going strong on barrel #2. (takes a lot to wear out a 30-06 bbl !)
I have a "few" mod 70's, all but one are pre-64. My favorite is the 1950 target in -06 on it's 3rd barrel. Current barrel is a no taper Krieger.......hammer time anyone?

The M70 is a nice rifle and I have had several, one for 43 years. I shot so many rounds through that rifle as a kid it had no business surviving. I learned to reload with it starting at age 14 with very little guidance and we are both still kicking (small miracle). I really like the recoil lug formed into the action but there is one drawback. If you ever want to customize it with a new stock your options are limited when compared to the 700. I think H-S and Bell and Carlson have a few options but a light carbon tactical stock is hard to find. If you plan on leaving it as-is it should be a great rifle for many years. If your accuracy is not where you want it you can always replace the barrel and tighten the twist rate for the 131 Blackjacks or hopefully some up and coming hunting specific 25 cal heavies

The M70 is a nice rifle and I have had several, one for 43 years. I shot so many rounds through that rifle as a kid it had no business surviving. I learned to reload with it starting at age 14 with very little guidance and we are both still kicking (small miracle). I really like the recoil lug formed into the action but there is one drawback. If you ever want to customize it with a new stock your options are limited when compared to the 700. I think H-S and Bell and Carlson have a few options but a light carbon tactical stock is hard to find. If you plan on leaving it as-is it should be a great rifle for many years. If your accuracy is not where you want it you can always replace the barrel and tighten the twist rate for the 131 Blackjacks or hopefully some up and coming hunting specific 25 cal heavies

Mcmillan and manners both offer inletted stocks.

Attachments

• AAB8BAC4-6CAF-4E9C-98CD-AA2B56D95E7B.jpeg
    AAB8BAC4-6CAF-4E9C-98CD-AA2B56D95E7B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 180
The MOA trigger is useless. My problem is I bought an XPR with MOA trigger and it's not the same as the M70 trigger. Three gunsmiths refused to work on it to reduce trigger pull weight and there are no after market options.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.