Winchester M70 Dilema

Tex_Hunter

Hi All, I am in the middle of a project to build a more appropriate rifle for hiking/hunting in the woods (all of my current guns are tactical style behemoths).

For various sentimental and emotional reasons I have settled on a Winchester M70 as my platform to build from and 280 Remington as the caliber. I have a B&C medalist stock (takeoff from a Extreme Weather stainless I bought second hand) and a Bartlein #3B 8.7:1 twist barrel blank. I'll top the final product with a Razor HD AMG 6-24 that I have lying around.

The question is down to donor rifles here. I have a new generation (Baco) Model 70 Super Grade with the MOA trigger. It's currently chambered in 280Rem but has given me absolute hell working up a load (3 different powders and two different bullet types and cant get it to group much better than 1-1.25 MOA). That I am thinking of using, but the dilema is this:

What are the pro's/con's of the new style MOA trigger (I would replace with a Timney as part of the build) vs the old "Classic" New Haven trigger. My first rifle was a Model 70 Classic featherweight that had the old style trigger and it felt like it was bomb proof (and popular tales from gun writers indicates this is in fact true). I had a gunsmith lighten it to around 4lbs and it was amazing.

That old rifle got stolen over 10 years ago, but I have since found a couple "Classic" New Haven rifles online that have been really tempting me, but I am really stuck on whether paying $800-900 for one of those is really worth it to get what is perceived at least as a more desireable trigger vs. having my "modern" M70 re-built.

I guess this is really a debate about triggers rather than rifles, thoughts? Is the new style trigger better/more reliable?

Last edited:
Take your present Baco and rebarrel w/ 3B or 4 contour, have your action trued, bed it, and put a Timney on it at 2-2 1/2 lbs. I've done two Extreme Weathers that way and they shoot great.

Rhett

The newest Timney triggers are great; Bryan Blake put one on my first 28N; love it. Can't tell the diff between it and the Jewell on my other 28N.

I have a .338 Edge on a Mod 70 action that is a tack driver; I bought it from someone on another website and it shot as advertised. That said, if I were you, I would just throw in the extra $ reqd for a Borden, Defiance, Stiller, etc. Not sure you are saving all that much after truing, etc.

IMG_8618.JPG

Pre '64 featherweight .280rem with stainless 1:9 Jury barrel, ceracoted.

Mojo = priceless

I build quite a few switch barrels on Model 70's, it is my preferred CRF action to use.
When I can, I use the Baco models, but if I can't I will source a shot out Classic.
The new MoA triggers are very good in my opinion. The old trigger is very sort after due to it's simple design and ease of adjustment.
The old trigger is also very easy to stone, if required, as I have only ever come across a couple of the dozens I have seen that needed it.
Either way, the Baco is a very good product and the one piece bottom metal is a HUGE winner in my book.

Cheers.

I build quite a few switch barrels on Model 70's, it is my preferred CRF action to use.
When I can, I use the Baco models, but if I can't I will source a shot out Classic.
The new MoA triggers are very good in my opinion. The old trigger is very sort after due to it's simple design and ease of adjustment.
The old trigger is also very easy to stone, if required, as I have only ever come across a couple of the dozens I have seen that needed it.
Either way, the Baco is a very good product and the one piece bottom metal is a HUGE winner in my book.

Cheers.
Thanks, this is along the lines of the practical experience that I was hoping to hear about... since the rifle has been a bit of dog from the start I think my hesitation was mostly mental.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts