Winchester M70 action

Yeah, I've got enough money sunk into customs I don't need to try and make the ol model 70 that.lol. The 9.3 looks cool but I'm trying to forgo the gunsmith route and I'd have to get the barrel shoulder recut for proper headspace correct? With the 35W I'm just sending JES the barrel and then I'll just screw it back on. Headspace will be the same.
currently refinishing the stock. Opened up the channel to free float, glass bedded it, and sanded it. Going to start applying finish today. Overall it was a gorgeous looking stock under the scratch up varnish.
58D7BF70-5605-4F99-B611-79563E05EFCA.jpeg

Nope the 9.3 shoulder is farther ahead than the 35W. JES has done two 30-06 conversions for me. One to 35W, one to 9.3x62. Neither required any barrel shoulder work.

No big difference except 9.3 has better choice of bullets, especially heavies.

I would still recommend using .35W headspace gauges to confirm the actual headspace is actually what it should be when the barrel is screwed back on from my perspcetive as safety precaution. I bet you could borrow a set from someone from this thread.

I would still recommend using .35W headspace gauges to confirm the actual headspace is actually what it should be when the barrel is screwed back on from my perspcetive as safety precaution. I bet you could borrow a set from someone from this thread.
There is no difference between a 30-06 set of guage and the 338-06, 35 whelen or 270. All cartridges based on the 06 use the same gauges unless there is a difference in the shoulder.

True, but I had not seen there was a headspace discussion and still recommend any barrel being set to any receiver be set with headspace gauge as standard safety precaution and used the 35W caliber only as a reference perspective (headspace gauges for calibers that share the same shoulder .25-06, .270 Winchester, 6.5-06, 8mm-06, .338-06, and .35 Whelen). At least I would not be comfortable with a new barrel without gauging it.

Heck I have .270 (go,no-go, field) set if he wants to borrow to confirm. I was thinking of only safety considerations for him.

True, but I had not seen there was a headspace discussion and still recommend any barrel being set to any receiver be set with headspace gauge as standard safety precaution and used the 35W caliber only as a reference perspective (headspace gauges for calibers that share the same shoulder .25-06, .270 Winchester, 6.5-06, 8mm-06, .338-06, and .35 Whelen). At least I would not be comfortable with a new barrel without gauging it.

Heck I have .270 (go,no-go, field) set if he wants to borrow to confirm. I was thinking of only safety considerations for him.
He is having the existing barrel rebored, not a new barrel. Headspace will not change from being rebored. .

So the next time I read this I will put down the 3rd Heineken.... Thanks Dean2, should have caught that.
No problem. Done the same thing many times myself and couldn't even blame it on Heineken. Stay well, this is a fun place to hang out.

Yeah, I've got enough money sunk into customs I don't need to try and make the ol model 70 that.lol. The 9.3 looks cool but I'm trying to forgo the gunsmith route and I'd have to get the barrel shoulder recut for proper headspace correct? With the 35W I'm just sending JES the barrel and then I'll just screw it back on. Headspace will be the same.
currently refinishing the stock. Opened up the channel to free float, glass bedded it, and sanded it. Going to start applying finish today. Overall it was a gorgeous looking stock under the scratch up varnish.
View attachment 202233
What finish you usin' ?

Just the birch wood Casey tru oil. I like the glossy high shine. I've used it before, only complaint is how soft it is. I wish I could get something as hard and shinny as factory finishes but not sure what to use for that?

Just the birch wood Casey tru oil. I like the glossy high shine. I've used it before, only complaint is how soft it is. I wish I could get something as hard and shinny as factory finishes but not sure what to use for that?
Look at Chem-Pak Pro-Custom Oil Gunstock Finish at Brownells, it's Tung Oil and Urethane. Comes in a spray in satin or a rub on in gloss /satin depending on how you rub it. I like it, I have a lot of acid in my system. Regular oil finishes don't last long where I touch 'em. This Tung Oil & Urethane does.

View attachment 202233
That stock is going to look grate. Going with the 35 Whelen will be a fine chose, If JES can do a 1-12 twist that will handle any .358 bullet you can get all the way up to Woodleigh's 310gr. The 1-14 twist are good up to 275gr. The 1-16 twist are suppose to be good only up to 250gr. witch many say is the best bullet weight for the 35 Whelen, but I have heard some guys say their 1-16 twist barrels shot the 310 bullets fine.