Winchester M70 action

Ross1147

So I inherited my grandpas model 70 when he passed 2 years ago. Finally got up the nerve to sit down to start working on it today. I really don't want a 30-06, but can't seem to find it in me to change the barrel. So I figured I'll pull it and send it to JES and get him to bore it out to a 35 Whelen. That way I get to keep original barrel.

Question here is are all ~1970s M70s this rough? Some of these edges are sharp enough to cut it you're not watching out. Or, was there some work done on thus gun at some point? Also, why are there 2 screws in the side for what looks like to be a side bolt release? Or are they mounts for some side peep site or something? Thanks!
33A8CF9B-E17D-4626-A662-C2001C933FA2.jpeg

1CEB3050-C493-4292-86BB-45609583C50F.jpeg

817BF64C-D8DE-4CD9-8655-252299F449F1.jpeg

The rear holes are for a receiver sight. Why not keep it 30-06? That action looks rough as hell from the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_161630.jpg
    IMG_20200626_161630.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 186
It's a push feed and they were not well finished below the wood line.

Before you send it to JES remove the "30-06" marking with a mill file and crocus cloth. Otherwise he will overstamp it with ugly "XXXX". If you remove it he will mark "35 W" where the "30-06" was.

Will make a great 35 W but a better 9.3x62.

Not really a fan of the 30-06? Think I'm tainted from when I was a kid. My first rifle I bought at 13 years old was one of the first Vanguards they had in 30-06. Missed a buck with that gun and it was stolen later that year. Replaced it with a browning a bolt 30-06. Missed another buck with that gun and it never did fit me right so I sold it and bought a 25-06. So since then ~20ish years ago I've never wanted another 30-06. And I know missing the deer had nothing to do with the gun...just call it superstition! I have 4 30 cals right now, does fit in nicely between the 308 and WSM but not sure I'd ever use it?

hmmmm, 9.3x62. I'll have to look at that. Not sure what it is?

I also know for a fact this rifle has shot both a 308 and 270 out of it. I saw the 308 straight walled brass after the fact and I was there when he shot the 270. Not sure how either fired, especially the 308 but it did? So not sure what's going on in the barrel either.lol. It looks fine looking down it but I'm sure if it was scoped there'd be something interesting..like bouncing a 277 cal bullet down it.

The 9.3x62 is what the 35W wishes it were.
Back when there were German colonists in Africa, the 9.3x62 was the "rifle behind the door" and killed everything that walked.
More potent than the 35W.

So I inherited my grandpas model 70 when he passed 2 years ago. Finally got up the nerve to sit down to start working on it today. I really don't want a 30-06, but can't seem to find it in me to change the barrel. So I figured I'll pull it and send it to JES and get him to bore it out to a 35 Whelen. That way I get to keep original barrel.

Question here is are all ~1970s M70s this rough? Some of these edges are sharp enough to cut it you're not watching out. Or, was there some work done on thus gun at some point? Also, why are there 2 screws in the side for what looks like to be a side bolt release? Or are they mounts for some side peep site or something? Thanks!
View attachment 201828
View attachment 201829
View attachment 201830

I think your grandpa would want you to enjoy the gun. If the cartridge isn't for you, replace it. Same thing for the stock. Do you really think grandpa wants it just sitting in the safe?
I think the same way about the '06. Does nothing great or bad - like vanilla.
Were it me, I'd replace the barrel and keep the original.

Guess I'm not the person to comment. The very first thing I would do is take the old girl to the range. Get some Fed premium with 168gr sierra matchking bullet and see what she does. If it shoots like you want it will kill anything you need to kill. I would opt for a cartridge that I can get anywhere any time! That's why I shoot an 06, and have for years

View attachment 201828
View attachment 201829
View attachment 201830

Those two screws are for a receiver sight, there are many rifles that are drilled and tapped like this from the factory. JES, Jessie, has rebored two Ruger 77s from 30-06 to 35 Whelen for me, both are excellent shooters, I would not hesitate to make a 300 yard shot if it were presented. My son and I shoot 8 inch steel plates at 300 yards with ours. At 100 yards it will shoot MOA. We both use the 35 Whelens for black bear hunting, the guides smile when we tell them we are shooting Whelens. When asked about the smile they say, "Because we don't have to track them!" Good luck with your grandpa's rifle, enjoy "it" and may more fond memories with it.

Guess I'm not the person to comment. The very first thing I would do is take the old girl to the range. Get some Fed premium with 168gr sierra matchking bullet and see what she does. If it shoots like you want it will kill anything you need to kill. I would opt for a cartridge that I can get anywhere any time! That's why I shoot an 06, and have for years
Fed premium with 168gr sierra matchking bullet
Good luck findin' them without nickel plated brass.

35W is a great option. I too am not a fan of the aught six, too much recoil for the performance it delivers, much prefer the 7 Rem Mag or a 308. Most 35 Whelens I have ever shot were very accurate and reasonable recoil considering the thump they lay on game. I would have your gunsmith clean up and re-blue the action while he is boring out the barrel. The push feed guns were some of the poorest finished Winchesters ever made, but they work okay. Always great memeories shooting guns that have been handed down.

Fed premium with 168gr sierra matchking bullet
Good luck findin' them without nickel plated brass.

I love nickel plated brass. Never had any problems with it in 222, 257R. 25-06, 257 WB, 270, 280, 308, 30-06, 300 H&H, 35 W and 375 H&H. But I just don't repeat what I read, I actually shoot it.