Winchester Extreme Weather SS

COhntr

I have found a new but old stock winchester extreme weather ss at a LGS for what i consider a good deal. The counter guy said that they have had it for 2 yrs and it hasn't moved. The barrel say's that it was made in portugal for browning firearms, are these a quality gun, in your opinion? I have never owned a winchester rifle and was really interested in purchasing the gun. It is chambered in .308, has the stainless barrel & action with a bell & carlson composite stock. It was originally listed at $1399 and it is now marked down to $899. Looking for some input from someone who owns one. Thanks in advance

I own 2 in long actions but immediately rebarreled. bedded, and retriggered. 264WM and 6.5 PRC. Both shoot great. That is a good deal. My 264 new was $1100. The other I bought used for $700 so $899 looks to be a good price. I rebarreled for better twist rate and better contour.

I have a few of these, they are better made than the New Haven guns and I wouldn't hesitate dropping the cash on another.
Haggle and see what you can get it down to.
My favourite quote when haggling is this:
Would you prefer x amount or zero as you watch me walk out the store?

Cheers.
P. S. I have made several exceptional deals using that quote...it makes them ponder.

I own two Win EW SS rifles. A 264 mag & a 30-06. Both great rifles . These are like the Pre 64 but with modern steels. Accurate .I like the very positive claw extractor. Also the fixed case ejector. Pull the bolt back slowly & it will lay the empty case in your hand. Pull the bolt back briskly & it will throw the empty well clear of the rifle. Box magazine with a floor plate. No funky plastic magazines.

I had one in 270 that I never could get to shoot better than 2 MOA or so. I tried tons of bullets in different weights and styles. I sent it back to Winchester twice due to issues with the cocking piece galling/cutting a groove into the bolt body. Action never did feel right when opening the bolt. I ended up selling it for a loss two years later.

Even as a big controlled round feed fan, I would have a hard time buying the extreme weather over a cheaper Tikka t3x superlite and adding your choice in stocks. YMMV, I know others have had good experiences (which is why I bought it in the first place).

I will gripe about the barrel lengths. In long action 30-06 family cartridges I'd really like to see 24" barrels, but that's a personal preference.

That's a good price if you want a 308. Have seen over the years a lot of posts were gun owners were not happy with the accuracy of the model 70 ss extreme's. I have one in 7-08 that was one of the hardest rifle's I've owned to develop a accurate load for but finally found a load with a flat based bullet that worked plus I have to keep the barrel dirty. I like the looks and love how they balance when carrying or shouldering the rifle. Like above post I would not prefer a 30-06 base cartridge in a 22 in barrel but the 308 in a 22 " would come close to achieving it's full potential.

I have 3 - a 264, a 300 WM, and a 30/06 tho immediately removed the barrel and sent it off to Bartlein for a 280AI. The 264 and 300 shoot well and accurate with the factory barrels. The 280 with the Bartlein is in the process to loading now, but is great with factory ammo (Nosler). The other two shoot factory ammo currently (Nosler again) and are sub moa at 100. Before firing, all were re-bedded. That may have helped. The claw extractor is why I use them.

For $899, I would. If it doesn't shoot, rebarrel with a premium, and you'll be in it about as much as if you purchased new.

I actually really like the .308 for an all around hunting round, and it's probably one the most underrated as well, i have shot one since i was 13 and while i own many rifles in different calibers, it's usually the one i grab first. I went and did the paperwork today and it looks like the last round of shootings has overloaded the colorado cbi, so i will not take possession for 4-5 days. I have quite a collection of bullets and powders, so that's not an issue. And this will be my first winchester, so i am really looking forward to getting it in hand. Thanks for the info

I found one at a pawn shop at a 50% off sale for $550 in 30-06 a few years ago. Just lucked into it, and its been an awesome rifle for me. You'll be glad with it if you get it.