Winchester extreme weather 270 WSM

Goose71

Hello. Does anybody have any real experience with this firearm. Are the new Winchesters worth the money for quality And fit. I never had a Winchester I always had RemingtonBut their quality went way down. And I like the floor plate rather than a detachable box magazine.

I own 2 EWs but I rebarreled both. One from new(264) for faster twist and heavier contour,2nd I bought used(264) and built my PRC. Replaced triggers. Both LAs. I really like mine. I do also have a Coyote Light in 270WSM that's pretty much factory except for trigger. It comes w/ heavier barrel. All sub MOA. 264 is .3 MOA. But I load my own too.

Rhett

I have one in the 6.5Creed and load for one in .243Win. They are priced about right. The trigger is ok and the barrels have been pretty good/easy to break in on both. The fit is good on both and neither had any finish flaws that you see in alot of factory guns in the same price point. They are both easily sub minute guns and the Creed is not the least bit finicky, showing good accuracy with basically all of the components I have tried. The .243 was a little tougher to tune and may need to be bedded, but what it shoots well it groups really well.

Have an EW & a stainless Featherweight both in 264 mag. Love them both. Very accurate & as you I like the box magazine with floor plate. Would absolutely buy again. Both are very accurate.
I've thought about buying a m70 264 wm classic & trying to run 135 atips in it. Worst case scenario is that I would have to run 130s in it being it's a 9 twist. What bullets or ammo does yours prefer?

Don't worry about it. With their 1/9 twist they both ( my rifles ) shoot the Nosler 140 AB ( a long bullet ) into sub MOA groups using Rel 33 in my rifles . Also last season used the Hammer 121 gr 6.5 in the Feather Weight to penetrated both front shoulders of a very mature elk at about 80 yds & a DRT recovery. . The 1/9 twist will shoot 140gr class bullets quite accurately. It will surprise you if you give it a try.

Don't worry about it. With their 1/9 twist they both ( my rifles ) shoot the Nosler 140 AB ( a long bullet ) into sub MOA groups using Rel 33 in my rifles . Also last season used the Hammer 121 gr 6.5 in the Feather Weight to penetrated both front shoulders of a very mature elk at about 80 yds & a DRT recovery. . The 1/9 twist will shoot 140gr class bullets quite accurately. It will surprise you if you give it a try.
I bet your 264 wm is smoking fast with RL33.

With the 140 Nosler AB out of the EW 26" bbl velocity is 3222fps. With the 121 gr Hammer out of the 24" FW vel runs at 3418 fps. They are excellent rifles IMO. I was able to adjust triggers down to 36 oz. The new Win triggers work fine but I still prefer the old style. I guess because I lived with them from way back. These new Winchesters appear to me to be accurate dependable rifles. They fit in just fine with my pre 64's & I'm sure they will endure the test of time. It's how you take care of your rifle . I have a Rem 700 ( yes I do own a couple Rem 700's ). One a 264 mag I bought new in 1964. I know just after the wheel came out. Any way still a very accurate rifle. In 2014 took a extremely large bull with it , my best ever. The rifles was 50 & I was 70. Public land hunting by my self. Keep in mind this rifle has a 23.5" factory barrel, blued, & stainless , 1/9 twist. . That's the way Rem made them back then. Never, & I mean I never shoot more than two shoots thru a 264 mag barrel with out a complete cool down. This I believe is why my barrels last. I understand I have the luxury of my own range on my land which allows me this time. Those who shoot on public ranges just don't have this time.

With the 140 Nosler AB out of the EW 26" bbl velocity is 3222fps. With the 121 gr Hammer out of the 24" FW vel runs at 3418 fps. They are excellent rifles IMO. I was able to adjust triggers down to 36 oz. The new Win triggers work fine but I still prefer the old style. I guess because I lived with them from way back. These new Winchesters appear to me to be accurate dependable rifles. They fit in just fine with my pre 64's & I'm sure they will endure the test of time. It's how you take care of your rifle . I have a Rem 700 ( yes I do own a couple Rem 700's ). One a 264 mag I bought new in 1964. I know just after the wheel came out. Any way still a very accurate rifle. In 2014 took a extremely large bull with it , my best ever. The rifles was 50 & I was 70. Public land hunting by my self. Keep in mind this rifle has a 23.5" factory barrel, blued, & stainless , 1/9 twist. . That's the way Rem made them back then. Never, & I mean I never shoot more than two shoots thru a 264 mag barrel with out a complete cool down. This I believe is why my barrels last. I understand I have the luxury of my own range on my land which allows me this time. Those who shoot on public ranges just don't have this time.
That's some fine rifles you have ,with good performance & a lot of good memories to go along with them. I shoot my mag rifles like you do. Two shots & then a long cool down or put it up & shoot another rifle. I do have some moderate case capacity rifles that I will shoot up to 5 shots in one sitting but I don't always do that many. My range is a home also so there's been times when I shoot 7 days a week.

Back to the OP, I've seen guys at the range trying to run 5 shot strings on their EWs with factory ammo and first two group and then open up to 1.5-2 MOA or more. That's all factory contours and barrels in my opinion or them. I put a 3B Bartlien on my 264 and a 4 on the PRC. After break in, 5 shot strings stack in a dime at 200. My Coyote stacks in to 1/2 MOA w/ factory barrel at 5. Too bad they discontinued the Coyote. Love my M70s.
Rhett

Back to the OP, I've seen guys at the range trying to run 5 shot strings on their EWs with factory ammo and first two group and then open up to 1.5-2 MOA or more. That's all factory contours and barrels in my opinion or them. I put a 3B Bartlien on my 264 and a 4 on the PRC. After break in, 5 shot strings stack in a dime at 200. My Coyote stacks in to 1/2 MOA w/ factory barrel at 5. Too bad they discontinued the Coyote. Love my M70s.
Rhett

It is a light contour. Mine shoots the first 3 sub MOA and then opens up if shooting a relatively fast string. But what volume do you really anticipate shooting with a fluted sporter barrel. Mines in a mcmillan game scout now and I think it's a perfect do anything hunting rifle. I've got 3 other new production Winchester's and they also shoot well so good experiences across a fairly broad sample size.

I have a current EW version in 270 Win. It's been a very good shooter and fit an finish is ver good for a factory rifle. Did add a Timney trigger to mine. Love the action feeds flawlessly and very smooth.

My newest rifle is a EW 300 wsm, also have a Remington mountain with the same stock but in 280 Rem. The quality is much better on the EW but the Rem has a lot less recoil. The EW is a bit heavier and is more accurate. Would get another Winchester but get one with a muzzle brake. Extreme Weather tungsten in 7 mm Rem mag would be perfect in my option .

I've got one in 300wsm love the rifle never had an issue feeding the stubby little cartridge I hand load getting .5moa 180AB 62.5gr of hv100 2930fps I could push it faster but I'm quite happy with the results only thing I changed was the stock.... I'm 6'3" with fairly large hands so it didn't fit me at all. If I were going to do it over again knowing what I know now I'd do it the same except I'd try and find a used one as I'd be changing out that stock. Hope this helps good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.