Winchester brass

If you can find RWS (German) cases, ammo get it. Huntington's sells brass but cartridge choices are limited. It's very pricey but primer pockets last almost forever. JM

I reckon I have to be the one descenting opinion here. I have had only one complaint about Winchester brass ever. every time I get a bag of either 50 or 100 pieces of brass there are some of super light ones and some super heavy ones. the weight is consistently all over the scale. I have gotten a few great groups of brass out of a lot of 1,000 pieces. I might get 250 that are within 0.5 grains and that is my core of my hunting load development ammo for the first firing. All the other stuff is fired for practice. All are weighed again after the first firing, trimming, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole centering and uniforming. After all that I find my one or two groups of 250 to 500 that are within the 0.5 to 1.0 grains and then used for my hunting/shooting cases. the rest are either sold, used for practice, or uniformed even more for hunting loads. I have yet to have a split neck (except for R-P) a loose primer pocket (except for R-P, Federal, PPU). I have had even better luck with Hornady brass. Norma is wonderful, Lapua is the best I have ever used. I recently tried to get Peterson, Norma, and Lapua 7MM R/M or 264 Win Mag brass. no dice. now I have to go to my old standby Hornady for my new rifle or I will have to have a mixed bag for my 270-264 Win Mag rifle. I have 300 rounds of mixed head stamps in 7MM R/M brass that I have collected over the last year or so. I gave the 2,000 rounds I used to have to an uncle for his gun. I still would like 250 rounds of Peterson or Lapua or Norma for my hunting ammo.
The brass I have never had any luck with is Remington-Peters. that stuff is absolute garbage. target loads split case bodies/necks, after 2 firings the primer pockets get loose, the brass will not size correctly unless I anneal it every time after firing, and the worst is nearly 1/2 of the brass splits on the first firing. My 17 Rem is even worse. that brass hardly ever lasts over 2 firings. I bought 600 new virgin brass, after the first firing I had 400 pieces of brass. after the second firing I had 250 pieces of brass. after the third firing I had 112 pieces of brass. I am on my 5th firing of the brass and I have 60 left. I am going to find a boat load of 204 ruger once fired brass and form my own 17 rem brass from something other than R-P, Federal, or PPU.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.