Winchester 70 Featherweight

If you haven't tried it yet, go on the attack with a good solvent like Montana Extreme or Boretech with a little JBs' for good measure. Then have it looked at by someone with a bore scope. After all the above, get to the range with some good factory ammo and see how it does. Makes sense to spend a few bucks before spending hundreds. Good luck!

I had a rifle bequeathed to me three years ago - only nobody let me know and it sat for 3 years. It's a newer design 70 Featherweight and the barrel is pretty shot due to a combination of neglect and heavy use. Any reason it wouldn't shoot well if I have it re-barreled? Anybody know any smiths they'd recommend?

To answer your question I would first clean the bore up and try shooting the rifle. My experience with Featherweight rifles is that they are not the most accurate shooters due to the lack of steel around the bore and the barrel moving due to excessive heat and the barrel moving because it heated up. And....the answer to your question is there is not reason that your rifle will not shoot well if it is re barreled; and then rebedded/restocked and re-triggered. I buy donor rifles for the actions only and rebuild them and they all shoot just fine. I use OLSON GUNSMITHING out of Montana, his work is impeccable and his prices are fair. Although I use Olson, I am sure there are many good gunsmiths to re-barrel your rifle and have it shoot well. Good luck with your build.

My Win. 70 Featherweight in .270 Win shoots MOA. with reloads. I feel confident with it out to 400yds.
My barrel fouls quickly however especially with Barnes bullets.
I agree with others... clean it and shoot it. See if it meets your expectations.

So much good advice here. I agree with these steps the most...
1) Clean the heck out of it with a true COPPER removing solvent, such as KG-12 Big Bore Cleaning Solvent (https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...-solvents/kg-12-copper-solvent-prod25965.aspx)
2) Fire a box of David Tubb FinalFinish TMS bullets through it. (http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-loaded-ammo)
Then, if it still doesn't shoot...
3) Contact Charley Robertson at Score High Gunsmithing in Albuquerque, NM ("I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque!") - https://scorehi.com/

Hi , I use Bob White, in Lake Hopatcong NJ . A Bench Rest shooter and Gunsmith. He can do Pilar bedding and Glass bedding and barreling as you wish. I had a few rifles cleaned with JB and the trigger adjusted , along with bedding. The rifle loved t it , Lenny

Hi , I use Bob White, in Lake Hopatcong NJ . A Bench Rest shooter and Gunsmith. He can do Pilar bedding and Glass bedding and barreling as you wish. I had a few rifles cleaned with JB and the trigger adjusted , along with bedding. The rifle loved it . My Friends Win Feather weight classic , in 270 Win loves my loads of 55.0 grains of IMR 4350 , in Light Win cases 185.0 to 185 .4 or 185.5 to 185.9 example , Win LR Primers , 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips. My Weath. Ultralight, in 270 win loves 59.2 grains of H 4831 SC , in Light Win cases , same primer and same bullet . Lenny

There are a lot of good gunsmiths in the country. Some specialize in Winchester,some in all rifles. Make phone calls and find someone that you feel comfortable with and check references. You might check with JE Custom on this sight, he has shed a lot of knowledge here. I happen to be friends with a couple local gunsmiths in my area, and one taxidermist. Yes that's by design.

Have you tried shooting the rifle? I've seen some pretty rough barrels still shoot well enough to hunt with. However, I would probably pick Kevin Weaver to work on a M70 above all the others. Mainly because he used to be 20 miles from where I lived, he's a little further now but I still take my rifles to him.
I have tried shooting the rifle. 4" with lots of outliers from a sled.

If you have tried cleaning this rifle and found it to be shooting 4 inch groups with fliers then perhaps it is time for a new barrel. Just one last suggestion/thought, is the sighting system reliable meaning a good, proven scope, is it mounted properly with all of the screws torqued (action/rings/base/stock)? 4 inches with fliers seems pretty extreme, are your bullets key-holing by any chance??

Last edited:
Let's go back to some other basics. What scope and mounts are on the rifle, and do you have another you could try? Also, take the barreled action out of the stock, look for trouble, and then re-install with a torque wrench depending on what stock you have.

Shooting off a "lead sled" has led to more issues from members on here than you would think. And it is a known "scope killer" as well. I'm liking the "try another scope" idea, retorque the action screws, & try it off bags (instead of the sled.) Seems like if there is an accuracy issue from a sled, the problem can often be traced back to the sled use. Hopefully your scope isn't ruined, but you wouldn't be the first its happened to.

By the way, what cartridge is this gun firing? Does the gun have a muzzlebrake? A loose brake is another common issue.

Shooting off a "lead sled" has led to more issues from members on here than you would think. And it is a known "scope killer" as well. I'm liking the "try another scope" idea, retorque the action screws, & try it off bags (instead of the sled.) Seems like if there is an accuracy issue from a sled, the problem can often be traced back to the sled use. Hopefully your scope isn't ruined, but you wouldn't be the first its happened to.

By the way, what cartridge is this gun firing? Does the gun have a muzzlebrake? A loose brake is another common issue.
I've tried 2 scopes - both vx3i - the first scope has since gone back onto another rifle and is shooting well. The cartridge is 308. I've used sleds for years but i did fire some prone groups with similar results. I'll check the action screws!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.