• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Winchester 338 win mag, super grade, W/ Boss, Price ⬇️

PM answered. I've been asked twice about the BOSS brake. I've never owned a rifle with the boss system and quite honestly know little about it. If you know much about it or if it can be removed feel free to chime in. Thanks

Boss introduced by Browning in, I believe, September 1993. Boss has been reported to be capable of tuning barrel harmonics to improve accuracy, at least with factory ammo. This was the original intent of Boss before it was perforated to perform as a muzzle brake. There is some disagreement among users regarding effectiveness of the brake version as a harmonics tuner. Some folks have reported that handloading exceeds Boss capability. Like any muzzle attachment, there are reports that a Boss that is not secure adversely effects accuracy. Such result is apparently akin to cousin Robbie's ill-fitted custom muzzle brake on any rifle.

That's about all I know from first hand experience and inter-web search info gleaned when researching the year Boss was introduced.

I have this same rifle. With the BOSS it does not kick at all. BOSS can fine tune your barrel, especially with factory ammo. If you hand load, it still works. It is also a muzzle brake which makes it loud. Muzzle brake can be replaced with solid. Some people have it cut off and muzzle re=crowned. I LOVE IT! Great rifle.

Recent Posts